LP generator use in cold weather

jandvs

To all you RVers who camp in cold weather (30's and below) with an LP generator, do you have any tricks to keep it running when your propane tanks get below half full? We have a 5500 Onan LPG generator that runs like a champ if the temp is above the upper 30's. When it's 35 or below it won't run unless the tank it's drawing from is minimum half full. Cummins and our RV service shop have told us there's no way around this. Service tech said to put a small heater in the tank enclosure (would have to be battery-operated, obviously) but we haven't found one yet.

We don't plan to dry camp much in cold weather but unexpected things happen. It wouldn't take long to draw a 40# tank down to half full which would leave us in a bind. Would appreciate recommendations!

danemayer

Putting possible ignition sources next to the propane tank is not a good idea. I'd ignore the tech's advice on putting a heat source in the tank enclosure.

If still under warranty, I'd have them check to make sure you're getting 11 water column inches of LP pressure to the generator. If the hoses are marginal, that may be complicating the problem at low temps. We had that problem when our rig was new.

We take extended ski trips (4-6 weeks) with temps often well below zero (F), during which we rent a 100# propane tank to keep from filling tanks every few days to run the furnace. When power went out for 6 hours last January, we had no problems running the generator. If your trips are long enough to make that practical, that's what I'd suggest.

GOTTOYS

Are you using Propane or Butane? I've used Propane to heat my ice fishing house when it's been well below zero with no problems at all...You shouldn't be having any problems at the temps you are talking about..Don