My experience with Wilkins RV

Status
Not open for further replies.
We purchased a Heartland brand recreational vehicle at the PA RV show in Sept, 2012. Wilkins was the dealer representing the model of RV we were interested in so we did not have a choice of dealers. This did not appear to be a problem for us until we spoke with the local dealer. The local dealer told us that they would not do the warranty work on the unit if we did not purchase from them. When we reviewed the Heartland RV website, it also said that the dealers have the right to put customers of other dealers at the bottom of the list for repairs. This was very distressing from us. It appeared that there was a strong possibility that if we needed warranty work, we may have to travel to Wilkins which is 6 hours from us. I called Wilkins and told them that we were no longer interested in purchasing from them because we did not want to run the risk that we would have difficulty getting the repairs done. We are currently RV owners and know that it is not "if something breaks", it is when something breaks. We were spending $70,000 for this unit and we wanted to be sure we could have it taken care of. Wilkins said that the unit had already been ordered but I knew that was not true since we had not signed a Buyers Sheet which is our agreement with the specifications of the unit to be ordered. They really strong-armed me and refused to return our $1,000 deposit. There seems to be a "dirty little secret" within the RV business and unfortunately, the customer ends up on the short end. I spoke with a Heartland Rep about this situation and he recommended contacting the BBB and posting to this forum.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Although I don't understand the logic in refusing to do warranty work on a unit purchased someplace else it seems to happen frequently. My way of thinking is it would be an opportunity to earn a new customers business. That said, If your still interested in a Heartland product I would recommend looking for an independent service center in your area. Heartland WILL in most cases authorize them to do warranty work.

BTW Welcome to the forum!

danemayer

Hi jlchrisley,

This is an unfortunate way to get welcomed to the Heartland Owners Forum, but let me assure you that you're welcome. There's a lot of useful information here, along with a great bunch of people who are quick to reach out and help other RVers.

Many local dealers use the type of threat you encountered as a way of forcing you to buy local, usually at a higher price. Nevertheless, many of us, including myself, have bought from distant dealers. It's usually not too hard to find a local dealer who is willing to do warranty work. In addition, Heartland is pretty flexible about authorizing warranty service by locations that don't sell Heartland products.

There are a couple of things about warranty that aren't immediately obvious. Many, if not most of the problems will be warranted by the appliance or subassembly provider. For example, warranty work on Dexter brakes and suspension parts comes directly from Dexter. When you go to the dealer for service, this is usually all handled without your knowledge, but the dealer gets the warranty authorization and is reimbursed by the supplier, not by Heartland. It's the same for other brands. Dometic authorizes and fulfills warranty on their refrigerators, A/C, etc. Lippert warrants the frame. Shurflo warrants the water pump. Sharp warrants my TV.

Some owners would prefer that Heartland handle it all, but the upside is that most any RV tech who does warranty work is already set up to do warranty work on all of these appliances and subassemblies. And as I mentioned, if the shop has a qualified tech, Heartland is flexible to authorize them to submit those claims that do flow through Heartland.

Another thing to consider is that RVers travel and often your service needs happen while away from home, in which case it doesn't matter who you bought from. Heartland will help you locate a repair shop where you happen to be.

All that to say that you might want to see if there's a local alternative, even if an hour or two away from your home base. That might give you the confidence to go through with your original plans.

I'd let your local dealer know that his position cuts both ways. Maybe he won't service your rig, but neither will you or anyone you know ever buy from a dealer who takes such an unfriendly position. Stop by and talk to the general manager or owner.

It's a shame that Wilkins is refusing to refund your deposit. If you paid by credit card, I think you have 90 days to file a dispute. In addition to filing with the BBB, I'd suggest writing to the show organizer, protesting the dealer's behavior.

wdk450

Call Heartland service at 877-262-8032, and ask them for their list of independent RV servicers in your area they have worked with. Discuss the whole Warranty service process with them. I think you will be happy with the outcome. You can also check http://www.rvservicereviews for RVers comments on potential servicers.

bill40

Hello jlchrisley based on where you live I believe I know the dealership. We had the same problem with them before the changed to Camping world thought their attitude may have changed but looks like not.
We called Heartland when we had a problem and they had them fix the problem but I had to put up with ten yards of BS while I was there, they did do a good job on the repairs.
There are several local RV shops in your area that are very good and very NICE to deal with. We use BKC just south of Abbottstown Larry does good work and his prices are much better than that dealer. There is a dealer near Gettysburg that has and I use them for accessories. Hope you find a Heartland rig you like at another dealer.

//heartlandowners.org/images/statusicon/user-offline.png

CeeCee

Hi, I'm not sure where you live in Pa. We live in Northwestern NJ & bought a Heartland 5th wheel in SC this summer. We've had numerous warranty work done at Harolds RV in Bath, Pa. It was never an issue with them especially since we didn't purchase the rv there. Harold & his techs couldn't have treated us better plus they fixed everything in a timely manner & even would call me with updates from Heartland. I can't say enough about the service we received. I would definitely buy thru him if you could (plus he sells Heartlands) . I will use him from now on over any dealer around. I hope this helps. Cyndi & Jerry Lewis

GOTTOYS

Buy it where you get the best price. Don't worry about warranty work. Most of the things that go wrong are small you can fix them yourself. Heartland will be happy to send you any needed parts. If something goes wrong while you are on the road what good will your local dealer be to you anyway..If you need something major repaired Heartland will help find someone to do the work..I would never let a dealer hold a gun to my head and tell me to buy it from him or else...Don

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
jlchrisley... Unless they can prove that the deposit is non-refundable (in writing), I would fly down to the local courthouse and file a small claims case against them for the $1,000.00. I bet they refund in a hurry once they get served notice to appear. I would not do business with someone like this, I would bet you can probably get what you want for a better price elsewhere. :)

Westwind

There might be a local radio or TV station that you can go to that might put out a story about your bad experience with a local RV dealer. Something like that might shake them up a little and refund that $1,000 that they owe you.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The Trailer Life magazine has a consumer column that helps with getting issues such as yours resolved. Write them a letter and they will assist you in getting the deposit refund unless you signed an agreement that the deposit is non-refundable.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
So does Good Sams Club if you are a member.

