Progressive EMS - failure - tech support - service - and a tip

porthole

Retired
So, I went into the Cyclone the other day to check a beeping Deb heard. Trailer is dead, no battery power, no AC power.
Start checking breakers, all good. Since trailers with a generator or generator prep are equipped with an auto-transfer switch, an easy 1st test is to listen for the loud clunk when you plug in.

With a Progressive EMS you will also get a clunk from the relay when the system transfers over power from shore to the panel box.

I had the clunk with shore power, the second clunk I get when the generator comes up to speed and takes over, but I was not getting the relay clunk from the EMS.

Removing the transfer switch cover to check found all tight connections and good relay operation. I was concerned over the stories posted here about loose wires in this box. I'm still convinced the Cyclones are better built then the rest of the lines when comparing internals of the trailer.

Next was remove the EMS cover and check with a multi meter and manually test with the plunger button.

Tech support was quick on the phone and walked me through the diagnostics. Determined to be a circuit board. Lifetime warranty on the parts, my name and address to the tech (along with a credit card number in case I don't return the old part) and I have a promise of parts going out priority mail.
Got the part 2 days later.

Tech doesn't have an answer why the board is not working but simply said "the unit is designed to be sacrificial and we offer a lifetime parts replacement".

So if you run into this problem and are on the road you don't have to give up AC power waiting for parts. Just remove the EMS cover, then remove the small cover with the white label. Under that is the plunger for the relay. Find something to place over that plunger and then screw the cover back down. I used a piece of soft 10 gauge wire insulation I had laying on my bench.

D70_4917.JPG D70_4918.JPG D70_4920.JPG

Last edited:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks, it's always nice to hear of good customer service.

I have the pigtail version, so I'm not sure if they are user serviceable. I've never tried to open it. Trace

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for that information Duane.
To add to that, I will relay my experience from three or four years ago.
When I lost power they had me looking for a piece if black plastic that may have broken off from somewhere.
This piece was stuck in the contacts and prevented closure.
Found it and pulled it out. No problem since.

Peace
Dave

floridarandy

Duane - glad to hear the result and customer service from PI. Just installed this unit. Question, tho. I thought there was a bypass (blue wire) that when plugged in did the bypass? also, don't see the insulation in picture 2? Thanks

Randy

Vtxkid

Good info Duane! We've had ours over a year and love the insurance of protecting the RV's electrical system. I heard they have a good warrenty. Good to know they are standing behind their product!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

porthole

Retired
Duane - glad to hear the result and customer service from PI. Just installed this unit. Question, tho. I thought there was a bypass (blue wire) that when plugged in did the bypass? also, don't see the insulation in picture 2? Thanks

Randy

Randy,

I have the HWC-50, that is the hard wired unit. I am also using the remote displays. They have an integrated switch that allows bypassing the EMS.
But, since my control board is fried I have no remote display, hence no manual bypass.

I should have been clearer in my first post. There is a piece of dirty white wire insulation visible under the white cover with lettering. You can see it in the square window. BTW that temporary fix is straight from Progressive. The small window allows testing the circuit with a blunt "non conducting" tool.

D70_4920b.jpg

Hey Duane,

Deb said you have been keeping busy and she was right!

Indeed I have, just winterized a few days ago - figured I had to since the temps dropped into the 20's.

Good info Duane! We've had ours over a year and love the insurance of protecting the RV's electrical system. I heard they have a good warranty. Good to know they are standing behind their product!

It's better then good Jerry. Any company offering a lifetime warranty on all parts on an item like this is stand up!

alanfred

Randy,

I have the HWC-50, that is the hard wired unit. I am also using the remote displays. They have an integrated switch that allows bypassing the EMS.
But, since my control board is fried I have no remote display, hence no manual bypass.

I should have been clearer in my first post. There is a piece of dirty white wire insulation visible under the white cover with lettering. You can see it in the square window. BTW that temporary fix is straight from Progressive. The small window allows testing the circuit with a blunt "non conducting" tool.

View attachment 22342

It's better then good Jerry. Any company offering a lifetime warranty on all parts on an item like this is stand up!

Just finished install of our HWC-50C, after reading your post, I see a mod in my future. Installing an override switch that will apply voltage to energize the coil.

Purcell-20121208-00298.jpgPurcell-20121208-00289.jpg