Satellite receiver app

olcoon

Recently got satellite TV, and from what I understand I won't be able to use a Tailgager or any of the automatic dishes, because of the receiver they gave us. I was wondering what app people are using to point the dish? I also just recently got an iPhone, and since I've never set up the dish, & from what I've read here & heard from folks it sounds like I'm going to need something to help/do it for me. I'm also going to have to get a dish, other than going to an RV store & buying one over priced where would I get one?

danemayer

Hi Roy and Sally,

Need more details:

Service provider - Dish or Directv, or someone else
Receiver model # -
Does the receiver record programs and are you planning to? -
Do you want high-def signals?

hoefler

Any automatic antenna will work. The Tailgater from Dish does require there version of the VueCube. Personally I use the Wine Gard Carry Out and a receiver that would go in the house. I wouldn't go with the Tailgater or the VueCube, been using the Wine Gard for 5 years with out issue.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Hi Roy, Here is a link for a tripod if you decide to use a standard reflector and this is the site I use to get my pointing information. I have tried a couple of apps but they drive me nuts (you know dumb a_ _ with a smart phone syndrome). Instead, I use a meter. Give me a call if you need help.

wdk450

Roy:
I got a tripod at Radio Shack, and I looked up ads from local independent satellite installers for the dish on CraigsList, and even had them make me a couple of 100 foot RG-6 cables.

caissiel

Just installed Dish Hd before activation.
Set receiver for sat110 and postal code.
Set shows tilt elevation and direction.
Used my 10.00 finder and located the dish to max signal and in 5min they had my equipment registered. That simple.

I have been using satelite director app to give the set up info. And the finder is very easy to help the setup.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Hey Roy we have an automatic RV4SL dish on top of the rig and it works great with Direct. When we had a home they upgraded us to HD and when we sold the home I put the receivers in the rig and just took out the HD channels on the info section of the receiver. I can only get non HD channels but no problems. Hope that the leg is getting better and you get down here soon.

olcoon

Service provider - Dish or Directv, or someone else
Receiver model # -
Does the receiver record programs and are you planning to? -
Do you want high-def signals?

We've got Dish
Receiver is a VIP722k DVR
It does record programs & it would be nice to be able to record them.
Again, HD would be nice, but I've lived without it for a long time & can do so again.

If I remember right the "cable guy" said we couldn't use an automatic antenna with the receiver he installed-we'd have to buy a different one.

From what I've read in different places, I think I'll not go with one mounted on the roof, because of the possibility of parking someplace where trees would block the signal. We like being around the trees.

danemayer

The VIP722 looks to be one of the new designs for Dish's Hopper whole home technology. I think that rules out using any of the currently available carryout auto-aiming dishes. You'll probably have to get a dish like this, which claims compatibility with VIP722, and aim manually.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
With the correct reflector/LNB you will be able to get HD most anywhere. The only caveat being line of sight. Our dish service uses echo star west 110,119,and 129 sat 129 is where the HD comes from. Last time we used our camper this season we had trees blocking our line of sight so I couldn't lock on to any of them. fortunately we had a storm that night and it blew a lot of leaves off the trees. The next morning I was able to lock on to 110, and 119 but couldn't get SAT 129 so we had all our programming just none in HD.

Stinger381

I have Dish Network and I use the VIP722 box as well. I use the Satellite AR app to help me find the area to point the dish in. I have a radio shack tripod and I used a dish 500 small dish when I travel. I drilled out the LMB arm and installed wingnuts so I can pack the dish a little smaller. I do have a 1000 dish when I tailgate and want to get the HD stuff. If you want to use the tailgater dish you have to use a 211 box. That is the only one that will work with that particular autotune dish.

Use the app and see where the Echostar birds are in the sky. Setup the dish on the tripod and get the verticle post perfectly level. Get the angle from the satellite box under the setup instructions when you punch in your zip code. Go to the Satellite aiming screen and select the 110 bird, transponder 21. Then rotate the dish a little each way until you hear the satellite signal. Fine tune it until you get the best signal you can get. 80 percent or better should be good enough to pick up the 119 satellite too or even the 129 satellite if you have the 1000 dish. Good luck with it all!