Air Bag Suspension

mselby

Future Heartland Owner
I have seen some diesel pickups with airbag suspension. Is this to soften the ride when not towing? What is the purpose? Are they like air shocks and can be inflated and deflated?

If one prefers not to go duelly, but buys a 1 ton for load capacity, can airbags be a substitute for the extra wheels?

Still looking for the ideal 4wd pickup. We anticipate buying a Cyclone 35 to 40 foot toyhauler in the near term. We'd be vacationing in the mountains mostly.

Thanks very much.

nhunter

Air bags can only be used to soften the ride or for leveling. They can't be used to increase weight carrying capacity or any other gain. You can inflate them or defalte them to alter the ride. Sounds like most people with the Cyclones are pulling with the dually due to the weight.

christianson

I have used air bags on my last 6 trucks 1-1/2 ton 2-3/4 tons 3 F 350 DRW mostly to level truck to bring front suspenion back to specks and help bring head lites at right height it allso makes DRW ride softer when they are deflated to about 10lbs of air preasure.

ChopperBill

I have the Air Lift bags on our truck. I also have the on board gauges and compressor. It works pretty good. With the on board set up there are pressure switches to keep the system at 5 lbs as recommended by the company. With just the 5 lbs my gauges go to 30 lbs with the Bighorn hitched up, which is perfect. I run between 45-60 lbs with the truck camper loaded. With them at 5 lbs, with truck empty, you cant tell they are on there. Put 20-30 lbs in them and it will ride like a lumber wagon. The latest deal is Super Springs with the truck camper crowd. They really seem to like 'em and are a lot cheaper and take no time to install them.

Blessed

We also have the Air Lift Rear Suspension and we love it. There are basically two types. One is just air bags that will keep your truck level when loaded, but do not improve the ride performance very much. The second system is a total rear suspension which replaces your rear leaf springs. I have the second type.
My DW has back problems and she says the Air Lift rear suspension has made a world of difference. We bought it and had it installed at Camping World.

vtwin

I just bought, and still waiting for my new 3400RL the tow truck is a new dodge 3/4 ton with the new 6.7 diesel, 6 speed automatic with exhaust brake 3:73 rear. I am worried about having too much weight on the rear, and thinking about installing air shocks. Any comments?

grizzlygiant

I am pulling my 3400RL with a new 2500 Dodge. Everything works just great except once in a long while I'll hit a dip that makes the truck bottom-out. I am putting on Timbrens tomorrow and I believe the problem will be solved.

navyAZ1

I put the airlift bags on so I could level the truck needed to raise it about 1 or 2 inches, but got a nice surprise on the first trip it seems the air bags really help dampen the bounce when you cross rough pavement such as bridge approaches and the like. It has really helped the ride when we are pulling the BH.

StevieWonder

I have seen some diesel pickups with airbag suspension. Is this to soften the ride when not towing? What is the purpose? Are they like air shocks and can be inflated and deflated?

If one prefers not to go duelly, but buys a 1 ton for load capacity, can airbags be a substitute for the extra wheels?

Still looking for the ideal 4wd pickup. We anticipate buying a Cyclone 35 to 40 foot toyhauler in the near term. We'd be vacationing in the mountains mostly.

Thanks very much.

Airbags don't increase the allowed load (a dually only increases the load because of tire limitations ... a 1ton chassis is a 1ton chasis) but they do allow the load to be placed on the chassis while regaining a level attitude (improves handling, keeps headlights pointed to the road rather than the trees, etc) AND softening the ride while loaded.

I've had them on a Ford F350 dually, a GMC Yukon and on a GMC Duramax HD2500. I HIGHLY recommend them.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I am pulling my 3400RL with a new 2500 Dodge. Everything works just great except once in a long while I'll hit a dip that makes the truck bottom-out. I am putting on Timbrens tomorrow and I believe the problem will be solved.

I put Timbrens on mine and levels out perfect with the 5er hooked up. I didn't want the expense of air bags and changing air .....hooked or unhooked. They were easy to install and do as advertised , pleased with them.....Ken

bowtorc

The total allowed weight of a dually is reduced from a single wheel by the weight of the additional wheels and tires so in reality the allowed load is reduced. The air bags will shift the weight to the trailer by a small amount by raising the front end of the trailer if the truck is sitting below level prior to inflating the air bags. We verified this with weighing at the 06 rally. The bags are a great help in reducing bounce on the road and keeping the rig level. Just my opinion.

StevieWonder

Actually, the duallies don't decrease the allowable load on the suspension. They decrease the amount of the total combined gross weight allocatable to the towed item.

