Problems with my new Big Country!

Since my purchase of my Big country I've had nothing but problems with it.
Several plumbing leaks,exaust fan has never worked,door latch is extermely hard to open ect.
My wife and I stay in our Big Country for 8-10 months at a time all over the US.
I am a pipeline welding inspector working 7 days a week usually so I don't have time to do the repairs myself.
I've had the dealer out to do the repairs several time but seem like all they want to do is "patch" things up and charge me a $150 service fee.
End of my rope and ready to dump this thing and get the Jayco Pinnacle that I wanted to begin with.

Steve Dulaney

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Problems!!!

Stevedulaney, sorry to hear that you are having problems.
Having some problems are pretty much a way of life in the RV world, but usually they are resolved by the dealer.
It doesn't sound like your dealer is actually fixing anything.
Are you still under warranty? When did you buy your rig?

Peace
Dave

Yes my Big Country is still under warranty. Just bought it in July of 2012.
My wife and I like everything about the RV except the constant water leaks and a few other minor problems that we can't seem to get resolved by the dealer.
Gets pretty frustrating.
Been looking at mobile suites online this morning.

Steve

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

I don't understand why you pay a $150 service fee if you are under warranty.
I suggest that you call Heartland Customer Service and explain what is going on. Something is not right. I am sure they can help you out.
Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030

Peace
Dave

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dave,
The 150.00 might be for a mobile service call (even though it seems a liitle high).
I don't think HL will pay for that, even if you are under warranty. Trace

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
stevedulaney:281194 said:
Yes my Big Country is still under warranty. Just bought it in July of 2012.
My wife and I like everything about the RV except the constant water leaks and a few other minor problems that we can't seem to get resolved by the dealer.
Gets pretty frustrating.
Been looking at mobile suites online this morning.

Steve

Sorry to hear about all your problems.

In the bigger scheme of things it sounds like they could be resolved pretty easily if someone would just take the time to do it correctly.
There are always a few start up problems with most rv's.
Be forewarned that no rv is going to have zero problems.
Unfortunately, especially at first, it is the nature of the beast.
Best of luck in getting all you issues resolved. Trace

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

You say constant water leaks, but where are the leaks coming from? Are we talking about the plumbing or leaks into the body of the trailer from the outside? Most plumbing leaks, if fixed right the first time, don't reoccur. But you say you move a lot, so are they just screw-on fixture fittings, like at the faucet? Some things will loosen as they bounce down the road and you need to check them before connecting back to a water supply or running your pump.

danemayer

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I'm sure it must be difficult to get things repaired when you're working 7 day weeks and living in the RV.

It's important to understand that if you let plumbing leaks go unrepaired, for whatever reason, you could end up with secondary problems, like rotted wood. So if you still have leaks, you really have to get it taken care of right away, no matter how busy things are.

A call to Heartland Customer Service might help to get things moving toward resolution of your problems. 877-262-8032. Have your Vin # ready.

The leaks have been mostly the crimp rings on the pex. First leak was under kitchen faucet. It was only a loose connection. Next was kitchen faucet itself. I replaced the faucet out of my pocket.
One leak was from the hot water tank. Dealer told me the wrong fitting was installed from the factory.
This RV was towed directly from dealer to where it sits now so the leaks can't be from bouncing down the road.
Like I said before my wife and I absolutely love our Big Country but the water leaks are ridiculous!!
Talked to the dealer this morning and he said this one is the first they have had any problems with.
I told him about this forum and looks like the Big Country is famous for water leaks.
Hopefully we can get the problem resolved quickly.
Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations .

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

The leaks have been mostly the crimp rings on the pex. First leak was under kitchen faucet. It was only a loose connection. Next was kitchen faucet itself. I replaced the faucet out of my pocket.
One leak was from the hot water tank. Dealer told me the wrong fitting was installed from the factory.
This RV was towed directly from dealer to where it sits now so the leaks can't be from bouncing down the road.
Like I said before my wife and I absolutely love our Big Country but the water leaks are ridiculous!!
Talked to the dealer this morning and he said this one is the first they have had any problems with.
I told him about this forum and looks like the Big Country is famous for water leaks.
Hopefully we can get the problem resolved quickly.
Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations .

Keep in mind, it was towed from Indiana to Alabama however. The dealer should have caught many of the leaks. Apparently they didn't do a very good Pre Delivery Inspection when they got it in, and it sounds like they may not have done a good one with you when you picked it up. My dealer spent over four hours with us going over the rig and the various systems (and this wasn't our first 5th wheel). It was hooked up to water the entire time. Had there been any water leaks, they would have probably manisfested themselves during that time. As far as Big Country being notorious for water leaks, you will always see the bad side on the forum. People are much more prone to post information about a leak than info ablout no leaks.

Well dealer came again today and replaced the entire supply line to water heater.
Maybe (crossed fingers) my water leaks are over.
Also got a call from Heatland customer service rep from result of these post.
Thanks to Anthony Roberts for his quick response.

laprez

Heartland will authorize mobile service - but you are responsible for the service fee ie no reimbursement.