Hercules tires

cordystoy

Hi folks,

I'm one of the Towmax tire victims. I didn't have a blow out but 3 out of 4 of mine have worn unevenly. The two on the passenger side wore on the outside, at different rates and unevenly on each side of the tire. I had the easy-flex between the springs changed by Dexter at the Wyoming Rally last year. We noticed the rear tire wearing unevenly then. By the time I got to Fairbanks it was unsafe so I bought a new one there (the last tire of that size they had), I forgot the brand, but it cost $200. Then by the time I got to Anchorage the second passenger side tire had to be changed. I replaced it with a Goodyear Marathon, again about $200. So now I have three different brand tires on the rig, 2 replacement and 2 of the original. all the "same" size.

Now I back home, my dealer, Giant RV measured the axles and said they were straight. My drivers side rear tire is wearing on the inside. I'm still dealing with the warranty issue but I'm finally at my point of the thread, has anyone ever used Hercules tires? I can get some 235 85 R16 F rated tires for about half what the Goodyear 614's cost. They are manufactured in the US, 12 ply rated for 3960 lbs. I haven't been over to the shop to look at them yet.

My thinking is I'm afraid to spend the $400 a tire for the Goodyears in case the trailer is causing the bad tire wear. I'm looking into the Correct track system, but I need to replace at least two of the tires before going anywhere.

Any input would be welcome, especially on Hercules tires.

danemayer

I can get some 235 85 R16 F rated tires for about half what the Goodyear 614's cost. They are manufactured in the US, 12 ply rated for 3960 lbs.

Hi cordystoy,

Something doesn't add up. This is load rating F, with cold pressure of 95 psi, claiming to support 3960 lbs. A Goodyear G614 has a higher load rating of G, cold pressure of 110 psi, and claims to support 3750 lbs - 210 lbs less. My understanding is that the air pressure provides the support, so this seems suspect. Before buying, I'd get a good explanation of how the higher weight rating is achieved.

Don't forget to check your wheels. If you originally had E rated tires, you probably also have support up to 80 psi. If you go to a higher rated tire, you'll need higher rated wheels too.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'll bet someone thought that Tow Max was a good deal at one time.
If your rims will handle 110 psi then I would recommend the Goodyear G-614. They may cost a bit more but....
Maxxis might be a better choice depending on your weight carrying requirements.
I know that tire prices are all over the place, but I just bought a set of G-614 that were $340 each, mount, balance and tax. Check around for prices.
The Hercules tire weighs 41.7 lbs. and the GY weighs in at 56 lbs.
And I agree with Dan, it's hard to believe that an F rated tire will support more weight than the G tire.
I would also take the rig in for an alignment. The Correct Track will do nothing for the camber, and based on your description of tire wear, camber might be the problem.

Peace
Dave

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
You might want to consider this tire. I have them.

http://simpletire.com/sailun-235-85r16-8244393-tires

I had these on my BH when it came from HL. They are actually fairly decent trailer tires.

I got around 15k miles out of them before the edges started wearing.

The wear was due to my negligence in not keeping them properly inflated.

They probably would have gone another 10K miles with proper care from me.

I ended up replacing them with G614's. Trace

Last edited:

lwmcguir

We have over 20 trailers and you cant go wrong with the Goodyear's. We blew all the others out at one time or another when loaded heavy and running hot. Found it was cheaper to pay more and have them last longer. The main thing is the trailer damage. We are pretty much self insured so a lot of damage came right out of the pocket and hit home. A few trailers still have the Chinese tires they came with and on dual's they seem to last OK. When they go they will be replaced by Goodyear's. We only run them on trailers that can stand a blow out and not damage skirts or fender well's. If we don't start supporting more American manufacturing it wont ever get back and the money will continue to leave the country.

cordystoy

Hi thanks for the replies, well now I'm officially in no mans land. The tire people (Tredit/TBC) say the tires went bad due to alignment and balance, and the dealer (Giant RV Murrieta)says the alignment is just fine. The tires are the first set from the factory. I was at the Wyoming rally and I believe the Tredit rep said they don't balance trailer tires, although I believe one of the suspension reps contradicted that. So who should I believe? If I put the expensive Goodyears on and they wear poorly I'm out of luck. I been also been told different things about the ability to align the trailer, but the dealer claims it's fine anyway. The trailer is only one year old and clearly I was given and trailer that is out of alignment or had three bad tires.

Additionally, I had a TPMS on since I've owned the trailer, my trailer was weighed at the rally and was fine, and my wheels are capable of 110 PSI.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
cordystoy,

You said the tires wore unevenly. Can you show pics or describe? Was it one edge all the way around, or spotty wear?

