• Number of sites held: 15 possibly more
  • Site fee: $40.00 (TBD) per night.
  • Club Member Event fee:
  • Non-Club Member fee: $20.00
  • Potluck: Yes
  • Potluck date: 5/3/2013
  • Potluck time: 5:00 PM

------------------------------
  • Event Leader: skyguy(click to contact)

Additional Info:
------------------------------
ATTN ALL Heartland Owners Club Members!

Come gather with us in BEAUTIFUL Durango, CO and enjoy a wonderful spring experience in Colorful Colorado. Visit Mesa Verde, CO, home to the Anasazi. Ancestral Puebloans made Mesa Verde their home from about A.D. 550 to 1300. And /or take a ride on the Durango - Silverton Narrow Gauge Steam railroad! A Not-To-Be-Missed trip!

Deposits will be made thru the Wagonmaster (me). I will need a check in the amount of $20.00 prior to March 31, 2013. DO NOT reserve through United Campground. If you wish to stay more days, that is no problem, just let me know!

Events:
Thurs, May 2
-- arrival
-- evening gathering, BYO beverages and be prepared to swap lies
Fri, May 3
-- breakfast tacos by Chapter Leader 8:30AM
-- trip to Mesa Verde (for those interested)
-- pot luck supper, about 5:00PM (Dress is Hawaiian / beach themed please) Chapter Leader says they will provide meat, please bring a side dish.
Sat, May 4
-- train ride - Durango Silverton train, if there is enough interest
-- shopping, dinner in town??
Sun, May 5
-- continental breakfast 8 AM
-- departure

Please contact me (skyguy) via Private Message if you are interested in attending, so I can put you on the contact list, and discuss events, reservations, etc.

Those who have expressed an interest are:
1. Don and Monica Ashby (Chapter Leaders) (PAID) May 1 - May 6
2. Al and Rexann Schlafli (Wagonmaster) (PAID)
3. Morris Hanley and Keathe Singleton (PAID) May 1 - May 5
4. Tim and Rae Moore (PAID)
5. Lou Lambdin and Marilyn Weddel (PAID) May 1 - May 6
6. Bruce & Lu Baillie (PAID)
7. Gary and Denise Benns (PAID)
8. Bob and Marion Wengler (retired Chap. Leader)
9. Dan and Pam Graham (TX) (PAID)
10. Gail and Sharon Crook (PAID)
11. Bill and Ingrid Engler (PAID)
12. Mike and Edyth Kuhn (UT) (PAID)
13. Dean and Jodi Madison (OR) (PAID)

Your humble servant
Al Schlafli

Last edited:

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Don & I will get in Wednesday, May 1 and leave Monday, May 6. We are excited about the "famous train ride" as well as visiting Mesa Verde National Park and other archaeological sites in the area!! We are also looking forward to meeting Colorado chapter members and visiting with all who come:)

happykraut

Judi and I will arrive on APR 29 and leave on May6. We have done the train ride before and can't wait to do it again. We've also been to Mesa Verde.

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Blanca and I are interested in comming to the rally.Rich(TRAVELER07) and Blanca. Past Michigan chapter leader, Present New Mexico chapter leader

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Stella and I had such a good time in September at Ft. Collins-still have my "water bottle"- and wish we could be here but we will be at the Indiana "Re-emergence" rally this weekend.

skyguy

Hi Folks - The Rally in Durango isn't until May, but already that's just around the corner! So I need to get some info from all of those who plan to attend...

We are planning two (optional) side trips while in Durango - a trip by auto to Mesa Verde Friday (the entrance to the park is just 35 miles from Durango), and a ride on the Durango Steam train to Silverton.

No deposits or reservations are necessary for Mesa Verde.

There are a couple of options for the train, and we should make reservations as soon as possible - Saturday, May 4, is the first day of the 2013 season, and they could be busy!

There are three ways to do the train ride to Silverton - http://www.durangotrain.com/ride-us
1. Round trip by train $59 to $99, depart 8:30AM return 6:00PM
2. One way train, one way bus (additional fee)
3. One way train, one way private auto. (Purchase round trip tickets. Split the group in half. Half ride the train up, half take private autos / trucks. Switch rides back in Silverton. (I understand that riding the train BOTH ways can be pretty boring,,,, and this method cuts your effective fee IN HALF)

The following folks have indicated they would like to attend the rally:
1. Don and Monica Ashby (Chapter Leaders) (PAID)
2. Al and Rexann Schlafli (Wagonmaster) (PAID)
3. Morris Hanley and Keathe Singleton (PAID) May 1 - May 5
4. Tim and Rae Moore
5. Lou Lambdin and Marilyn Weddel
6. Garry (from Double D Ranch - need more info Garry!)
7. Gary and Denise Benns
8. Bob and Marion Wengler (retired Chap. Leader)
9. Dan and Pam Graham
10. Gail and Sharon Crook
11. Bill and Ingrid Engler (PAID)
12 .Bernie and Judy Ver Hey(MO)
13. Mike and Edyth Kuhn (UT)

With the events fast approaching, PLEASE do the following for me:
1. If your name does NOT include (PAID), please verify you will attend, or have changed your mind. We are filling up, and I want to make sure we have enough spaces available at United Campground. (I can ask for more spaces, still!)

