SOLVED: Genny spits fuel out by the air filter

Sandpirate69

Having an issue with the genny. I have a 5.5 KW Onan. I ran it for a few hours yesterday and now it will not start. When i tried to prime it, it spit fuel out via the air cleaner. So it refuses to start. It actually sounds like if the battery was dead, but it's fully charged. Need to some help, I hate to leave with a dead genny. Thank you in advance.

Ivan

danemayer

Re: Genny spits fuel out by the air filter

It actually sounds like if the battery was dead

Can you elaborate? Do you mean the generator's starter turns slower than normal when trying to start?

How do you know the battery is fully charged?

hoefler

Your flooded with fuel. Pull the plug, crank it over to purge the cylinder ( ground the plug wire first, your going to blow a lot of fuel out of the spark plug hole ), dry the plug and install. DO NOT prime it any more, hold the choke open and crank it until it starts. If fuel continues to run out of the carburetor, the float is stuck open. The carburetor needs to be removed and cleaned or rebuilt.

Sandpirate69

I checked the voltage via my volt meter and it was at 12v. Then I checked it again when connected to shore power & it was pushing 13.8 v. The starter doesn't engage, it sounds like when the Bat. on your car is weak and it just clicks or clacks. Before I went out to start it, it primed ok or at least it sounded normal. It ran great yesterday.

danemayer

Genny spits fuel out by the air filter

Sounds like a loose wire or tired 12v circuit breaker (near the battery). Have someone try starting it while you listen to the circuit breakers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sandpirate69

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your assistance. I found the ground cable to be loose. Tightened that and then drained the carb.. Primed it just a bit, then hit the starter and it started on the 2nd try. We are back in the game. Once again, thank you.