Federal Parks Access Pass

BRC

Here is the information on the Federal Parks access pass I mentioned. 50% discount on any Federal park reservation isn't to shabby.

From http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

Access Pass

• Free
  • For U.S. citizens or permanent residents with permanent disabilities.
  • May be obtained in person at a federal recreation site or through the mail using this application form. The cost of obtaining an Access Pass through the mail is ten dollars ($10) for processing the application (the Pass is free). Applicants must provide documentation of permanent disability and residency or citizenship.
  • May provide a 50 percent discount on some amenity fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launching, and specialized interpretive services.
  • Generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Interagency Access Pass

POW, CMoH, or 50% or greater service connected disability qualify for this pass.

This pass is recognized when making online reservations at reservamerica and I've never had an issue anytime I have used it.

Semper Fi,
Brian

jnbhobe

I have had one of the America the Beautiful for years, I picked it up at the National Forrest office by my camp. They are free to anyone with a handicap parking pass.

jpdoggett

I have had one for years cause I am a disabled Vet, you can get the golden age card if you are over 65

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We have the America the Beautiful Pass , a great deal for us young at heart older folks. We just made reservations for one of the Corps of Eng. Lake CG's we like to go to , $168.00 for 2 weeks full hookups. When you get half off the price makes a huge difference. Seniors can get it at age 62 , cost was $5.00 good for life. Here is a link to check out http://store.usgs.gov/pass/senior.html

pegmikef

Yep, especially useful for COE parks which I think are the best deal going for campers. Some, but not all, military family camps will give you a hack on fees as well.

bikerbob

FYI I just found out about this. I think its a Big Secret!! In Delaware Maryland and Louisiana the Federal Access Pas 62 and older And Handicap Pass is Honered in these 3 states for 50% off Camping.. Louisiana has some Beautifil state parks with full hook-ups. Very good deal Mery Christmas n Happy New Year!!!!!!

vangoes

Biker Bob,
FYI, Louisiana state parks will not honor it for out of state residents unless you are from a state that also honors it (reciprocity in their terms). I know this for sure because I am currently at Fountain Bleu state park in Mandeville, La. and we had a "conversation" about this upon check in. So bottom line, there is no break for seniors unless you are from Louisiana or Del, or Md.

bikerbob

Van, Thanks for quick reponse.Thats why i like this site so much u get the right information from someone who ben there done that. So by not having a Heartland Chapter in Louisiana u think someone at the dealer would tell u as it would be a big plus to selling a Rig. Only cost 10 bucks. Hope u are enjoying La. and the Park. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year....

Tumblebug

I have a senior Pass, works just like the other Federal passes, cost $10 for life, after age 62. 50% of federal park, great deal!
JD

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Tumblebug:281602 said:
I have a senior Pass, works just like the other Federal passes, cost $10 for life, after age 62. 50% of federal park, great deal!
JD

I went and got mine ON my 62nd birthday (while it is still available.)
One of the last good deals left in the world, IMHO. Trace

BRC

FYI I just found out about this. I think its a Big Secret!! In Delaware Maryland and Louisiana the Federal Access Pas 62 and older And Handicap Pass is Honered in these 3 states for 50% off Camping.. Louisiana has some Beautifil state parks with full hook-ups. Very good deal Mery Christmas n Happy New Year!!!!!!

Great point. Some states don't have their own programs and will honor the federal ones. Some states do though and I posted about the California one in another thread... similar to the Federal one but ...100% off instead of 50%. That is for the disabled veteran pass anyhow... for some of us that is our only option for a "few" years until we'd qualify for the 62 and older pass ;)

marc515

Per the Delaware State Parks Site: The policy for family camping, effective January 1, 2003 for all campgrounds is as follows: Delaware Residents with an America the Beautiful Access Pass will receive a 20% discount from normal camping rates. Passport holders who are not Delaware residents will receive a 10% discount.

MTPockets

The seniors pass has saved us hundreds of bucks with free Nat'l Park admission, half price camping at all Federal operated campgrounds...... Really a great deal.

jdfishing

I ran into a problem last year when trying to use my Access Pass in California at a Forest Service campground. Called Recreation.gov to make the reservation and they would not allow the 50% discount because the site had 30amp service. I explained the Forest Service policy, which states, "if the electrical is part of the basic campground fee, then the 50% discount applies". This was the case in my situation, but Recreation.gov wouldn't budge. I took my complaint to the Forest Service and they agreed the discount should apply, but had no authority to change what Recreation.gov was doing. Just checked the Recreation.gov site and attempted to make a reservation at the same campground. They ask for the Access Pass #, but the discount was not applied to the fee. Other than this event, the pass has been wonderful.