Second "big" trip

iefpro01

Well guys you may rememebr the list of issues from my first trip:
Below you will se a list of things from our first trip, granted one thing is a customer ordered thing, but this is after the dealer had the trailer for 4, yes 4 weeks fixing a long list of PDI items! LOL - DW is not a "happy camper"...:mad:

1. Will need a new tire and rim – was going 65 when tire blew out, the tire smoked and the rim must be damaged. Can we get a Goodyear?
2. Two flats/blowouts same wheel spot in 300 miles. I would like the axle replaced or absolute proof the axle is ok.
3. Outside hitch light does not work
4. Refrigerator issues – did not work on lower part, did not switch to AC when plugged in; used gas the entire time. Lost a lot of food.
5. Front Closet door track need to be repaired. Entire upper track has come loose and has fallen! Stapeled and not stapled well...
6. Strap that secures fire extinguisher is missing (reported broken at PDI)
7. No locking latch on the upper pull out by the refrigerator.
8. Door under kitchen sink is warped
9. Toilet leaked when sat on
10. Need to put woofer in cabinet, why did they put it under the desk when installing the fireplace?
11. Metal showing under carpet by couch
12. Put on airborne hitch (ordered by Customer)
13. Furnace air vent left side of stairs needs to be repaired. staples did not hold.
14. Fantastic vent did not close when turned off
15. Hydraulic valve for bedroom slide blew out needs to be replaced.
16. Open PDI issues(living room door and bathroom wall panel).

(the above items took the dealer 6 weeks to fix - some updates on those items are as follows:
Item 2 - turns out the second axle was put on incorrectly at the factory and was 1.5 inches out of alignment. Required the removal and installation of new hangers. Bought 4 new Goodyears...
Item 6 still not done

Well Now I have finished 5200 mile trip in the last three weeks. Some things to report:

1) Refrigerator still does not work properly - freezer is fine. Does not get very cold on the highest setting.
2) Molding on floor to entry to the living room fell off.
3) Living room door slide track dropped ½ inch on driver side – can not close door.
4) “STUPID” latch on closet door broke. Hate the darn latch anyway – several scratches on wife and me when entering the closet – and now the darn thing broke!!!
5) Passenger side living room slide is not aligned correctly and does not close all of the way.
6) Kitchen slide rubs against the wall where the steps of into the bedroom. Rubbed the wall paper and some wood completely off.
7) Furnace does not keep the trailer warm in 37 degree weather. We were in West Yellowstone in 37 degree weather and we could not get it comfortable – glad we have the fireplace which helped… I am normally very hot – but it was darn cold in the trailer.
8) Furnace made loud noise and vibrations.
9) Water pump will not shut off when turned on.
10) Don’t think the TV is hooked up to the sound system – never could get it to work.
11) Level on hitch is not right – had to use my own hand level. This was a dealer installation.
12) Sewer hose storage holder that was installed by the dealer is useless the way it was installed – would need to get on my knees to use it.
13) Dealer installed the bathroom toothbrush and cup holder to close to the medicine cabinet making it useless.
14) Floor in kitchen creaks (is this normal for the floor to be so weak?)
15) Found a dent in the awning when I put it out. I am sure I can’t prove if this was there when I received it or it was something that happened after I took it on the road… Forgot to roll it out during the PDI.
16) Microwave quits working after a few minutes, then it will turn back on after a short period. DW was mad! She was trying to bake potatoes.
17) Trailer is leaning (lower) on the driver side. Very noticeable going down the road and when sitting in a park. Rest of trailer will is level except for the driver side rear which will be lower.
18) Major sewer smell under kitchen sink
19) Open PDI issues (living room door and bathroom wall panel).

Well back to the dealer....

Uncle Rog

Sounds like you need to fire the dealer and find an authorized shop to address your issues and get you back on the road. I did and am glad we did......

GARTH

I hope anyone who is thinking about buying from a internet dealer thousands of miles from where they live to save some money (like I did) are reading this.

5erWonk

GARTH said:
I hope anyone who is thinking about buying from a internet dealer thousands of miles from where they live to save some money (like I did) are reading this.

I did buy from a dealer 2400 miles away and have been perfectly happy....The dealer, RVs For Less did a great prep job before I arrived, then I conducted a PDI that took all of 8hrs and found very few issues. These were taken care of the next day and I was on the road.

I am fortunate to have a Heartland dealer (Visalia RV) very close to home that has given me great warranty service (they became a Heartland dealer after I bought my rig).

