Winter Indoor Storage - Who does it?

bowhunt73

When I purchased my 33CK and decided to always store it indoors for the winter. I'm on my second winter storage. Anyone else store indoors for the winter? Do you think it's worth the extra money? I live in Michigan.

I found a great place in Grand Rapids with heat. They told me that I could trickle charge but I just flipped my battery shut off switch instead.

I pay 85 for an outdoor 60ft spot. Truck and trailer can both fit. Indoor was $150 a month with heat (50 or 55 degress) from November to April.

Happy camping....

PUG

Pug
nice way to go if you if u can afford it. has to be a lot easier on the unit, especially in your country.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mine sits outdoors in SE Michigan for $30 a month. It's now starting it's fifth winter outside without any problems.

rjr6150

Ours is in inside storage no heat but electric to plug in for $50 month. Wouldn't want it outside during the winter.

sjs731

We put ours indoors for the winter. No heat $200 for six months. Luckily I have a buddy who used to farm and has pole buildings not in use. You should see us pack the rigs in there. It takes some doing. We use all the space.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

piet10

Living in Northern Minnesota, I like the idea of winter indoor storage. I keep ours at the dealer in his storage facility for $17/foot for 6 months. I keep it on his outdoor lot during the summer. Dump facility for storage customers, plus very handy if I need work done on the rig.

Al

rgwilliams69

We have a 20ft x 70ft spot we keep all year long - $50/month indoor, lighted, security code 7x24 access storage. No heat or electricity though The storage is only about a 5 minute drive from our house, so perfect for us. During the summer there are a lot of weeks we do not put it in as we are only home for a few days. But during the winter it will be in there from the beginning of December to the middle of February straight. For maintenance I go out once a week and run the Onan for about 45 minutes with all the lights and other electricity on, also run the fireplace/furnace to bring the whole unit up to 70 degrees or so. Hook up to the truck a couple of times and pull forward/backwards by a foot or so to rotate where the tires are sitting also. Been successful with this setup for going on four years now. Love keeping it out of the sun, wind, rain, and snow (blizzard warning here this afternoon, expecting 3-5" plus of snow).

JeremyN

I keep mine inside during the winter too. It is usually in a friend's pole barn from about mid-November through March. It is not heated, nor do I have electricity, but it has a concrete floor and it does a real good job at keeping it safe and out of the winter weather. The pole barn is very weather tight (and animal tight). Nothing gets in. I feel very luck to have the ability to keep it in there.

Kbvols

Have always stored prior RV's in barn no heat. First year for 5'er storing indoor climate controlled. $80 month not too bad facility owner says I can come in when I want and wax on ect...seeing if they will let me do some indoor camping...waiting till first big snow..

jnbhobe

I keep mine inside with heat and electric, I have to pull off the AC to fit thru the door, but its worth it, doesn't cost me anything and I have 24/7 access. Also have full hookups if needed.

Sumo

I keep mine inside with heat and electric, I have to pull off the AC to fit thru the door, but its worth it, doesn't cost me anything and I have 24/7 access. Also have full hookups if needed.

THAT is a super sweet deal. I store mine indoors from Nov to the end of Feb.
Than the fun begins all over again.

bowhunt73

Yep. There is some snow coming. I missed out on a pole barn deal that was so cheap by two hours. Guy beat me to the last spot. That's what I get for waiting too late to find a spot. Next year I think I'll start looking in summer. I'll have to tell the wife next house = house plus pole barn.

1231ChaseB

I couldn't find a place to keep mine out of the weather summer and winter so bought a Shelter Logic and that work's great although there is no heat in it ! haha!
For what we spend on these thing's the sun can make a mess out of the finish in a hurry !
chaseb

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just for grins, I did a search for indoor RV storage around here. Nobody reasonably close and they all want a lot of $$ for it. If they don't make them to sit outdoors, why do they make them in the first place??

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

Hey Jon, wouldn't it be easier to cut an opening above the door with some kind of flap (like a doggy door) for the AC unit to clear thru? :rolleyes:

jnbhobe

Hey Jon, wouldn't it be easier to cut an opening above the door with some kind of flap (like a doggy door) for the AC unit to clear thru? :rolleyes:

Gus, I have looked at every way possible but its all concrete with a steel I beam lental. Just way too much work fo this old man !! The AC is quick and easy but if I had it bigger I would keep it inside in the summer too when we were home.

bowhunt73

On my last unit......SOB. I stored outside no cover. Then I saw that everyone else was putting those covers on. What a great idea, right??? So I purchased one. The wind slap was so bad after that winter that I had to buff / wax it out. The next year I thought that I would be smart and put some ropes around it (like the others in the storage lot) around the middle and then over the top in three spots. That helped with the wind slapping, but now I had wear marks in my roof on the corners for the three ropes. I put pads underneath, but that winter wind can be nasty.

To JohnDar's point, I must say that after 7 years my TT still looked brand new. After shelling out the $$ for my current 5th wheel, I decided to keep her as nice as physically possible. I'm paying on the high side this winter for sure. That daily frost and temperature change freeze / unfreeze has to take a toll on a unit after some time. Good info here. I have some ideas of prices that I should be able to find next year.

Randall