PLEASE redesign the closet door latch

iefpro01

The closet door latch is dangerous and breaks easily. please change this design and let me retrofit something better on my unit...

v92c

Texan
I relocated the latches on mine. Moved them to the top part of the door, they are less dangerous.

Uncle Rog

I did the the same as the Texan, easy / quick fix until I find a good retro-fit, cut my arm twice, that was enough...........

Gary Steeves

My wife has scrapped her arm twice and has hit her head once. I sure agree that a "fix" is in order. I will relocate to top as you have..

I hope Heartland will make alternative hardware available.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
My wife is a crochet nut so she made little "booties" that cover our latches when we are parked. They prevent scrapes etc. They are however still a PITA to unlatch though.

jimtoo

We took our latches off and threw those arm scratching, cutting things away. I just cut a 1X4 board about 1" longer than the open area when both doors are to one side. I use it to hold doors from opening and closing while traveling. When parked it just lays on closet floor. No more scratches or cuts, don't fight to get doors open.

nscaler2

Door latch

Heavy duty velcor purchased at Home Depot works great on ours. No scratches, easy to attach. I have a strip about 5 inches longs. Works like a charm.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
jimtoo said:
We took our latches off and threw those arm scratching, cutting things away. I just cut a 1X4 board about 1" longer than the open area when both doors are to one side. I use it to hold doors from opening and closing while traveling. When parked it just lays on closet floor. No more scratches or cuts, don't fight to get doors open.
That's a great idea.

hertzberg

I did the same thing as Jimtoo and it works great. Attached a bit of foam on both sides of the board so I can wedge the board into the opening to ensure it doesn't slip out on rocky roads.

timk

Amen. My wife shed blood the first trip out. Needless to say the mickey mouse little bloody catch didnt make the second trip.

J

Jim_1899

closet Door plastic latch

My wife has a scare on her arm from the plastic latch on the closet door. I have been scratched many times too. I filed it off the points and now it is rounded. After reading about moving it I will do the same.

I hope they do make a change to a better product since it is a very inexpensive item.

Gary Steeves

I tried the Velcro idea on 1 door and it works great. Didn't come open on a 900 mile trip "bouncing" down the road and yet is easy for us to open.

The other door will get done tomorow.

Ron Schoner

Tin Star
I am on my 5th set of those _)(&^*&*$&^%# locks. I have moved them up. I have moved the out. I have used bungee cords. I will try the wood 1" and see if that works. Maybe I will even use velcor along with the wood. Or 10p nails and nail them closed......None

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Thanks to the advice of all those that previously shed blood, I filed ours down to rounded corners as soon as we got it home. They're still a PITA to open though. 5 out of 10 times I break a nail trying to pry them open. Please Heartland, can we have some better latches?

Two Hands

My right side closet latch has been broken and replaced two or three times. This posting reminded me that on our last outing the left side latch broke and I had forgotten about it. The velcro fastener sounds good. Would someone be kind enough to explain exactly how to use velcro to keep the closet doors closed.

ChopperBill

retired4fun said:
Anyone think that those magnetic tape strips might hold the doors? Could put a full length down the jambs.
Bump-Has anyone tried this yet. Seemed like a good idea to me. None Would like someone else to do the R&D. ;)

seamo

Bob and Christina Seaman
Hi I use the velco on my closet door when my latches broke for the third time. The velco really sticks. I love it-nice and tight. I got the idea from Judy and Tom Atkinson.

jpmorgan37

Here is another idea. Take the plastic latch off. Drill a hole in the bottom through the track and door. Put a pin through when travelling. You don't need it when you are stationary. That's what we have on our sliding pantry. You can get fancy and use a little chain to secure the pin or keep a few 8d nails in case you misplace one. They will work just fine.

Gary Steeves

I attached about a 6" strip of velcro to the edge of the door (midway up). Use a piece the same widthe as the door edge. I suggest you then attach the other side of the velcro to the piece you just attached to the door. Remove the strip to expose the sticky stuff and simply close the door. The piece will attach to the door frame and will provide perfect alignment of the 2 strips.

Mine works great. The doors stay put when traveling and it's not so much velcro that would make it difficult to open. Nothing protrudes, nothing to cut you up !!

Good luck !