Microsoft Streets and Trips

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
OK, now that I brought my black friday version MS Streets and Trips I need help on how to use it. I find that all software comes with minimum instructions on the actual use and then its ordain by fire. So I turn to my fellow campers to help. My first question is can I change a route and manually put in a route? If so how? ALso how do I find areas that we as RVer's need to avoid, Baltimore Tunnel.

Rrloren

I use this software as well. It took a little while to figure much of it out but now I can plan a trip in a reasonable amount of time. I plan my trips manually and it is not difficult.
I setup a MapStart with my home as starting point, then put in where I want to go and make Home my ending point then let it calculate, then depending on how many miles I want to travel I start making stops on the route I want to take and search for campgrounds.That's the icon on top bar for "finding nearby places" which you can setup to search for the things you are interested in.

You can drag the green line to whatever road you want to travel and it will re-calculate.
Play around like I did and it will become easy.
As far as programming for areas RV's should avoid I haven't found anything that specific that does that in the program, perhaps someone else has a suggestion.
Hope this helps.

jimtoo

I received my ST 2013 and loaded it yesterday. Not to pleased with it yet. My 2006 version and 2010 may have had more info... trying to find out if there is a way to get more info for RV parks and other places. In my home town the locations of 2 businesses are way off,, not even on the correct street. Will wait and see as I have a complaint listed with MS.

Jim M

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
OK, now that I brought my black friday version MS Streets and Trips I need help on how to use it. I find that all software comes with minimum instructions on the actual use and then its ordain by fire. So I turn to my fellow campers to help. My first question is can I change a route and manually put in a route? If so how? ALso how do I find areas that we as RVer's need to avoid, Baltimore Tunnel.

There are good how-to videos, Tips and tricks, and other how-tos available on microsofts web site for streets and trips.
Follow the link below and look for the helpful information box on the right side of the page.
http://www.microsoft.com/streets/en-us/STLanding.aspx?refcd=GO20120703172800100002s_microsoft_streets_and_trips_2013&tsacr=GO14031094569

There are also more how-to articles and videos here too.
http://www.microsoft.com/streets/en-us/support-and-training.aspx

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I received my ST 2013 and loaded it yesterday. Not to pleased with it yet. My 2006 version and 2010 may have had more info... trying to find out if there is a way to get more info for RV parks and other places. In my home town the locations of 2 businesses are way off,, not even on the correct street. Will wait and see as I have a complaint listed with MS.

Jim M

If you want more info that you can ever probably use, add the latest points of interest mega file from http://msstreets.com/poimegafile/ This site is the Microsoft streets team blog.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I used this ONCE and never since! What is in my rig is a SAMSUNG Galaxy pad with Verizon navigation and I never have to upgrade or search changes. I put it in (by voice), it talks and shows me a map there and when I arrive it shows me a current picture of the destination building. It costs pennys! I will never own a stand alone nav system again!

porthole

Retired
I am still using the 2006 version. Haven't liked any of the upgrades since then. But I only use it to do some planning at home. Especially for motorcycle trips.

I have one file saved with every trailer trip we have taken (destinations). And a 2nd fie with all current year trips planned - looking to see how to make the best of destinations around one trip.

happykraut

I've been using S&T for many years and absolutely love it. You can go to the top within the program and click Route>Route options>Segments>Preferred Roads>Preferred Road Type and use the sliders to pick the roads you prefer. Hope this helps a little bit.