POed at my freshtank deal!!!!!

ChopperBill

Well, after me spouting off about this fresh tank deal I got to thinking mine sure doesn't seem to drain and pump like I REALLY thought should after the dealer did the shim job. So today I crawled under it and took part of the bottom off to check to see whats up. NO FREAKING SHIM JOB WAS DONE ON MY TANK. The shop foreman told me his tech shimmed it up as much as he could. Well I shimmed it up with a 2x4 a full 1 3/4 inches! Now it works as I thought it should. Pumps water with minimal amount of water and when the pump quit working I could only drain out about 3 gallons. The dealer had just hired a new hot shot tech that was supposedly the best around and faster than a bolt of lightening. He is fast alright because he ain't worth a POS! I respect for the dealer, if they would send them out from the factory the way they were supposed to be I wouldn't had to have gone through all the BS in the first place.

Pulltab

Bill, nothing is surprising anymore. I wonder if they just relocated the one end of the rails by raising and rescrewing to the frame? Anyway, sometimes doing it yourself is the best solution. And to think these rv shops charge sometimes over a $100 an hour. Guess I just am not trusting enough. :(

madigand

Have to agrree with pulltab about some dealers. I generally try to do all the repairs myself. Of course some ( my bed slide roller adjustment and I found some missing plywood under ther roller on the bedroom floor at the head of the bed causing the problem) will have to handled by a dealer.

jbeletti

But how do you really feel Bill? ;)

Seriously, sorry to hear you got jilted twice on the fresh water tank system. Now you know it is done right.

Jim

Last edited:

jpmorgan37

Bill;

I hope that you have a "call to Jesus" conversation with the dealer and his shop foreman. It is that kind of service that is giving Heartland, and the industry, a bad name. And I would almost bet that he sent in a warranty claim to Heartland for the "repair". I'm glad that you finally got it fixed so that it is giving you the amount of water that it should, but sorry that you had to do it yourself. Keep us posted.

John

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Hey Bill
Before you left the dealer did you see a 2x4 under the wheels of the campers on the door side? The hotshot fix may have been tilting the camper and when you drove away the hotshot fix was left in the dealers parking lot. :D

I agree, do it yourself and you will know the task it is done!

ChopperBill

JP, I did have a little jab about Heartland sending 'em out this way in the first place. By the posts I see they are still doing it. Probably 90% of the folks are full hook up people and it makes no difference to them. Us lowly 10% will just have to take care of the dry camping affair ourselves.
My trip to the dealer was the first day on the job with this new supposably HOLY TECH and they had him on our trailer because he was SOOOO good. The first step out of the gate I could see he was a little POed because he could tell from my conversation with the shop foreman I ACTUALLY new something about the workings of an RV. Guess I should have acted like a dumb arse to make him feel at home. :D
I usually NEVER take anything in to a repair shop but it was a warranty deal. Case in point I have a part time ATV repair business and just worked on a twin Polaris that had just come from a service job of a large ATV dealer. They only had run it about 1/2 mile and it would hardly run. Brought it my shop and took the side panels off and low and behold there was a spark plug wire laying beside the engine! On top of that the SPARK PLUG was laying between the engine and the clutch housing! How in the heck they got it out the door is WAY beyond me!

jpmorgan37

Bill;
You are right. I'm in the 90% bracket about 90% of the time. Fortunately, I can clamp off one of my three vent hoses and get enough water to last me for three or four days. It's funny, the other two vents don't siphon water, just the one and I can get most of the water out of the tank using the pump. And I don't even have to use DE's 2x4 method. I'm one of the lucky one's.

ChopperBill

JP I really look forward to full hook ups so I can just relax and pull a dump valve every once in a while. Makes me feel like a King! However, we spend 5 weeks in AZ and 3 in WY with no hook ups. Any way to save a trip to fetch a pail of water makes Jack a happy guy! :D

Uncle Rog

Chopper, I feel your pain, believe me. The tank issue was a biggie for me too. When I had the tank shimmed I drove to the shop to visually verify that the job was done. I have been a lumber salesman for 30+ years and believe me, I trust in god, everybody else pays cash!
We get our rig back next week, just in time for camping season, it's funny most of the forum members are thinking of winterizing and we are getting ready to go!
Lippert is replacing the entire suspension, the good folks at HL are replacing the delaminated cargo door and replacing the vinyl floor. I was feeling pretty flush so I had a external shower mounted to hose off hunting dogs and wash dishes to save tank capacity.
When we get it back it should be good to go.
Any way glad your issue is solved........................................

Loco

The more I read the more I think I need to go into the RV service business! I make good money working on Fire apparatus and selling them. But I could get rich working on RV. LOL As many of you know I have sent more time under our rig than in it. But it is right now. No way will I buy a new one now. Because I will have to start all over again

ChopperBill

I am with you on that one Loco! Ain't no way I would buy a new one either! Told Renee I am going to remove the decal under the Big Horn emblem that says "By Heartland" and have some made up that says "By ChopperBill".

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Hey Uncle Rog...not to change subject, but I noticed you have hunting dogs...what kind? Here is a picture of our baby Katie, a Llewellyn Setter, been setting naturally since ten weeks; very hard to keep up with, lots of energy!!

100_1132.jpg

Uncle Rog

kakampers, they are German Shorthaired Pointers. This coputer does not have any good pictures, I will post a couple from one of the other units later......

Pulltab

I shimmed my tank and reran the fill and vent line so it is not laying on the bottom of chassis. Works fantastic now! No problem putting water in and I can pump out all but about 5 oz of water! This makes me really happy :)

ChopperBill

PT I redid mine yesterday. That's what happens when I cant sleep at night! I had put a 2x4 at the one end but got to thinking that maybe a 1x4 in the middle would help with the slope. Worked out better. With the added 4 inch channel iron running down the middle There is know no sag on the sides. At level I can get less than a gallon out of the tank with the drain after the pump starts sucking air. If put the trailer on a down hill slope I can only run out a couple of gallons more! Pretty darn excited about that!
When I filled the tank I got over 70 gallons in it before the first vent started spouting water. I said that would be plenty and shut the water off, and it wasn't even full! With 12 in the water heater it over 80 gallons!
( Does anyone know how much longer it would take for the manufacture to put the mounts in at an angle so the tank would work right in the first place? Zip, zero, nada!)