Jensen AWM970 - Two Issues

I am learning the way around the entertainment system in my new Elkridge. I have run up against two issues: I have no AM radio reception; and I cannot figure out a way to get the Jensen (and ceiling speakers) to receive input from the Toshiba TV. Can anyone give me some tips? Thanks!

Christian Hellwig
2012 Elkridge 27RLSS

Tool958

The only thing I could come up with on ours was to hook up to the headphone output on our tv and connect to the auxiliary input on the stereo. You'll have to switch auxiliary inputs on the stereo. It's not true stereo, but at least we can hear the tv when the furnace is running now. Hope this helps.

danemayer

I am learning the way around the entertainment system in my new Elkridge. I have run up against two issues: I have no AM radio reception; and I cannot figure out a way to get the Jensen (and ceiling speakers) to receive input from the Toshiba TV. Can anyone give me some tips? Thanks!

Christian Hellwig
2012 Elkridge 27RLSS
Hi Christian,

You'll need to add a wire between the TV and Surround Sound in order to play the TV audio through the ceiling speakers. The audio outputs on the TV and the audio inputs on the surround sound will determine what type of cable is needed. Sometimes the easiest way to figure it out is to refer to the back panel diagrams and specifications from the manuals for those devices.

Many newer TVs have audio outputs via headphone jacks, or via Digital Coaxial Audio. The Digital Coax is the better choice, if the surround sound has a matching input. If you only have RCA stereo phono inputs on the surround sound, you'll either have to go from the headphone jack, or get a digital to analog converter.

Here are some links for the common audio cabling solutions.

You can find cables as well as optical switches, if you need one of those, at monoprice.com.
Here's a link to an Optical TOS cable.
Here's a link to a Digital Audio COAX cable.
Here's an Optical TOS switch.
Here's a converter that will change Optical TOS or Digital COAX to RCA Phono in case you need to use the phono inputs on the Genesis.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I run a stereo cable with stereo mini plugs on both ends from the headphone jack of the TV to the aux input on the front of the Jensen.

We have a Vizio 26" LED flat screen in living room (and a 19" in the bedroom) . . . the only issue with this setup is that the TV speakers turn off when this cord is plugged in to the TV's headphone jack.

Well . . . one more issue is that since the AUX plug is on the front of the Jensen, the cord is visible and dangles from the TV to the front of the Jensen (click attached photo - look closely at top of shot).

I bought a small LG BluRay player with WiFi for the camper as that little remote that comes with the Jensen is kind of a PITA to use, plus plugging in an HDMI cable is a whole lot easier to hookup than the cord that comes off of the back of the Jensen.

I also am going to replace the ceiling speakers with some good ones this winter as the stock speakers are cheapies that sound terrible.

Campout2012-PC260022.jpg

TXTiger

I have a Samsung TV that has RCA jacks on the back. I ran a RCA cable from the television to the Jensen Aux In. I pulled the Jensen stereo out of the wall and was able to connect all cables in the back of the unit. When I want to use the speakers in the ceiling (not really surround sound) I mute the television via the remote and set the Jensen to use the Aux imput.

priorguy

TwoToes is right. I ran the extra cable when I swapped out the touch audio for an AWM970 this year. Most satisfying mod yet.