Fifth Wheel Hitch for Torque 321

HornedToad

I sent a deposit off for a 2013 Torque 321, graduating from a bumper pull, I need a 5th Wheel Hitch to go pick it up.

I have a 2008 Ford F250 V10 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab 20 inch rims w/ a 6.5 bed.

I'm looking at installing a B&W Patriot 16K 5th Wheel Hitch.

Two questions...

With the Torque front cap do I need a "slider hitch" in my short bed?

Is the 16 to 19 inch vertical adjustment on this hitch enough to level the trailer on a 4WD or raise it to clear the bed?

Any other advice / recommendations?

Thanks

Mike

PS 10 yr TT owner who shopped around over a year and landed on the Torque.

Last edited:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I'd say no need for a slider.
You will have plenty of height on most hitches (my bed rails are 57" from the ground, I have 6" bed clearance with my hitch set at 16.5")
The problem you may have is the RV will be nose high. I raised by unit 3" to get things more level.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
The 321 front cap has the patent pending 88 degree turning radius that does not require a slider hitch

HornedToad

Thanks for the reply. It's great to hear from some with a truck similar to mine.

The height of my bedrail off the ground is 56 inches.

As mentioned I've never had a 5th Wheel. When you say "raise the unit by 3 inches to get level" is this done at the pin box?
Can I do this with ordinary tools or should I make arrangements with the dealer?

What type of hitch do you have?

Also, with my bumper pull (9000 lbs wet) I had some sag even with a weight distributuing hitch... I guess from your signature you would recommend air bags.

One last thing, again back to your signature, I've heard the tune kits work great on diesel but don't do much for gas. How does yours perform?

danemayer

Hi mbowden,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. As you're already finding, there's a lot of great information here along with friendly, helpful people.

Congratulations on placing your order and get ready for some good times. You might want to take a look at the EVENTS tab on the forum to check out upcoming fun gatherings near you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

caissiel

I have a 2005 F250 and the trailer is level when unhooked and drops down when loaded. I like it that way it makes easy setup
I added more leafs to the springs to smooth out the ride. It took nothing to load the overloads and rode rough stock.
Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Mike,
I also have 20" wheels and 6'-9" bed.
I have a Reese Pro 15K hitch and it works fine for my lighter XLT Sundance, you will want a heaver hitch like the B&W 16K or even better. I installed my hitch, there is a 2" mounting point play forth and aft of center line of the axle to install the hitch. I installed mine 1.5" forward of the rear axle so more weight gets transfered to the front axle. (harder to back up through) Lots of knowledge here on hitches so posting a separate thread on "hitches" will set you in the right direction.

The 3x SCT tunes from Mike@5STARtuning.com will do wonders for the V-10, better mileage up to 1 mpg towing, more torque off the line (my tires spin flat footed off the line with the " Economy Towing 87 Octane Tune"). The tunes will allow the transmission to shift through all 5 gears + one more second gear. Three custom SAFE tunes will be made for your PCM number. Talk to Mike or read more about these tunes @ FTE Well worth the $350 cost IMO.
You may want air bags or you may want to raise the Torque at the axles to be level, I suggest you hitch up and see how it looks/works first.
Upgrading the tires should be up there on your list.

(Note: moderator please don't delete this message, thanks)