Surge guard 34750

traveler44

We usually run off of the 30 amp cord but I had to plug in the 50 amp cord today. I went to Camping world and bought a Surge Guard 34750 and I think it is operating properly but not sure because the instructions are kind of confusing. Do any of you know if the--caution when flashing light-- is supposed to flash from the time you switch the power on at the post until the power kicks on to the rv --128 seconds? After the power kicked on it reads 124V 16A and 125v 11A right now so I was wondering if I can run 30A and 20A or are you supposed to limit each leg to 25A or under? One of these days I am going to figure out what all is on each leg and write it down to make sure I don't overload anything. Thanks Tom

traveler44

WOW! 50 amps on each leg. I guess I can really use a lot more than I did when I was using the 30 amp service. Thanks-- Tom

traveler44

That link is very informative and I bookmarked it to save it. I did notice that it does tend to--assume- a lot though. Like telling people that their tow vehicle will charge the house batteries. I thought the Ford was charging the house battery at first and then found out that I needed a relay in the black box under the hood to get the 12v power to the pigtail. People with Fords need to check their trailer wiring to see if their vehicle is charging their trailer battery. Thanks-- Tom

jayandhisgals

That link is very informative and I bookmarked it to save it. I did notice that it does tend to--assume- a lot though. Like telling people that their tow vehicle will charge the house batteries. I thought the Ford was charging the house battery at first and then found out that I needed a relay in the black box under the hood to get the 12v power to the pigtail. People with Fords need to check their trailer wiring to see if their vehicle is charging their trailer battery. Thanks-- Tom

Dear Traveler44,
Thanks for the tip about the Fords. What yr Ford are you towing with? Where did you check to see if your TV was charging the house batt.? Can you please give some details / instructions? Thanks ;)

traveler44

I have a 2000 7.3 psd and it was set up with the tow package and I still had to add the relay in the fuse and relay holder box under the hood. The way to check if it is charging is to take a a VOM and check at the trailer plug coming out of the back of the truck. I guess you could check across the rv battery too by checking the battery voltage with the truck running and without the truck running. When we bought the Ford in 07 my neighbor asked me if it was charging the battery in the travel trailer we had at the time and I was surprised to find it wasn't. I carry some spare fuses including the big 20A-30A and 40amp fuses along with a spare relay. I have had to change a few fuses but the relays hold up pretty well.

mobilcastle

When I got my Ford it did not want to charge the battery either until I changed the blown fuse. It is a good idea to check and make sure your battery is charging while in tow.