Caulking is showing signs of cracking around edge of rubber roof

jhardin

I was washing my roof the other day when I noticed the caulking on the edges of my rubber roof is starting to show some cracks. I guess the best way to describe this is, the cracks are not so open that you can feel them with your fingernail. It looks like what some people call dry rot around a tire close to the rim. My BH was a year old in October. I keep it under a shelter, (so it is out of sunlight) other than camping. My concern was raised when I asked Camping World about this (she called it some type of cord) and was told I needed to have my roof treated for a little over a $1400. I informed them my camper was just over a year old so could it be covered under warranty, but was told no, (falls under maintenance!) So, you mean to tell me, every year I can plan on spending $1400 to maintain my roof? My question is
1. Is this normal? :confused:
2. Can I fix this myself? (I’m a pretty good handyman):cool:
3. Am I just overreacting to normal deterioration at an early stage?
:eek:
Thanks in advance!
Jerry

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You need to redo the caulking on the roof and all over the RV periodically. The cracks in the caulking could let water in. Just like you need to check the caulking around you sticks and bricks home. It is normal due to aging of the caulk.
Yes, you can recaulk it yourself by removing as much as the old caulk as you can, making sure the surface is clean and dry and then recaulk. Some of us have used Eternabond tape over the caulk which is a more permanent type of repair. I would not spend $1400 to get my roof treated. Treating the roof has nothing to do with the caulk, and you can buy the materials to treat your roof yourself.

evolvingpowercat

Heartland and all other manufacturers that caulk their front and rear cap joints say recaulk every year and check several times per year. Only way you might not need to recaulk every year is if you never tow and move your unit. Some claim that if you use Eternabond tape instead of recaulking it will last longer than a year. I don't know I have just touched up the caulking on mine as needed. Be sure to buy the right product that is designed for RV with rubber roofs on line or at your RV dealer and not just stuff from a home center. Be sure to start with a clean dry surface.

ihsolutions

We could give you a better answer if you posted a close-up picture of what you're talking about. Hairline "cracks" in caulk are nothing to be concerned about, this is just the early stages of caulk deteriorating. If you push the caulk around a little with the tip of your finger, you can get a better idea of how deep the crack goes. I'm betting at one year, it's just superficial, in which case you probably don't need to do anything.

I have to disagree with Jim about removing as much of the old caulk as you can, with some exceptions. If you have no leaks and good caulk underneath, I'd go right over it with new caulk. You're more likely to do damage to the roof trying to remove the old stuff. An exception to this would be if you have a deep split or something else going on because of movement between two surfaces.

Oh, and please dismiss CW's $1400 suggested fix as nothing more than a money grab. That's just disgusting that they would suggest that.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have to disagree with Jim about removing as much of the old caulk as you can, with some exceptions. If you have no leaks and good caulk underneath, I'd go right over it with new caulk. You're more likely to do damage to the roof trying to remove the old stuff. An exception to this would be if you have a deep split or something else going on because of movement between two surfaces.

I think what Jim is referring to is the loose caulk that has shrunk and lifted off of the surface. Dirt will accumulate under that little lip and new caulk won't adhere very well to the loose stuff.
I believe jhardin's caulk is doing just that, lifting up along the edge. I too would remove the loose/lifted caulk material and clean the area good and recaulk.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As a side note. The roof manufacture says not to put anything on the roof material. Wash it 2-3 times a year with DAWN dish soap.