Dually Daily Driver??

datedd

I think one of the biggest issues why some won’t opt for a dually is that it is not considered a good daily driver. I want to know if this is true or not. Not to be sexist, but I see a lot of duallys being driven by women around my city, (which is in the San Bernardino area) like it’s no big deal. In fact, there is one that I see parked at the bank where I pass by when taking my walks, an F350. She backs it in, parks by the curb and takes up about a space and one half because of the wide rear. Generally with my current car I never park close in parking lots because I don’t like people dinging my paint. So parking far away is not big deal for me at the store, movies, school where I work etc. if a parking garage, I would probably park on the top because squeezing in-between two cars, would not work. So what I am asking from the dually crowd is: Do you use yours as a daily driver? Do you find it a pain when it comes to parking? Is fuel mileage an issue? I would like to hear thoughts on this because the usual conversations about DRW VS SRW deal with towing but not day to day use. I would find it rather wasteful to pay 60K for a truck to have it sit in one’s driveway because it can’t be driven due to it’s configuration.

beasleyrl

I don't. It sits on the street most of the time during the week. We have an F450 that gets about 12MPG when its NOT towing (about 6 when towing). I drive between 100-150 miles per day round trip to work. Financially, it doesn't work for me. I had to buy a hybrid Toyota to even it out! :)

Around town, I don't find it a problem as I tend to park away from the stores too. When I have to go into DC, no way. Garages are just too small. Even with the great turing radius on the F450, its just too tight in the garages both for the size of the truck (ie length) but also for the height. Where I work, the garage is 6' 2". Just can't take a 6' 9" truck into that even if you can navigate the tight spaces. A coworker has an F350 and found out the hard way that the garage height's aren't always what they say. He scratched the heck out of the top of his truck! Good luck!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My dually is my daily driver. I back it into parking spots, when necessary, or pull in straight and take up two. I'll do that if the lot isn't crowded or I need to load some goods in the bed. Even then, I don't look for spots in front of the door and usually end up around the periphery of the lot. A little walking won't kill me. Mileage averages around 13 - 14 mpg on short city driving, but I didn't buy it to save money or admire it sitting on the driveway. But, for long trips without the trailer, we use the wife's 4-banger Equinox.

datedd

My dually is my daily driver. I back it into parking spots, when necessary, or pull in straight and take up two. I'll do that if the lot isn't crowded or I need to load some goods in the bed. Even then, I don't look for spots in front of the door and usually end up around the periphery of the lot. A little walking won't kill me. Mileage averages around 13 - 14 mpg on short city driving, but I didn't buy it to save money or admire it sitting on the driveway. But, for long trips without the trailer, we use the wife's 4-banger Equinox.

I heard that. I don't want to have an additional vehicle. My wife has her custom Camaro (which she FORBIDS me to drive) and her Toyota Yaris, which is her daily driver. I have an HHR that I plan to trade up for the truck. Thing is it would be nice to have a dually as one is not limited too much in 5ver choices, more payload for a nice tool box/aux fuel tank combo, extra tires for safety when towing etc. One of my students, a former electrical contractor told me he rode in his boss's King Ranch Dually, and he felt like he was in a Mercedes, with the ride quality solid feel and plush interior something that would be nice while traveling on the fwy to work; much less across country.

When I was in high school my first car was a 1972 Ford Econoline E-300 1 ton super-van with wide tires and custom paint. At the time, it didn't seem like a big deal having a van that size except when everyone and their mother wanted me to haul things..lol.

Westwind

I have a 3/4 ton single wheel GMC with the same engine and Transmission as JohnDar and get approximate the same mileage as he does, so fuel mileage shouldn't be a factor, in my humble opinion it's more what you feel, nothing is a problem if we don't feel it is. In the case of GM the difference between 3/4 ton and 1 ton I've been told is about $600 give or take, maintenance would be 2 additional tires, ride - maybe a little more bounce. Everyone else addressed parking, I say take one out for a drive and take a trip to a mall parking lot and try it out.

scottyb

datedd, I am facing the same decision, only mine was made for me by my choice in 5ers. I have driven a large pickup F250, F350, 3500 for many years. I never wanted or liked a dually, and to me there is only one reason to own one, because you have to have it. Well, I have to have it. Although I have been backing into parking spaces, looking for straight-in shots, parking at the end of parking lots for many years, and it will add one more layer to the challenge, and will add 50% more to the cost for tires. As someone who averages 40K / year, that's significant.

Good luck in your decision. I hope to get mine within the next 3 - 4 months.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I have a 03 F250 and a 2011 F450. I use the 250 as my "regular" truck and my 450 as the "tow truck" but do drive the 450 around town too. Every time I do I wonder why I don't use it more!! It drives like any other truck I've owned, the turning radius is MUCH better the 250 and parking is not an issue for me. I can't comment on mileage because I don't pay attention to that.

Having said all that, please understand that I don't use either of them very often. I try to do all my errands when I meet Amy in town for supper every Friday so a few hundred miles a month would be a lot for me (RVing aside of coarse).

Vtxkid

2011 Chevy 3500 Dually here and no its not my daily driver if I can help it. I have a Honda Gold Wing that gets me back and forth as needed except rainy days. I will say the beast does get very good fuel mileage though for that size of a truck...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

olyfire

We bought our 2002 3500 Chevy dully new and use it constantly. I was still working the first two years I had it and parked it in a parking lot. Now we use it all the time and think nothing of it. We do like parking it out a bit in a parking lot just to keep anyone from door dinging it. The more you drive it the smaller it feels. Of course when we travel, which we do for months at a time, it's our only vehicle. My wife and I both drive it and shes only 5 foot tall with no problem.
We do have the Duramax and get 18 mpg city or freeway.

