Buying a Generator

darb10

I am taking delivery of a 2950RK in just a few days. I am thinking about buying a generator and have no idea what I should get. I am planning on doing some camping in the boons and the wife will die without her A/C.

Any ideas on what and where to get it?

DaleR

Hi darb10
We have a Honda EM5000is (portable) and it takes care of everthing, A/C, M/W, W/H, etc., all at the same time. It's a great mechine, but it has it's drawbacks. It has wheels and pop handles to move it around, elect start, but it runs about 200lbs. It has to sit between the hitch and cab, also the top is about 3 to 4" above the bed rails. Thought about a platform for the back of the 5th, but don't want to get to OR. and find out the gen. is along the side of road in CA.
Enjoy the new 5th, Packer.

ChopperBill

Darb, I have a Honda EU2000 and a Kipor 3500. I can run our Brisk Air 11500 BTU A/C at 8500 feet with our Honda. It wont run the 15,000 A/C in our Bighorn at 5200 feet. The Kipor will run the BigHorn A/C and everything else OK. We take both when we do our winter vacation in AZ. Its kind of strange but the Kipor is quieter than the Honda when charging the batteries. I am guess because it doesn't have to run as hard. I bought the Kipor 3500 with electric start because I knew Renee could fire it up. Best part is that it didn't cost any more than the Honda.

J

Jim_1899

Generator

Here is what I have and infact we used it today. Its a Champion 3500 and runs everything with no problem. We purchased it at Cabela's. With a noise level of 68dB it's pretty quiet, 8dB above normal conversation.

Its not as quiet as a Honda but for the $ its a good deal. I keep it in the back of my truck and run it from there. Works great for a stop to rest when on the road I just start it up and then rest with AC and then get back on the road.

If price is not a concern get the Honda.

jwb187

Hi Darb,

Here's another vote for the Kipor 3500ti!!! I have had mine a couple of years and its a great unit. Has electric start, wheel kit, is easy to pull and push around. Weighs about 130lbs. It will run my 15000btu ac plus a variety of other items at the same time. You just have to experiment to see what you have to shut down. Price when I bought mine was right around a grand. JWB

DaleR

Hi darb10
Just got the Camping World sale paper, they have the Honda EU3000, at club price, for $1849.
Have a good day, packer.

Tom of Ypsi

If you are in no big hurry for a generator you can get a Honda EU3000 from Speedway Sales & Service in Wisconsin for $1679 and free shipping. Mayberry's is another place and I do believe they are in California with free shipping. Shop around, CW is nice but at times they are high. BTW I do most of my shopping at CW but I do watch prices.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Ibought a Yamaha 2400. Runs the air ok. Fits in the front tank where I can run it with the door open. $1150 at the rally in Redmond Or.

snuffy

I have a Yamaha EF2800 which is a little louder than the 2400 or the Honda 2000. The Yamaha 2400 and Honda 2000 can be paralleled if you need more power. I'm satisfied with mine.