California State Veterans Benefits - State Parks and Rec Pass

BRC

I dug through these forums and didn't see this info anywhere, sorry of it is a repost. ;)

There are a lot of things I dislike about California but this isn't one of them! You must be a California resident and either 1) POW status, 2) CMoH recepient, or 3) 50% or greater service connected disability rating with the VA

Found at http://www.calvet.ca.gov/vetservices/OtherBenefits.aspx

State Parks and Recreation Pass
The Benefits
A lifetime State of California Parks pass. The pass is free of charge and entitles the holder to the use of all basic State Park System operated facilities at no further charge.
Who May Be Eligible
Any war veteran (as defined in Public Resources Code section 5011.5) with a service-connected disability rated at 50% or greater, a Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient, or a former Prisoner of War. You must be a California resident to qualify for this pass.
How to Apply
To apply by mail, a veteran should submit: (1) a completed Department of Parks and Recreation form DPR 619 (Excel Document), (2) a letter from the USDVA verifying a service-connected disability rated at 50% or greater, or former Prisoner of War status, or evidence of the Medal of Honor award (3) a copy of the veterans drivers license to verify California residency.
Park Pass Sales Office
1416 9th Street, Room 144
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 653-8280
http://www.parks.ca.gov/

I've had this pass for years and use it regularly - it is pretty no-nonsense, only had a few camp hosts in somewhat remote CGs that didn't know it existed hassle me a bit ...other than that, no issues. The pass info and discount can be used when making resevations at reserveamerica as well. You'll still need to pay any extras (extra vehicles, pets, etc) but the camp site and normal ammenities are free.

Thanks for your service.

Semper Fi,
Brian

jimtoo

Re: California State Veterans Bennefits - State Parks and Rec Pass

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your information on the California Parks for veterans of California. I'm surprised it applies only to California residents.

The Handicampers area has not had much in the way of activities or updates since we lost Leftyf, (Rest in Piece Lefty) and we always need good information concerning benefits and help for our veterans and handicap folks.

Thanks again.

Jim M

BRC

Re: California State Veterans Bennefits - State Parks and Rec Pass

Hi Jim,

Yea, as it is a state bennefit it applies to all state parks and recreation areas. Other states offer similar programs on their own. There is a Federal program for all fed campgrounds and rec areas, I have that one as well and will dig out the info and post it up.

Brian