HD DVR Died

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
My DirecTV receiver died Monday evening. Just went black. No lights on front panel no response to pushing buttons or reseting. I tried the unplug for 30 seconds trick too but to no avail. I called DTV and there's a new one on the way. Sadly, everything we had on the DVR is gone.:( I don't suppose anyone knows a way to retrieve the recorded shows on the hard drive??
I had the last season of "24" on the hard drive waiting for a weekend I could just sit back and watch it all in a day or two. I guess I'll be looking for the DVD.

danemayer

If you can remove the hard drive from the dead unit and put it in an external enclosure with SATA connection, you may be able to attach it to the new receiver as an external drive. I think many of the Directv receivers unofficially support an external drive via SATA cable. You might have to search on the Directv technical forum for details on whether you need to do anything else, and how it would work. Here's a link to an enclosure for 3.5" drives - not sure what size might be in your receiver - could be 2.5".

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ray, Dan might be correct, however, if you have to return the old receiver don't open it up. They might charge you.
If you can keep it, I have drive enclosures for the 3.5" drives.
We can see about recovery in June.

Peace
Dave

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
If you subscribe to Netflix you can watch every episode of 24 through the internet.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If you subscribe to Netflix you can watch every episode of 24 through the internet.

I tried the free month with Netflix but wasn't impressed with the selection of recent releases at the time. I've heard it's improved though. The other possible problem is intermittent wifi in most parks. Our Verizon MiFi is only 5 gig so I'd use that up pretty quick watching movies. Good thought though!!!

Dan, I have to return the receiver. Not sure why, I've been with DTV for 3 years. It must be part of the protection plan requirements. There's a sticker on the cover that would indicate tampering so I dare not remove it. Pretty steep fines.
It's all good now. Got the receiver this afternoon and somehow we now have HD on many channels and free Cinimax for a few months. I'll rent 24 when I'm ready and have a few days to watch. Right now I'm enjoying the great HD picture:eek:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay Ray You might look into what I connected between my DVR and TV. It is called a Hauppauge HD PVR . I just run it when I am watching a program and it puts it on my computer, then with the included software I burn it to a CD, put it in my album. Watch it any time I want. It is easy to install if you have easy access to the connections on your TV..

BC