The Trailer Life magazine has a consumer column that helps with getting issues such as yours resolved. Write them a letter and they will assist you in getting the deposit refund unless you signed an agreement that the deposit is non-refundable.

dave10a

Trailer Life is the best bet. They have a wide distribution and a high success rate for proper resolve. Heartland seems to have little or no influence on their dealers.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
"Wilkins said that the unit had already been ordered but I knew that was not true since we had not signed a Buyers Sheet which is our agreement with the specifications of the unit to be ordered."

Now that I have re-read his original post, I am wondering why... that if they "purchased" ( put down the $1000.00 deposit) back in September, they have not yet agreed to the specifications? It's been near 10 weeks, shouldn't their new trailer be built and on it's way by now to the dealer? I guess if he called Heartland to see if his coach has been ordered and or in the process of being built could shed some light on the timing of his sale. Sounds a little like some communication issues at hand. I do think a good dealer could resolve the situation amicably.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
GOTTOYS:278721 said:
Buy it where you get the best price. Don't worry about warranty work. Most of the things that go wrong are small you can fix them yourself. Heartland will be happy to send you any needed parts. If something goes wrong while you are on the road what good will your local dealer be to you anyway..If you need something major repaired Heartland will help find someone to do the work..I would never let a dealer hold a gun to my head and tell me to buy it from him or else...Don

I agree with Don. There are many good independent shops that can be, or are authorized by HL to repair your rig.

Buy where you get the best bang for your buck.

Refusing to do service by a dealer is one of my hot button issues.
I can see them putting their customers first, but I can not understand a complete refusal of service.

If your local dealer doesn't want your service business, then I would steer clear of them altogether. JMHO

There are a number of good dealers out there as well, who would love to have your business.

Best of luck with what ever direction you go in. Trace

Last edited:

WILKINSRV

To all,

I wanted to take a moment and share our (Wilkins RV's) side of this story. Hopefully, after reading this, you can show some empathy for our side.
Mr. & Mrs. Chrisley contracted with us to order a 2013 Big Country Fifth Wheel at the Hershey RV Show on September 16, 2013.

As part of this contract, Mr. Chrisley signed a cancellation agreement acknowledging that if this order was cancelled without our consent, that his deposit could be retained in order to offset any damages. This is common language on buyers orders.

As stated above, Mr. & Mrs. Chrisley signed the above referenced purchase agreement on September 16, 2013. On September 18[SUP]th[/SUP], 2013, we called Mr. & Mrs. Chrisley to let them know that we had obtained financial approval for the purchase of the vehicle, reviewed rates and payments with them, and obtained their confirmation to place the order. That same day, we placed the order with the manufacturer.

Mr. & Mrs. Chrisley state that they never signed an agreement of the specifications. This is not true. They signed a buyers order at the show - and on that buyers order it specifically states, order exactly like show unit.

Pennsylvania law provides three business days for a consumer to cancel a purchase agreement, when purchasing a vehicle at an off-site sale like the Hershey RV Show. It wasn’t until October 11[SUP]th[/SUP], 2013 that Mrs. Chrisley requested that we cancel the order. At that time, we explained that not only had the order already been placed, but that the vehicle would be arriving within a couple of weeks.

Based on the purchase agreement referenced above, we placed an order for a $70,000 plus RV for Mr. & Mrs. Chrisley. We feel we have a binding contract that properly explains to Mr. & Mrs. Chrisley that their deposit may not be refunded.

Mr. & Mrs. Chrisley went to their credit card company to have the deposit charged back. After hearing our side of the story - the credit card company refused the chargeback.

I struggle with so many of you on here that instantly see us as the "bad guy." Mr. & Mrs. Chrisley signed a contract to purchase a vehicle, and based on that we purchased a $70,000 fifth wheel on their behalf. Now, becasue they want to change their mind, we are stuck with a fifth wheel that we didn't have budgeted to purchase.

I think we have to be careful as consumers. If we, as a dealer, wanted to break a contract with a consumer, the consumer would be on this forum complaining. Now in this case, the consumer breaks the contract, and they come on this forum complaining.

I could understand if we had done something wrong...but we haven't. We sell vehicles every day to customers outside of our market....probably to many of you. As was noted in this thread, there are many ways to obtain service. We work very well with so many of our customers to help and make sure they are able to get service when they are not able to bring the unit back to us. This was explained to Mrs. Chrisley, but she wasn't willing to give me the time of day. In fact, when i called her, she was at work and had to get off the phone for a work reasons. I asked if she would call me back to we could work together and come to a resolution....and she never did.

Ok...enough with our story....I apologize if this response is out of line - but I just felt that we should be able to voice our side of the story.

If you have any question or would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me @ 607-776-3103 or bwilkins@wilkinsrv.com.

Sincerely,

Brian Wilkins
Wilkins RV, Inc.
President
[h=2][/h]

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I, for one, have had nothing but positive experiences in dealing with Wilkins RV....in fact, if it had been logistically possible, we would have purchased our Landmark from Wilkins...

Status
Not open for further replies.