Looking for trouble, found it

RB2012

After removing black bulkhead in basement looking for various forms of trouble the heater came on and I felt an extreme amount of heat loss on the floor the furnace was mounted on and the cluster of wires that run next to the furnace were extremly hot and the plywood base was very hot more than what I think it should be. Has any body found this situation in their unit because I think this will have to be modified to prevent something from catching fire. Thanks Capt RC

traveler44

Thanks Capt. I will have to check that out the next time I get behind the basement wall for something. I did some major rerouting on my duct work to get the heat where we wanted it in the 09 bighorn-less in the bedroom--more in the livingroom, but I never checked how much heat would build up around the plenum when the furnace was running. I know that some folks simply block off or close the floor registers and I think that is dangerous because it can cause too much heat to build up in the plenum and possibly damage the furnace itself. I think a new duct should be run for every one that is closed off. One thing I did notice when I looked at mine was that some of the ducts were routed to where the ducting was nearly crimped shut right out of the back of the plenum. You might ask a real HVAC person to look at yours because I have heard that some furnaces have been installed improperly and some furnaces were installed that were defective to begin with. Tom

hoefler

When we purchased our 06 Landmark back in 09, I noticed we didn't get much heat out of the ducts and the furnace seemed to short cycle. I found the block outs in 3 of the ports where missing. I found them under and around the furnace. They just twist in with little to no effort. I put a dab of silicone on it to keep them from vibrating out. Now we get a lot of heat every where and the cabinet it is in is much cooler.

danemayer

the cluster of wires that run next to the furnace were extremly hot and the plywood base was very hot more than what I think it should be.
Capt RC,

It might be helpful to put a thermometer at the locations you're concerned about and find out exactly how hot things get. That should help you determine what, if any, changes are required.

piet10

The thermostat failed on our 2011 Greystone, so I had it repaired under warranty. The tech found the three wires in the thermostat had been stripped too far, shorted, and took out the control board in the furnace. When he opened up the furnace compartment he found that the main duct hole was cut in the wrong place so lots of heat in the furnace but very little getting to the ducts. He had to cut a hole in the right place. Took care of the internal heat, and now we have much better heating in the registers.

RB2012

Thanks guys lucklily I am headed south for the winter so not much heat required there but will get into this problem because it scares me with that much heat coming off that furnace, something is not right. Capt RC

RB2012

Trouble found and action needed(furnace heat)

In original post of high heat loss around furnace in basement the problem is on the bottom of the furnace where they cut a hole in the plywood base to heat the underbelly they use a 2 inch duct hose instead of the 4 inch but it seems they cut a 4 inch hole therefore that is where the heat is coming from it appears that I will have to take the furnace out and make the necessary mods to fix this problem ,its a shame that the codes if there is any are not met on these rigs. CAPT RC