washer discharge

4ever

We had a stack washer and dryer installed in our Grand Canyon. The dealer installed the washer discharge into the discharge standpipe in the rig and then sealed the connection with plumbers putty. Normally there is a little space between the discharge hose from the washer and the standpipe as the diameters are slightly different He sealed the connection with plumbers putty to prevent the hose from working out during travel and from water backing up and spilling out. In the instruction manual for the washer they say not to seal this connection as to prevent the hose from siphoning. The standpipe does have a vent the goes up to the roof of the unit. I would assume that this vent to the roof would provide enough venting.

Has anyone else sealed the discharge hose?

Thanks,

Ted

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see any reason to seal that stand pipe.
There is a P-trap to prevent any unwanted gasses from the tank.
If your tank is not full there will be no backup. And if it is full, that water will find someplace to go.
And if there is a concern about the hose working itself out of the pipe, just secure the hose with some tie straps.
The stand pipes in our houses are not sealed.
JMHO

Peace
Dave

Peace
Dave

Birchwood

No,we didn't seal the discharge hose and have never heard of this type of install.I think I used a tie wrap and the
wire bracket that came with the washer to hold the drain securely in place(it has never moved in 4 years) and
we travel extensively.

rjr6150

The washer instructions are correct. By sealing the standpipe its possible to cause siphoning especially when traveling down the road. Not sure brand of washer you have our Splendid has an adapter to hold the hose in the standpipe.

I just purchased a 2013 road warrior 415 and I have never dealt with a washer and dryer in a rv before . what is the best direction to go? stackables or combination? and what will fit in this compartment? What is the best bang for the buck? Its not something that will be used a great deal.

Kurt

danemayer

I just purchased a 2013 road warrior 415 and I have never dealt with a washer and dryer in a rv before . what is the best direction to go? stackables or combination? and what will fit in this compartment? What is the best bang for the buck? Its not something that will be used a great deal.

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

Congratulations on your Road Warrior and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find lots of great information here along with a bunch of friendly and helpful people.

I'm sure you'll get some comments shortly from other RW owners regarding your choices.

There have been some threads over the past few months that suggest that stackables produce less wrinkling than the combination units, if that's important to you. We have the stackable units and are happy with them.