2011 big horn rubber roof is bad

ggg911

I have had two different Rv repair persons inspect my roof and both say that the black rubber membrane is starting to show through. I am the second owner so no warranty extends. It is a Dicor roof. Has anyone on the forum had this experience so far. My unit is only 2 yrs and 9mths old, Dicor offers a 12 year warranty but only to the original owner. I would appreciate any input on this subject. Oh and yes the roof has only had a diluted dawn dish detergent or camco rubber roof cleaner. Thats it...G

ggg911

Thanks westxsrt10 but the previous owner was terminally ill and having chemo the whole time he owned it. While it is possible I somewhat doubt it. My experience is if an item is of quality the warranty should transfer the same as an automobile. Thanks though for your input

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
If you have small black spots showing all over it maybe just from tree sap and mold growing. If that's the case not much you can do,just a bad part of rubber roofs,all will get some over time.......Kenny

danemayer

My experience is if an item is of quality the warranty should transfer the same as an automobile. Thanks though for your input

Hi ggg911,

Have you called Dicor to discuss this with them? Even though you're not the original owner, and their warranty statement may give them an out, they might grant you a "goodwill" exception. Or they might not even ask if you're the original owner. I don't think their warranty covers cost of installation, which is the majority of the cost, but they might cover the EPDM roofing material.

As you've already discovered, RV warranties, and warranties on most RV appliances and subassemblies do not convey past the original owner. This is not a reflection of quality, it's an established RV industry practice that differs from business practices in the auto industry. Maybe one day it'll change, but for the time being, 3rd party service contracts are the only way to get any type of "warranty" coverage.

GOTTOYS

I would contact Dicor and see what they have to say. If they do warranty it they only cover the fabric itself not the labor or sealants. In reality while their warranty gives you something...it only amounts to about 10% of the actual cost of the replacement..As far as spraying it with Rhino roof...there are just too many things about doing that I have to question..Maybe it works, but I don't want to the one to try it...Don

mikeandconnie

Mobilcastle,
This looks interesting to me, I'm not impressed with our new Landmark roof. Too many big bubbles.. This also may help control the air loss with the new whisper AC duct leakage..."just a thought" I would need more information before I had it done.

Speedy

Mike or Connie, Have those bubbles looked at because we had the entire front section of our roof membrain fail on the way to the 2012 National Rally. It was bellowing up and flapping so much that it destroyed the bedroom vent. We were told that that membrain lost it's vacuum and would not stay down. It had to be peeled back and re-adherred to the roof decking. It was under warranty and we were lucky the Rally Techs were up to the challange of repairing it on site because we were planning on canceling our post-rally plans to have it fixed in order to get home.

It's a major project for anyone other than the factory guys.

yepuhuh

My friend David Adair owns David's Permanent Coatings, Inc in Green Cove Springs Florida. When I replace my roof on my big horn he will get my business only.
He has a lot of satisfied clients and attends all rv shows. The next one I believe will be the big rv show in Tampa, Fl.

his web is http://www.rvroof.com/
While it may not be conveient where he is located he has had clients from minnesota show up to get theirs done! And further away than that!

ggg911

Thanks to all for your info. The rv repair tech is working with Dicor. They wanted photos and what I cleaned it with. I haven't heard back yet but I will report on what happens. Thanks for all your input. g

Call me @ 850-944-9019 OR E-MAIL ME AT ray65@panhandle.rr.com I have found that Heartland manufactured the 2013 Big Country 3250 TS and other models with defective DICOR self-leveling roof TAN sealant ( caulking ) for at least three months on the 2012 and 2013 units. I have had Heartland replace every squair inch the roof defective TAN sealant twice on my unit once in July of 2012 and again December 13, 2012. The sides defective Tan sealant was replaced in July 2012 also. I have had over one hundred ( 100 ) plus water leaks on my new 2013 Big Country. By the way HEARTLAND PAID FOR THE REPLACEMENT TAN SEALANT IN JULY, 2012. DICOR PAID FOR THAT TAN SEALANT REPLACEMENT AND HAD WHITE SEALANT TO BE INSTALLED DECEMBER 13, 2012. THIS SHOULD SHOW THAT HEARTLAND AND DICOR KNOWS THE TAN SEALANT IS DEFECTIVE.

Last edited:

danemayer

Call me @ 850-944-9019 OR E-MAIL ME AT ray65@panhandle.rr.com I have found that Heartland manufactured the 2013 Big Country 3250 TS and other models with defective DICOR roof TAN sealant for at least three months on the 2012 and 2013 units. I have had Heartland replace ecery squair inch the roof defective TAN sealant twice on my unit once in July of 2011 and again December 13, 2012. The sides defective Tan sealant was replaced in July 2012 also. I have had over one hundred ( 100 ) plus water leaks on my new 2013 Big Counrty. By the way HEARTLAND PAID FOR THE REPLACEMENT TAN SEALANT IN JULY, 2012. DICOR PAID FOR WHITE SEALANT THIS WEEK DECEMBER 13, 2012. THIS SHOULD SHOW THAT HEARTLAND AND DICOR KNOWS OF THE DEFECTIVE TAN SEALANT.

I spoke with Ray and he is describing a problem with the Dicor Tan caulk used to seal around vents, fan covers and skylights on the roof and in other areas on the coach. The caulk is split in over 100 places.

ggg911

I just heard from a friend in Fl that another fifth wheel just became aware of a rubber roof problem. I am home for Christmas and will report on this when I return. I think Dicor rubber roofs are the problem. It appears that perhaps the sealant is bad also. My fifth wheel is parked and is going no where at the moment. I am exploring alternatives to Dicor rubber roof. They have said that putting anything else on the roof will void the warranty. Then they tell me that there is no warranty for a 2nd owner. Hello. Double speak at its best. Come on Rv industry come up with an alternative. I will not buy another Rv with a rubber roof especially from Dicor. If that means no RV then so be it. As for Heartland, real lack of concern over this problem when I spoke to customer service. I disheartened over that, I thought they practiced some modicum of excellence in their product and customer service. The adventure continues. I will be going to the Ft Myers rv show to see if their are any roof applications. Daves coatings looks great. In fact I spoke to him last year. I would have to have my unit towed there since I sold the truck last year. Thanks to all for your input..Merry Christmas gale