TPMS while in storage

wingfoot

Just curious, do those that have the above...do you take them off while in storage? I was thinking that might save sensor battery power. I have the 507 monitor.

Thanks in advance for any help.

jnbhobe

I have the 510 and take them off in the winter. they have worked for 4 seasons now on the original batteries.

wdk450

As I understand it, the sensors "go to sleep" when they do not sense tire rotation, and use little or no current then. I did make sure to buy a couple of spare batteries to have on hand when on the road. Lithium batteries have something like a 7 year shelf storage life. Also, electronic contact cleaner is helpful for the battery contacts.

RAHanock

I remove mine when in storage. Also, I believe they are activated/deactivated with tire pressure rather than rotation. At least the 507 sensors work that way. Here is what the TST website says:

How long do the sensor batteries last?

"On average the 510 sensor batteries last between 5 and 7 years and the 507 batteries are intended to be changed approximately every 10-12 months. The sensors stop transmitting after being disconnected from the tires. If you park your commercial vehicle for extended periods of time or if you store an RV for the winter, you can remove the sensors and extend battery life. The included battery life estimate is based upon full time use."

porthole

Retired
Trailer - when I finally think about it, I remove the sensors and store them in water tight box I have for that purpose.
Truck - I switch the display to turn off trailer monitoring and keep it active for the truck, turning it on once a week or so to check tire pressures. Although that may change. I turned on the 507 a couple days ago and found a right inner tire that had only 18 psi. Drywall screw in the tire. Construction debris on the roadways around here will probably be a boon to tire companies.

Batteries are changed yearly anyway, so that is not a concern. BTW, you need new o-rings when replacing the batteries, free from TST.

wingfoot

Thanks guys for the good information. I think I'll take my sensors off..BTW,where do you get the batteries?

Thanks again.

wdk450

Thanks guys for the good information. I think I'll take my sensors off..BTW,where do you get the batteries?

Thanks again.

They are a watch battery. Jewelry section at WalMart or at Drugstore. If you need the O rings, most independent hardware stores have a good O ring selection, just bring a sample.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The 507 o-rings probably stretch and may disintegrate when you open the sensor.

Here's a pic of extra o rings and battery.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355088152.839387.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
They are a watch battery. Jewelry section at WalMart or at Drugstore. If you need the O rings, most independent hardware stores have a good O ring selection, just bring a sample.

The 507 o-rings probably stretch and may disintegrate when you open the sensor.

Forget the hardware store, you won't find these o-rings there. As Jon mentioned, TST will send them for free, just have to call and ask. I didn't bother getting a full set of extras, figured they could deteriorate over time. I did get a couple extra though in case I had battery issues.

The o-rings are a one time use and will mostl likey fall apart when you remove the cap.

Batteries on evil-bay, check this thread, 10 batteries for $11, shipped

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...pms-batteries-and-o-rings?highlight=batteries