5th Wheel Hitch Overhang Fiberglass Delamination

wdk450

Gang:
I have noted that the fiberglass on the bottom of my hitch overhang area is delaminated all over and drooping as much as 4 inches. I don't hear water slosh or see dripping when I flex it up and down. Is it possible to secure this with screws? Holding this up over the years seems to be a lot to ask adhesives to do. The metal above seems pretty solid, so I don't know about drilling holes and sheet metal screws. There is about 2 inches of give in the hitch covering area between hitched (weight bearing) and unhitched.

2008 Bighorn 3670RL

Thanks in advance for the advise!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: 5th Wheel Hitch Overhang Fiberglas Delamination

Are you saying that when you are hitched up verses un hitched there is a two inch difference from the pin to the front cap or luan type material under the bedroom?
If there is a change when you hitch up then I suspect that you may have broken welds in the front area.
If you are just getting sagging in the thin luan type material, then that can be screwed to some steel cross members. You will want to use self drilling screws along with some fender washers.
Can you post some pictures?

Peace
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

wdk450

Are you saying that when you are hitched up verses un hitched there is a two inch difference from the pin to the front cap or luan type material under the bedroom?
If there is a change when you hitch up then I suspect that you may have broken welds in the front area.
If you are just getting sagging in the thin luan type material, then that can be screwed to some steel cross members. You will want to use self drilling screws along with some fender washers.

Peace
Dave

Dave and All:
I am saying I see a label on the side of the MorRyde hitch go up about 2 inches into the fiberglass surround (which is now cracked/broken) when the hitch bears weight. Meanwhile all of the topping fiberglass to the rear of the hitch is loose, sagging down.

jnbhobe

Sounds to me like you have a broken frame and if its moving two inches I wouldn't tow it very far.

danemayer

5th Wheel Hitch Overhang Fiberglas Delamination

Get some pictures and call Heartland Customer Service. Several people with similar problems have had them fixed back at the factory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TXBobcat

Fulltime
5th Wheel Hitch Overhang Fiberglas Delamination

The underhang that is sagging could very well have a water leak causing the start rotting. This is what happened to me.
BC

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

Subscribed.....waiting for a photo of this. Could this just be the underbelly overhanging skin sagging?

aatauses

It sounds like you have a frame issue, photos would be a great help. Also, if you are only talking about the sagging of the fiberglass, then yes you can put srews up into the frame and cinch that up---I have seen a a few that did some of that with molding and it looked pretty good--they used the same material (molding) that is on the front cap. I also think you should call HL and chat with them about your issue.
al

wdk450

OK Here's some pics I took last month. Heartland asked for more including rear shots???
This first one shows the droopy, delaminated, fiberglass
011.jpg

Next a view from the D/S of the top of the hitch. Note the line marked into the hitch metal at the top big washer where the fiberglass sets when the hitch is bearing weight.
001.jpg

The thumbnails below somehow got included in the message after I deleted them. They show other views of the problems.
Also, if Heartland DOES agree to fix this it will cost me around $2000 to tow to Elkhart and back from the West Coast, if I dare tow at all. I might be able to get it fixed locally for that.
I was hoping that just 2 inches considering a 1 ton pin weight wasn't too much out of the norm.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    790.2 KB · Views: 433
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    617.5 KB · Views: 460

Dave49

It appears that you may very well have a water problem. I had the same thing happen in my 2011 Bighorn. I have no clue where that water came from as I looked at all the caulking and even resealed at the top of the cap just to be sure. This ruined the filon backing on the back of the fiberglass. But now I also have the frame flex issue they are talkng about and Heartland is taking care of that when I get it to them. Work with Heartland and they will work with you. When they ask for certain pictures make sure you get each and everyone of them they ask for the first time, it saves a lot of time. When you talk to them have a pen and paper ready because they will be asking for about a dozen pictures that they need to determine what has to be done. I don't like my situation with frame flex but they are willing to make it right and I am very happy about that.

Dave

HappyKayakers

Peace
Dave

Dave,
Are you talking about existing steel cross members? I seem to recall hearing that there's nothing but thin corrugated cardboard above that luan. Mine is also drooping and I know for a fact that there was water intrusion in Washington state. During a very heavy thunderstorm in KY, I drilled 2 small holes at the low points just to get the water out faster.

Yup

Just got a 2011 Big Country, noticed the sagging panel in the same area.

To me it looks like the luan has just dropped down.

Were is the metal framing? I can see were there is along the pin box, but is there anywere else or anything else in the area to re-attach too?

danemayer

Just got a 2011 Big Country, noticed the sagging panel in the same area.

To me it looks like the luan has just dropped down.

Were is the metal framing? I can see were there is along the pin box, but is there anywere else or anything else in the area to re-attach too?

Hi Yup,

Congratulations on your Big Country and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. As you've probably already noticed, this is the place to come for information and there's a great bunch of people here who are willing to share what they've learned.

I'm sure you'll see some useful responses shortly.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

This photo is of a Big Country under construction at the plant (2011 Rally visit). You can see most of the metal framing for the overhang. I believe this layout is similar for most, if not all, of the coaches.

View attachment 22711View attachment 22712

Yup

Thanks JohnDar those pics help a lot:)

Funny my wife and I are AlexDar.

wdk450

John:
Thanks for the photos!!! I think that Heartland service might have a construction document they can e-mail me that would have the spacing dimensions of the metal channels.

PUG

Pug

Whoa that is a real problem and the look of the photos makes me think it needs to go to an approved repair facility and have the underneath pulled down and all of the frame inspected and possibly rebuilt. Nasty looking.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I haven't tried it, but a Zircon electronic stud finder might be able to locate the steel framing members.

HappyKayakers

I emailed Heartland customer service last month and got a very prompt response with a design document attachment of the front frame area. It looks very similar to the pix posted by JohnDar. It didn't have all the measurements but it had enough that I could get in the ballpark, then press up to confirm the exact location. I tried using a stud finder previously and had no luck with it.

wdk450

I have gotten my hitch area frame flex problem approved for repair the week before the National rally. Lately I have noticed that I used to be able to push up on the loose fiberglass hanging from the top of the hitch overhang, but now it feels solid, although still bagging down. I am assuming that the frame flex repair will also take care of this overhang problem, but if not I will work something out with Heartland Service.

They have to pull off the front cap (and the bed slide) for the frame flex problem, so they will be digging around in that area.