Rob_Fla

We have a 2012 GMC 3500 Dually that we use as a daily driver.
My wife uses it daily, she was a little nervious at first but after a few shopping, Dr and such trips, she is getting used to the bigger truck and doing great.
We moved up from a 2500HD SRW to the 3500 DRW, tows much smoother and a lot more stable.
Since we tow our 5er monthly and the move the DRW was the right move.

rgwilliams69

I have a 2012 F350 Crew Cab Lariat Ultimate Dually that I use as a daily driver, although sometimes I carpool to work with my wife - she has a Honda Odyssey. It is amazing to me the comfort of these new trucks, and I think that goes for all of the big three Ford, Chevy/GMC, and Dodge. As noted by some you are likely not going to get that closest parking spot, but I always parked out anyway - you'll even find out Odyssey out away from other vehicles. If you are a big fan of drive through lanes for fast food, cleaners, etc. there are some complications - I simply cannot get through some of them now - but those that are updated in the last few years generally have enough room. Fuel mileage, on my Ford anyway, is great. I'm getting 18-20 or so back and forth from work, mostly highway at 65 MPH. My wife is still adjusting but she has taken it to work a few times and had no problems thus far. Biggest hit I took, that really is not a big hit at all, is that now I cannot fit through my favorite automatic car wash. :( That is a dang big truck to hand wash! But overall I've noticed the ride is better than my previous F250 SRW and the extra width/length is rarely a consideration. Just have to swing those right turns a bit more. Everyone does try to get out of your way! :)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It is like anything else. Once you get used to it, it is no big deal. We go from the F350 to the Ford Fiesta (a wanna be car) all of the time. The Fiesta gets 40 mpg and we use it for very short trips. The F350 is much more comfortable so we use is alot, of course for towing the Landmark and for other running around. It gets 10 mpg towing and 16 on the highway. When parking we have to usually park further out but the walk helps us get more exercise. The thing you got to remember is if the mirrors clear the 'hips' (fenders) will clear.

wyleyrabbit

My truck ('09 Silverado 3500HD dually) is indeed my daily driver. Generally, no problem. Yes, sometimes parking is an issue. I would never take it to downtown Vancouver because much of the parking there is underground, and the spots are very narrow. Goiing to the mall, Walmart, Costco and so forth simply result in "extra exercise" for us. So it really depends on where you need to park.

Mine is a daily driver also.
Just like anything else, once you get used to it, it's second nature.
Most of the time I park out away from the crowd where there is room.
If I park in close, I push the button and fold in the mirrors so people don't walk into them.
Fuel economy I think is great for a truck this size.
No problems or issues.

Hockster

======================================================================================================================================

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
As you can see in my signature below, I only have 1 truck and it is a dully It is big and also a Diesel drunk. I do not usually have a issue with parking unless I am downtown in some areas. They just don't have parking spaces large enough or easy to get into. Forget the parking structures they are often not large enough. And I even have trouble getting around in them. Plus there is the high issue. We are full timers so we have to use the dully every day, to go everywhere. If it is your only vehicle and you need the dully to feel more support while on the road, then you have no choice. Get the dully, but if it is not your only vehicle or you don't think you need it to pull your coach, then don't buy it.

It really is just your choice. And as far as comfort goes, they are very roomy and the seats in my F350 are very comfortable. Also the overall size of the vehicle really makes you safer since you are most of the times the larger vehicle on the road. So my wife and I really like ours. Glad we made the choice to go with a dully.

Good luck,
Michael

JohnDar

My biggest problem with the dually long bed is getting out of my own driveway. Due to the narrow street and dumb *** visitors across the street that insist on parking in the street opposite my drive, I always back in so I can easily pull out. Very important when my pager is going off.

Sandpirate69

2008 chevy dually. Once you get used to driving that bad boy, its all good. Yes, drive-threws banks & underground parking are no-no's. I akways back in because there's the occasional moron that will park real close to u. My life lives driving it & yes people usually get out if the way. Also, I get about 14 city/18hwy thats hand calculated.

Good Luck Picking your Poison. LOL :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

JohnDar

2008 chevy dually. Once you get used to driving that bad boy, its all good. Yes, drive-threws banks & underground parking are no-no's. I akways back in because there's the occasional moron that will park real close to u. My life lives driving it & yes people usually get out if the way. Also, I get about 14 city/18hwy thats hand calculated.

Good Luck Picking your Poison. LOL :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Actually, I take mine through the credit union drive-thru. The tricky spots are using wall mounted ATMs. They're usually set at a height for midgetmobiles. Have to raise the steering wheel, unbuckle the seat belt and hang out the window.

mobilcastle

I had a SRW for towing then I went to a bigger 5ver and I felt I needed the dually (2011 Chevy 3500HD). It is not my daily driver but one of these days my DW and I will retire run away-then it will be my only vehicle. I don't have a problem driving it. It is comfortable to ride in and the mileage is about 11-12 towing and 18-20 hiway empty. It tows much better than the SRW we had. Good luck.

datedd

We have a 2012 GMC 3500 Dually that we use as a daily driver.
My wife uses it daily, she was a little nervious at first but after a few shopping, Dr and such trips, she is getting used to the bigger truck and doing great.
We moved up from a 2500HD SRW to the 3500 DRW, tows much smoother and a lot more stable.
Since we tow our 5er monthly and the move the DRW was the right move.

The one saving grace about buying a dually is that it would be considered "too small" as far as the wife is concerned since she (5'2" tall) was an over the road trucker for 25 years. :)