2. If you want to participate in the train ride to Silverton, please select your preferred method, 1, 2, or 3. If you select #1, I will request two tickets per couple. #2, 2 tickets, #3, ONE ticket per couple. You will probably need to make reservations on your own, but I will call towards the end of this week to verify room.

This message will also post on the Heartland forum, you may reply to me here, or respond on the forum, but PLEASE RESPOND!

Again, please send your $20 deposit (this is ONLY for the RV space at United Campground) to:
Al Schlafli
801 Sirius Dr.
Colorado Springs, CO 80905

happykraut

Al, Judi and I would like to sign up for #3 on the train ride. We are on the road right now on our way to the Sweetheart Rally. Will send check as soon as we get there.

skyguy

Just added another rally couple today - we have room for a couple more! Thanks Bruce and Lu - see ya there!

Garry - from Double D - just checking - you still planning on being there???

Al Schlafli

happykraut

I'm sorry to say that Judi and I have a change in our plans and would like to cancel our reservations for the rally. Please inform me who else, if any one, I have to inform. Thanks.

skyguy

Attention all folks attending the Rally May 5-9...

1. I finally got to speak with Tim Holt, the owner at United Campground! We have traded phone tag for almost a month! They are all set for us in early May. Can't wait to get this rolling!

2. We will loosely organize a trek via auto over to Mesa Verde, for those interested - we will talk more about that at the rally. That will most likely occur Friday, May 3.

3. Regards the Durango Silverton train ride - I received little response from most of the folks - so I have left it up to yourselves to make reservations. I understand, as of today, April 8, the cheap coach seats are almost sold out. There are still some observation car (open air) seats available, and more expensive seats available. Looks like prices have jumped to $89-154 for the round trip!

4. I will be depositing your checks for deposits by the end of this week. You will pay your balance on arrival at the park. All sites should be PULL THROUGHS, for the "backing challenged" out there.

Can't wait to see everyone! Only one month to go! If you have questions please email me or private message me on the forum

Email: skyguy at compdyna dot com

Al Schlafli

skyguy

ROAD CONDITIONS UPDATE:
As we get close to our launch date, I wanted to pass along a handy tip for all travelers - you can get "instant" updates on the road conditions by looking at road cams for Colorado - go here: http://www.cotrip.org/device.htm
On the right hand side will be a listing of all cams, by hiway #. Wolf Creek Pass is 160 - scroll down until you find it.

A couple of days ago, it was solid white! This morning - dry. Keep your fingers crossed!

Al

GWC

Please cancel our reservations for Durango Rally. After our last trip we discovered problems with the fresh water tank leaking, roof problems and entry problems, we need to have our unit repaired as quickly as possible as we have a long trip planed for end of May. We will attend from our home each evening. Please send copy of itinerary for four days of rally. Gail and Sharon Crook (crook_gail@yahoo.com)

StarryNight

Just an FYI: Don & I are planning on getting into Durango Monday May 29th. If necessary I will post information at this site concerning the campground, sites, etc...so check it before you head to Durango:)
There will be a get-together the first night of the rally (Thursday about 8pm, after everyone has had dinner) at our site...bring a chair & maybe a blanket! We are planning on handing out the welcome/goody bags at that time, introducing everyone and chatting about possible day trips others are planning.
Don & I have 2 "pavilions" for shelter (if needed) for our group gatherings, breakfasts, potluck...etc...
I did talk with the owner and he mentioned that propane & charcoal fires are ok but wood-burning is not.
We are really excited about the rally and seeing everyone!! Drive safely.

StarryNight

Correction on my previous post: April 29th not May 29th!!!!! It doesn't matter how carefully I go over something...sorry if I scared anyone!:eek:

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Sorry Monica, Blanca and I can not make the Durango rally this year,But we will try the Wyoming chapter rally in Utah will keep in touch to let you know.Still would like to do a joint chapter rally.Thank you for comming to the NM rally. We owe you a rally,we will come to a Colorado rally Richard

StarryNight

UPDATE:
Got into Durango about 3:30. We were in Colorado City last night. It took about 5.5 hours; we typically stay @ 55mph; going up to Wolf Creek Pass we were going about 45mph. Diesel in Colorado City: $3.59, Alamosa: $3.86, Pagosa Springs: 3.95-$3.99, Bayfield: $3.85. Here in Durango it was $3.72
There was construction at the western edge of Alamosa on US160/285 for about 3 miles; speed was posted 45mph. They were painting new lines on east side & looked like they were just about finished; signs were going up on west side so I guess that will be done the next day or so.
Hardly any snow on eastern side of mountains, mostly up high and in shadows/under trees; none on side of road. Lots of water falls:). It was 66 degrees first tunnel and 59 @ second tunnel. It was 56 at Wolf Creek Pass.
Saw quite a few highway patrol:) along our route both Sunday and Monday.
It was 83 degrees when we got into Durango but here at the campground it's about 79.
Don & I are in site 41 which is central in the campground.
Weather is supposed to be nice for this week: days in the mid to upper 60's/low 70's and nights in the 40's.
Drive safely, see you Thursday!

Status
Not open for further replies.