North Trail FX17

caver

I was on the forum a couple years ago but asked to be removed when I bought a different brand. So I'm back shopping again.

I'm looking at a new 2012 FX17 model. I'm getting rid of a Lighthouse T18RB which I still really like but it has
severely limited water capacity...and cargo. So I'm trying to keep the trailer length close and started looking at
two axle units with larger water capacity. I went back to look at a dealers FX17 this morning.

Questions:
  • Why is the entry step so high up? It's almost like an extension is missing but their (dealers) other NT trailers were are the same way.
  • City water inlet in the rear of the trailer?
  • Fresh water inlet on the door entry side? This will be great at home but not so when I stop at an RV park.
  • Could the bedside fire escape window be replaced with one one can use for ventilation? My current trailer the window is similar but has a prop to keep it open for ventilation.
  • Does the ducted A/C really cycle like a resiential unit? Or is it like my current unit that is noisy and just cycles the compressor on and off.
  • Is the power awning adjustable like my current non powered unit? I've never owned a power awening.

Likes: Enclosed basement, ducted A/C (hopefull more qieut), has an oven, marine style power inlet connector, under tongue tire carrier.

A competing dealer mention OSB being used VS Jayco's plywood.

I'm sure there will be more questions.

Last edited:

caver

Well I'm the owner of a new (2012) FX17. I still haven't figured out the goofy step arrangement, it's too high and I'm above average in height. The under tire carrier will probably have to be removed. It drags upon entering the gutter/curb at the end of my driveway. I need to adjust my hitch hight but even that probably won't help in the places I like to go.

caver

I found I have the junk stereo mentioned in other threads. A bit cold out today but I'm getting acquainted with the camper.

caver

The dealer (McDowell South)found the stereo wired incorrectly. It was producing distortion in the outside speakers at low volume. About a week before my annual vacation in April my awning drive motor failed. Lucky the dealer had a salvaged unit they swapped out so I could use the awning on my trip. After I got back they swapped that out for a new one as the camper is still under warranty.

priorguy

Congratulations, it sounds like you found a great dealer to work with. Here's some answers to your concerns;

*I find the door side fresh water port to be useful when entering parks without site water hookups. You just pull up to one of the spigots along the road and fill up without running the hose over, under or around the trailer.
*Rear city water makes for a short connection at back in sites where the water and power are at the rear.
*My 28BRS escape windows can be propped open by the handle, and the steps are very low tot the ground.
*My power awning isn't adjustable, and I've been told none of them are.
*Touch audio radio should be replaced according to most threads, and I did that.
*Tongue mounted spare could be an issue depending on the situation, not for me yet but you never know.
*My ducted A/C does shut off when it reaches set point, but it is quite loud. There are quieter units on the market now.