We had a tire (Original) that wore unevenly (only on the inside edge but not consistently around the tires.) We had balanced the tires, and our alignment was fine, as well. I sent TBC a video of the tire rolling so they could see the uneven wear. They sent a new tire, no charge. If Tredit is claiming the tires were not balanced and that caused it, then they are talking out of both sides of their mouth... You are right, they said balancing wasn't necessary at the Rally in Gillette, and Tredit would not pay for us to have a tire balanced when we had a cracked rim replaced (They said it wasn't part of the standard install procedure).

Maybe try again with TBC. Are you talking directly to them? I had good dealings with this gal: Aimee Walton,awalton@tbcbrands.com

Erika

cordystoy

Here are the pictures this is two different tires. And yes I talked directly with TBC, Olga, really nice lady.

Attachments

• IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 93

mobilcastle

I would take it to a shop where they align semi trucks and trailers and let them check the alignment-take along the tires so they can see the problem. It sure looks like an alignment issue to me. Good luck.

Sandpirate69

We have over 20 trailers and you cant go wrong with the Goodyear's. We blew all the others out at one time or another when loaded heavy and running hot. Found it was cheaper to pay more and have them last longer. The main thing is the trailer damage. We are pretty much self insured so a lot of damage came right out of the pocket and hit home. A few trailers still have the Chinese tires they came with and on dual's they seem to last OK. When they go they will be replaced by Goodyear's. We only run them on trailers that can stand a blow out and not damage skirts or fender well's. If we don't start supporting more American manufacturing it wont ever get back and the money will continue to leave the country.

Spoken like a true "Patriot" I second your comment, which I highlighted in RED. Build here, buy here !!!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Although your dealer said the alignment is correct, I seriously doubt that he has the equipment to check camber and toe. Only the axles square to the pin.
As was mentioned, take your rig to a shop that does alignment of big truck and trailers. They are the experts on alignment.
What do your axles look like? Do they have a slight arch upward.
In my non professional opinion, the tires in the pics show an alignment or axle problem.
Take it to the pros.

Peace
Dave

Sandpirate69

Although your dealer said the alignment is correct, I seriously doubt that he has the equipment to check camber and toe. Only the axles square to the pin.
As was mentioned, take your rig to a shop that does alignment of big truck and trailers. They are the experts on alignment.
What do your axles look like? Do they have a slight arch upward.
In my non professional opinion, the tires in the pics show an alignment or axle problem.
Take it to the pros.

Peace
Dave

Dave,

Question: How would they change the camber and toe on a trailer with our type of axles? I know on a vehicle you will use shims. But i'm curious how it's done.

Ivan

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dave,

Question: How would they change the camber and toe on a trailer with our type of axles? I know on a vehicle you will use shims. But i'm curious how it's done.

Ivan
The actually bend the axles. It's called a cold bend. A common procedure on trailers.
I have had mine done. Cost was around $165.

Peace
Dave

Sandpirate69

Thats very interesting. I always wondered how the axles had the camber or toe adjusted. You learn something new every day. Thank you for lesson.

Ivan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

cordystoy

Yeah I think I'm going to take it to an alignment shop.... but shouldn't this be under warranty the trailer is just a year old, and it is nothing I caused, clearly within the warranty period.

danemayer

Yeah I think I'm going to take it to an alignment shop.... but shouldn't this be under warranty the trailer is just a year old, and it is nothing I caused, clearly within the warranty period.

The axles are warranted by Lippert or Dexter (whoever made them). I've found both to be a little flexible about warranty dates, so you may want to give them a call. On the other hand, they're likely to talk to you about curbs, bad roads, and other things that are not manufacturing defects.

Btw, I think Dexter has a 2 year warranty. Not sure about Lippert.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Frequent tight turns can cause issues as well.

How about the springs? If your springs are flattening, they may be contributing. If you have had tire or suspension work, did they jack on the axle tube? They could have bent it. Lippert recommends lifting from the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Hi cordystoy,

Something doesn't add up. This is load rating F, with cold pressure of 95 psi, claiming to support 3960 lbs. A Goodyear G614 has a higher load rating of G, cold pressure of 110 psi, and claims to support 3750 lbs - 210 lbs less. My understanding is that the air pressure provides the support, so this seems suspect. Before buying, I'd get a good explanation of how the higher weight rating is achieved.

Don't forget to check your wheels. If you originally had E rated tires, you probably also have support up to 80 psi. If you go to a higher rated tire, you'll need higher rated wheels too.

Cooper RM 160 comes in a 215 and a 235. 215 is rated at 4805lbs at 125psi. The 235 is rated at over 6000lbs at 125psi. Granted the 235 has a bit more surface area for the air pressure to react against but it's not that much more.

Most importantly, the G614 is a LT and the Herc is a ST tire.