3795 Blows GFCI

Deepsky3539

I got my new 3795 home last week and went to plug it in so I could run the lights without killing the battery. The first thing it did was blow my GFCI breaker. I hit the reset button and it promptly blew again. I even turned off every breaker and removed every fuse in the unit but it still blew the breaker. It even blew the breaker with the disconnect in the generator compartment turned off. It works fine when not plugged in to a GFCI plug. Anyone else experienced this? I have the 80amp converter and was wondering if there was too much of a load but that really shouldn't blow a GFCI not matter how much it was pulling. It should blow the hose breaker which it was not.

Loco

What size circuit are you plugging into at home? I put in a 50 amp circuit and plug out side of our house just for our rig. so we can plug it up whenwe have it at the house. It is not good for the AC or any things else to plug it into a 20 amp plug at home. You should have at least a 30 amp line for your rig. Also if the ground is not wired right in the trailer it will make it kick

Deepsky3539

It is not a special circuit for the rig. I was just trying to not drain the battery while I worked on the rails in the garage.

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
You might have either of two minor problems here. There are actually two different GFCI recepticals, one is 15amp and one is 20amp. You might have an extension cord which is not heavy enough wire and too long. You will need a 12 gauge wire at least and not over 50 feet long. As for the recepticals, there aren't many 15 amp left in use but you might check that.

rvansnick

I have a brand new 3795 as well and did the same thing first time camping and plugged into a 50 amp service. I pushed the reset on the one in the bedroom a couple of time and it has been fine since. It may be a bad GFI. I have a more major problem as when I run the Generator there is no power, when I turn on the circuit breakers on the Genset the Generator shuts off. Does anyone know if there is something that has to be turned off somewhere before you use the generator??

Thanks,
Rick VanSnick
nova Scotia, Canada

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Deepsky3539, I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not, but a friend of mine has a motorhome and had a problem with his GFCI in the bathroom. From the one in the bath it goes to 2 recepticals in the kitchen. We changed out the receptical but it still tripped. After a couple of days of checking and rechecking I called an electrician friend of mine and he advised that moisture from somewhere was getting in the circuit. So with some more checking we found a slight water leak under the kitchen sink. We put fans and electric heater under the sink and after about a week everything started working and has had no problems since then. Hope this might help.
Bill