water filter

mariacyl

New Big Horn owners
Hi, I can't believe that no one has mentioned that the Heartlands don't have a water filteration system!! When we were looking at them my husband kept asking where it was, and the sales man said oh its here some where, then the guy that did the walk through with us said oh I will find it.....well come to find out there wasn't one!! So they gave us one for under the sink, is that what everyone has done installed one themselves?
Maria

jbeletti

Maria,

A wise RV technician told me it's best to not build-in the filters and softener. So I ordered a 2-stage whole-house style filtration system, then later a portable softener. They are all connected to each other and they site in a plastic Coke crate on the ground next to the trailer.

I have tired of lifting it in and out of the trailer to store and re-deploy it each time we camp, so I may consider building it into the next coach, against the wise counsel of the RV tech.

Jim

geeksrus

I agree, not including an in-line filter is disappointing. My previous Cardinal, a much lower level unit, had one & I expected my Big Horn to include one.:mad:

mariacyl

New Big Horn owners
So the one that the dealer gave us for under the sink...no good? We should buy a whole house that is installed on the outside before the water comes into the unit? Is that right, what about the water that is in the holding tank?
Maria & Ron

Last edited:

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
I think that would be wise to do in order to keep all your water lines clean and not just the line going to the fauset in our couch. Evans & Lana

jpmorgan37

I had a built in filter in my last coach and don't ever want another one. I prefer an inline coming from the park supply that filters everything. It will save your plumbing fixtures and hot water heater in the long run. And, you will know when it's time to change the filters. If you winterize your coach, the built in's are a real pain to do. Just my opinion.

John

retroxrider

I made a setup similar to what DennisZ got from Costco. I got two whole house filters from Home Depot and the fittings from work (work in the HVAC/Plumbing dept). I put a tee before the filters and a draw-off valve so that I can run a hose to my black water flusher without using filtered water. After an episode I had in Bar Harbor, I want all the water coming into the camper filtered (something in the water coated the water heater, and the next trip out the water smelled of rotten eggs).

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I've been using an "el-cheapo" in line filter, I get at Wal-Mart, for years. I use it for a maximum of two weeks and change it for a new one. If we aren't out for more than a weekend I put a little bleach in it, fill it with water and cap it off and use it again, after I rinse out the bleach/water. It works pretty good and is relatively inexpensive.