Converter trouble

:(Recently my 12v lights would intermittently flicker. When this happened a chattering noise would come from the converter. It would only last 30 seconds or so and then the lights would come back on. When I checked voltage at the panel it would be down around 8-9volts. Normally it is 14v at the buss.I disconnected the battery for a few hours to see if it still happened and it did. I think this has ruled out any battery problem.My unit is a WFCO model WF-9865. It is just over 2 years old. It doesn't get hot and the cooling fan works ok. Anybody else had any similar problems. Also if I have to replace it is there any point in getting the same as it hasn't lasted well at all. Any ideas on good replacements

danemayer

Hi robertessman,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of people who are willing to share what they've learned.

Do you have a Heartland RV? Which model?

Since the problem is the same with battery in the circuit or not, it does sound like you may have a problem with the converter. I think the WFCO has a 2 year warranty. If you're just past 2 years, they might cut you a little slack. Try calling them at (574) 294-8997 and ask them if it sounds like a converter problem. They may just volunteer to send you one.

Thanks for the reply Dan. I called them yesterday and sat on hold twice for a tech both times eventually getting cut off. I then called bestconverter.com and talked to Randy. He told me he gets numerous calls everyday about these units from WFCO and that they just don't last. He suggested a powermax boondock as it has a 3 year warranty and is less money. Ordered it yesterday so will update once it arrives.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Think I found your problem.
Distributed in the U.S.A. and Canada by
CHENG USA, INC.

Unlike the Progressive Dynamic line of converters which are Made in USA.

wdk450

Robertessman:
A. I would check things out with another battery in place. For this test any large 12 volt battery would do.
B. If that checks out, I would then see about getting another converter, or using a battery charger in place of the converter.

:(Recently my 12v lights would intermittently flicker. When this happened a chattering noise would come from the converter. It would only last 30 seconds or so and then the lights would come back on. When I checked voltage at the panel it would be down around 8-9volts. Normally it is 14v at the buss.I disconnected the battery for a few hours to see if it still happened and it did. I think this has ruled out any battery problem.My unit is a WFCO model WF-9865. It is just over 2 years old. It doesn't get hot and the cooling fan works ok. Anybody else had any similar problems. Also if I have to replace it is there any point in getting the same as it hasn't lasted well at all. Any ideas on good replacements

Stinger381

My 2011 Sundance is doing the same thing. I am about to pull my converter and check it out. My lights dim and then I can hear a fan whine from the converter for about 30 secs or so. I thought it was the battery so I disconnected it and the flickering stopped. I bought a new battery and it does it again now. I think the battery charger portion is faulty and it causing the other issues.

danemayer

My 2011 Sundance is doing the same thing. I am about to pull my converter and check it out. My lights dim and then I can hear a fan whine from the converter for about 30 secs or so. I thought it was the battery so I disconnected it and the flickering stopped. I bought a new battery and it does it again now. I think the battery charger portion is faulty and it causing the other issues.
Hi Stinger381,

If you haven't already done so, take a look at our 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide. It may help you figure things out.

RickSmith

Greetings Bill, KJ6TBE,
Did you install the Pure sine wave Inverter for your Ham gear?
I am planning to use the 12 volt circuit for my rig.
Rick, WA5DXJ, San Antonio TX

wdk450

Rick:
I got the 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter off of E-Bay (about $250 as I remember) to power most anything in the rig from my 4 batteries when I feel like it. I have the inverter in the front compartment, close to the batteries, then used a heavy duty extension cord and routed that up into my laundry storage in the steps area, and left the end of the cord there. I also wired a toggle switch into a 2 wire cable, soldered that in parallel with the main switch on the inverter, and routed that cable and switch into the laundry storage also. Now I can pull out the extension cord, connect it to anything I want to, turn on the inside power switch, and have 110 VAC power when I want it.
I last used the system when I was unpacking the trailer after a month trip, it was warm, and I wanted to run my portable fan.

Thanks for the reply Dan. I called them yesterday and sat on hold twice for a tech both times eventually getting cut off. I then called bestconverter.com and talked to Randy. He told me he gets numerous calls everyday about these units from WFCO and that they just don't last. He suggested a powermax boondock as it has a 3 year warranty and is less money. Ordered it yesterday so will update once it arrives.

I also have a fairly new converter gone bad ( 3 years) and am wondering if there are any repair shops that could repair the bad converter. Just ordered and paid for a new one and am feeling nervous about how long it will last. For $336.00 I would think it would last longer than three years..... Also had to get a new switch box that cost $200.00 because the manufacture would not supply sub-component parts...

Lee and Alfie Randall
2010 Road Warrior 361RW
Have had nothing but trouble with it from day one....
Assembly, sloppy workmanship, cheep parts...
leeswoodcreations@dishmail.net

danemayer

I also have a fairly new converter gone bad ( 3 years) and am wondering if there are any repair shops that could repair the bad converter. Just ordered and paid for a new one and am feeling nervous about how long it will last. For $336.00 I would think it would last longer than three years..... Also had to get a new switch box that cost $200.00 because the manufacture would not supply sub-component parts...

Lee and Alfie Randall
2010 Road Warrior 361RW

Hi Lee and Alfie,

Maybe someone has had a Power Converter repaired and can comment on where and how much it cost.

$336 sounds awfully high unless it included labor charges to install it. You can buy a Progressive Dynamics PD9200 80 Amp with Charge Wizard for $217 from amazon.com.

If the switch box you mentioned is the transfer switch, I just replaced mine. $147 from Amazon.com.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I also have a fairly new converter gone bad ( 3 years) and am wondering if there are any repair shops that could repair the bad converter.
Lee and Alfie Randall
2010 Road Warrior 361RW
If you give a call to Progressive Dynamics They have a refurbish program. I don't recall the exact price, but I think it was just over $100.

Peace
Dave