Rand McNally RVND 7720 Deal

MTPockets

Got the same message.. We have the 7710 which is only one year old so I hate to trade it in for $100 when I paid $349 for it. I think they had so many complaints with the brightness of the 7710, they came out with the 7720... I'm afraid to buy it - I would if they would give me a better deal for my 7710 but as it is, I'm leary due to the problem with the model it supercedes. I still use mine, but only when towing..... I use my Garmin for everything else - it's a much better unit; at least that's my experience.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Got the same message.. We have the 7710 which is only one year old so I hate to trade it in for $100 when I paid $349 for it. I think they had so many complaints with the brightness of the 7710, they came out with the 7720... I'm afraid to buy it - I would if they would give me a better deal for my 7710 but as it is, I'm leary due to the problem with the model it supercedes. I still use mine, but only when towing..... I use my Garmin for everything else - it's a much better unit; at least that's my experience.

I wonder if you called customer service and told them how you feel about the 7710 if they'd be willing to cut you a better deal.

NWILSON

I think I would make a phone call and speak directly to them. It's a lot easier to say "No" in an email than it is to a person on the other end of the phone.

NWILSON

Our 7720 was delivered this morning. I haven't taken it out on the road yet but so far I'm impressed with the ease of operation and the multitude of options to select from.
I can't wait to see how it works in the real world!

jimpav

I've had my 7720 for a couple of weeks now. Tons of features as compared to the Garmin Nuvi units. RM really needs to develop some software like Garmin's Basecamp, to enable routing, waypoints, etc. There is a micro SD slot, but it is not functional. The Garmin's let you save pictures and POIs to your card. The included "checklists", under RV tools are really nice, and you can even create your own custom list to organize things. The big question is how long the digitizer will last. That seems to be a consumable item on most GPS units. I've replaced my Garmin digitizer twice. They take a lot of abuse.

MTPockets

I've had my 7720 for a couple of weeks now. Tons of features as compared to the Garmin Nuvi units. RM really needs to develop some software like Garmin's Basecamp, to enable routing, waypoints, etc. There is a micro SD slot, but it is not functional. The Garmin's let you save pictures and POIs to your card. The included "checklists", under RV tools are really nice, and you can even create your own custom list to organize things. The big question is how long the digitizer will last. That seems to be a consumable item on most GPS units. I've replaced my Garmin digitizer twice. They take a lot of abuse.

SD slot not functional?..... Why is it there? Do you mean it's broken?

NWILSON

I'm still a bit overwhelmed with all the new gadgetry but I noticed in the "Release Notes" for the online update I ran, the 7720 allows adding of POI's from the website poi-factory.com.
I haven't tried the process yet but it looks like a wealth of waypoints available to add.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have added wifi and diesel station POI's from poi factory to our RM.

The only drawback is that it doesn't alert you of the POI with enough time to make the exit.

It also mis-pronounces wifi, saying "wee fee, Starbucks"

And "diesel final" the call out before a diesel service station, saying "dye-sul-fee-naal, Pilot"

By the time the trip is nearly done, I'm tired of hearing it. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimtoo

Well,,, I just ordered one of the 7720's. Hope I like it. Looks like they have a lot of POI's that come with it. OH>.. they have extended the time on the trade-in discount for a few more days.

Do you know if they have a Voice control download like Garmin has on their webb site... I have not looked yet, but on Garmin with one of the units that you can add voices to,,, this site will let you do your own voice and edit.. kinda neat.. I did mine and like it.

Jim M

mobilcastle

I had one (7710) last year and I sent it back. I hope this new unit is better for any of you that trade in. I went with a trucker TomTom and I have been happy with it.

jimpav

I'm still a bit overwhelmed with all the new gadgetry but I noticed in the "Release Notes" for the online update I ran, the 7720 allows adding of POI's from the website poi-factory.com.
I haven't tried the process yet but it looks like a wealth of waypoints available to add.

I have used POI factory successfully. You just have to download the correct file extensions. Some POIs are in the .gpx format, which you can convert to the .csv file.

jimpav

Well,,, I just ordered one of the 7720's. Hope I like it. Looks like they have a lot of POI's that come with it. OH>.. they have extended the time on the trade-in discount for a few more days.

Do you know if they have a Voice control download like Garmin has on their webb site... I have not looked yet, but on Garmin with one of the units that you can add voices to,,, this site will let you do your own voice and edit.. kinda neat.. I did mine and like it.

Jim M

I don't believe the 7720 has the capability to add voices. They only give you either a male or female english language choice.

wolfrat1

Okay, for those of you that have the 7720, what do you really think? I've read some excellent reviews and some really crappy reviews. I would like to get one but I don't know yet. I thought about the Magellan 9165, but people are really tearing it up.

danemayer

Not a lot of towing going on around Christmas. Feedback will likely be better by late June.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thedonald

I have a new Rand Mcnalley and it does not work as advertised so why would I want another one. Another product that reads well, but ???????????

shelsay

We've had ours for about a year and are quite satisfied with it. Our only real complaint is that it is somewhat difficult to see if bright daylight. I think we'll get the shield I see on the RM website to help with that problem.

Pat