By the way Garth what did this thread have to do with a far away internet delaer.....Did I miss something?:confused:

madigand

I agree that the dealer you purchase from makes the difference. we bought from RV's for Less and were very pleased with their inspection of the unit prior to our arrival. During the PDI they fixed the satellite cables and shower drip. We have been very pleased with our unit. If we need service I am sure Heartland will steer us in the right direction

GARTH

Bob, The reason I made that commit was because after receiving our 3055 my list of repairs needed was a lot like iefpro01`s. Because I didn`t buy locally the local dealer told me I would have to wait 45 to 60 days to get it in for repair. Glad to hear you have a local dealer that will work with you.

iefpro01

My dealer is the largest in Texas - maybe the only one - ExploreUSA. I blame some of this on the dealer - but I paid an awful lot of money for a trailer that has had this many problems in the first 2 months of ownership.

I actually washed it yesterday and found more problems! One I do blame on the dealer - I think I got a trailer that had been sitting in the south Texas sun for a long time, they never said a word, just that it was brand new 2007 model. I guess I looked at the rig a bit diferent while washing it - looking at every crack and corner and much of it appears to be older than I expected for a new rig. how do I find out what the actual manufacture date is?

Anyway - I am trying not to be overly angry in my post - but I am not a "happy Camper"...

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
iefpro01 said:
how do I find out what the actual manufacture date is?

Date of manufacturer should appear on the outside vehicle tag where the tires and their ratings are shown. On my tag, the date of manufacturer is in the upper right corner.

Chuck

sidney dreyfus

so far away

Maybe we were just lucky, but we bought our 3670rl over 900 miles away in Michigan. The dealer invited us up to stay in it as long as we wanted. We spent 5 days living in it, locating any problems before I wrote him the check. Overall, I would have preferred buying from a local dealer but the price difference was too great to turn down. I think if everything continues to work out, the internet saved us quite a bit of money.

Sid & Stacey Dreyfus, Eric and the 2 Lhasa's Jenny and Shelly
2008 3670rl
2005 dodge ram 3500 dually, 4.1 Quad Cab, 5.9 liter diesel

5erWonk

iefpro,

Look at the last for numbers of your serial number that will also give you an idea of manufacture date......You are #4570, Chopper Bill is 4442, these rigs were built fairly close together.

ChopperBill

Guessing mine was built about a week or so before the "07's" hit the streets. By Jan 07 when the 08's came out I took a two year hit and only had it 8 months! But I wouldn't trade it straight across for a new one.

GARTH

I agree with you chopper. Having got all the bugs out of our 3055 (without any dealer support) I wouldn`t trade this one in for a new one either. I must say that heartland was very good about sending me parts but the labor was 100% on me.

kognito

ChopperBill said:
Look on the bright side. When it is out of warranty you can fix it yourself, THE RIGHT WAY!

Why wait?? I mean, other than major ticket items like broke TV or heater not working, why bother with the dealer???

When I fix something, I know it is down correctly, and I don't make a mess of my rig or carpeting. My last 5th wheel (won't point fingers other than to say it was made by Keystone) would need some kind of repair or adjustment everytime I moved it. Be it 150 miles or 450 miles, every trip something would fall off, or get whacked out of adjustment.

Just my opinion, but I am pretty well mechanically and electrically inclined. Just in my personal experiences, dealer visits for warranty work have never been a good experience for me, so I stopped going, and deal directly with the manufacture when I have a problem.

Stepping off soap box now :)

ChopperBill

kognito said:
Why wait?? I mean, other than major ticket items like broke TV or heater not working, why bother with the dealer???

When I fix something, I know it is down correctly, and I don't make a mess of my rig or carpeting. My last 5th wheel (won't point fingers other than to say it was made by Keystone) would need some kind of repair or adjustment everytime I moved it. Be it 150 miles or 450 miles, every trip something would fall off, or get whacked out of adjustment.

Just my opinion, but I am pretty well mechanically and electrically inclined. Just in my personal experiences, dealer visits for warranty work have never been a good experience for me, so I stopped going, and deal directly with the manufacture when I have a problem.

Stepping off soap box now :)
Probably the reason I am going back on my buy local deal right now. Guess I am going to say that most of these things are pretty well slapped together. The only way you are going to make it right is to fix it your self. I have pretty much done a self schooling on the makings of an RV by now. Its not in the near future but the next one I will purchase will be the cheapest deal on the internet. Will take it home and make it livable myself.