Deepsky3539

I can tell you this ... They can be a real fun to install. If you have acess to some really, really nice drill bit's, it will help. Beyond that, they are pretty self explanatory.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Please Help a Rookie RVer buying a BigHorn

I am buying a 2008 Ford F-250 diesel Lariat with the camper pkg and towing pkg and everything associated with RVing. I am in the process of buying a 2009 Big Horn 3400RE, and wish to put on air bags for a smoother ride on the truck. Any suggestions of what type and where to buy? I live in Southern CA. I am a new RVer and would like any suggestions that would make my life easier. The dealer is putting on a 16,000 lb hitch and I would also like to know which is the best one to get or to ask for. I have no clue what accessories and tools I should carry in my RV. I also would like to know where to buy insurance, and maybe get financing outside of the dealer. I should have my rig in 2 weeks. Is Tyron worth getting? How about permaplating, as I will have the gel coating as well. Since I am buying 300 miles from home, is there a way to get local authorized dealers to do warranty service in a timely manner? Should I get the extended 7 year warranty? Help I am a rookie thats very excited about my wife and I touring the US, Canada and Mexico. I don't even know if I need an air compressor, or what type of tools as well. Is there a place to buy accessories to make our lives easier. I was told old time RVers help out us rookies and I could sure use some advice from you oldtimers.

Larry Kuhn
2008 Ford F-250
2009 Bighorn 3400RE

StevieWonder

Basic but broad tool kit. A lot will depend on how mechanically proficient you are.

Hammer
Pliers - Needle nose
Pliers - Basic
Full set of screwdrivers (various tips/lengths)
Vise grips
two or crescent wrenches
1/4" and 3/8" drive/socket set (nothing fancy needed)
Utility knife (don't forget a few extra blades)
Small hack saw
Wire stripper/cutter
Circuit continuity tester (a light is fine)

as far as repair related equipment/supplies:
duct tape (I like Gorilla tape)
teflon tape
electrical tape
assortment of 12V wiring connectors
fuses (check your electrical distribution for type & rating)
velcro
caulk (soft tube so you don't need caulking gun)
assortment of appropriate screws, nuts & bolts
12V light bulbs
latex or nitrile gloves

I do carry a 12V air compressor which is a LOT easier than trying to fix a flat without one.

A few no-brainers:
2 GOOD flashlights
Some emergency reflector triangles (I also carry old fashioned flares)
rain wear (a cheap poncho can suffice)

There's lots of other stuff but this is a good basic starter set.

navyAZ1

I am buying a 2008 Ford F-250 diesel Lariat with the camper pkg and towing pkg and everything associated with RVing. I am in the process of buying a 2009 Big Horn 3400RE, and wish to put on air bags for a smoother ride on the truck. Any suggestions of what type and where to buy? I live in Southern CA. I am a new RVer and would like any suggestions that would make my life easier. The dealer is putting on a 16,000 lb hitch and I would also like to know which is the best one to get or to ask for. I have no clue what accessories and tools I should carry in my RV. I also would like to know where to buy insurance, and maybe get financing outside of the dealer. I should have my rig in 2 weeks. Is Tyron worth getting? How about permaplating, as I will have the gel coating as well. Since I am buying 300 miles from home, is there a way to get local authorized dealers to do warranty service in a timely manner? Should I get the extended 7 year warranty? Help I am a rookie thats very excited about my wife and I touring the US, Canada and Mexico. I don't even know if I need an air compressor, or what type of tools as well. Is there a place to buy accessories to make our lives easier. I was told old time RVers help out us rookies and I could sure use some advice from you oldtimers.

Larry Kuhn
2008 Ford F-250
2009 Bighorn 3400RE

On the insurance note make sure you get an RV policy not just something from your current auto insurance agent. A good RV policy will have "full replacement" for the first 5 years and will also take care of RV specific problems i.e., your awning falling off going down the road or the roof peeling back etc... A lot of the policys offered by auto insurance folks do not cover such things as this that are strictly RV type problems. Check around with Good Sam or some group like that I understand Progressive offers a good RV type policy, we have ours through State Farm with our auto insurance but I checked it out and it is a good RV type policy. The suggested tools in the previous post is great don't be afraid to go over and talk with your neighbors at the various camp grounds and ask them what they carry. Like all of us you will gather lots of stuff you don't need and have to much weight and then you'll find out just what you really need and then slim down. Good Luck on your travels my friend and since you are so new at this take your time and practice driving and pulling your new rig around taking it slow and easy until you get the feel for it. Welcome to RVing!!!:D