Campsite Security

Here's a basic question regarding security at a campsite. If you unhook your tow vehicle and go to town for dinner, what is a good way to secure your fifth wheel at the campsite. I mean, how do you prevent somebody hooking up and taking the whole thing?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know how common 5th wheel theft is, but I gotta believe it happens.
There is a pin lock available. It's a locking clamp that goes over the pin.
If mine ever missing when I come back the insurance company gets a call. After the police that is.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

Here's a basic question regarding security at a campsite. If you unhook your tow vehicle and go to town for dinner, what is a good way to secure your fifth wheel at the campsite. I mean, how do you prevent somebody hooking up and taking the whole thing?

I have a kingpin lock I use if I leave it in the mountains, other wise the level-up kind of keeps it secure if you don't know how to run it. But mostly I don't worry about it.

jbeletti

I recently used a pin lock when I parked my unit unattended for a couple days at a trade show. But at a campground in-season, I would not worry much about the RV being stolen. In storage - that's different.
23155_1024x768_a.jpg

RoadJunkie

I used to store my rig at a community storage site for RVs and because insecure about the possibility of theft. You probably realize, as I do, that this is a highly unlikely scenario that someone would simply hook up a rig and steal it, but I guess it does happen. I bought a Master king pin lock similar to this http://www.walmart.com/ip/HitchMate...3856069-2&adid=1500000000000036337720&veh=cse

I know nothing will keep someone intent on stealing a rig, but this may send a thief down the line to an easier prey.

ncc1701e

While no plan is aboslute, I carry both of these in most intances. They come with little cheap locks. I put mine in a drill press and bored the openings to accept something that breaking off will take a lot of effort. I don't have a good picture, but gives some piece of mind. The only other thing is selection of campgrounds. If it looks bad, move on.

GOTTOYS

I use a kingpin lock if I'm in a remote location. Otherwise I keep it insured and don't worry about it...Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not something I worry about. With the four Ground Control jacks on the ground with a slight lift off the tires, anybody wanting to steal it is going to have to drag it. Can't operate the jacks without the remote for it, either. Bigger concern is them breaking in and stealing contents and vandalizing the interior. That I've experienced in the local storage yard. Fortunately all they took was the TV's and didn't tear up anything besides the entry door glass, latch and screen.

Rodbuster

Run a chain through the spokes of your wheels with a good padlock. Nothing wrong with a pin lock either.
As for myself, I don't worry about it.

Birchwood

I have a kingpin lock onboard just in case we have to leave the fifthwheel in a parking lot (mostly for emergencies)
I used the lock at a campground a couple times when we first got it but haven't used it for a couple years .

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I'm intrigued with the idea of some kind of security switch on the landing gear!

With battery powered angle grinders you gotta get some pretty serious chain or lock to keep it from being compromised.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm intrigued with the idea of some kind of security switch on the landing gear!

With battery powered angle grinders you gotta get some pretty serious chain or lock to keep it from being compromised.

A simple toggle switch across one wire hidden somewhere is all you need. After having a van stolen many years ago, I installed one in the replacement vehicle. Just had to remember to switch it on as I climbed up to the driver's seat.

rgwilliams69

Campsite security provided by "Old English Sheepdog, Inc.". Makes a pretty good pillow for the young uns as well. :)
IMG_2549.jpg

cb1313

This has got me to thinking about a on/off swith in the front compartment to turn off the front jacksor just unplug the front jack motor. Maybe install a bike lock in the front jack to stop the jack from retacting. Nobodys going to try and drag of a trailer with the front jacks down.... well almost nobody....????

scottyb

A master switch is a common factory installed item on dozers, loaders, and other heavy equipment. Unfortunately any equipment operator knows the location and probably has a key to fit. Therefore, most construction companies get more creative in their locations and/or access. It generally cuts of all the power, but it would be pretty easy to install something with a keyed switch on the landing gear only, so the 12v power remains where it is needed.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I like the kill-switch idea also.

I almost always use a kingpin lock if we are away from our site.... Or, I keep one of our vehicles parked in front of the rig. The reason; if we are away from the rig, many times our pets are inside.

All the insurance in the world isn't going to replace them.

I have seen wanted posters looking for stolen rigs, so yes it does happen. Trace

Last edited:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We used to use the Kingpin lock as well but since we have installed the Reico-Titan one touch wireless ground control leveling system, we don't use anything. The thieves would have to break into the garage area to get to the master control or have the remote to raise the legs. I guess nothing is fool proof but they would make a lot of noise trying to get the coach.

I use a King Pin Lock, plus I also have a kill switch installed in the battery compartment (which is locked) to kill the landing gear.
When I'm all set up, the King Pin Lock is installed and the power to the landing gear is killed and the compartment locked.
The King Pin Lock serves 2 functions for me. # 1 is security and # 2 it keeps people from brushing into the grease on my King Pin.
I know some of you are thinking that the compartment key is standard for most all manufacturers trailers.
This is true, but I have also changed that to a different keyed lock.
If I'm using the rig or it's in storage, everything is locked.

Hockster

======================================================================================================================================

DonnyB007

I just bought a kill switch to install on my trailer battery. Thanks for the idea to put that switch under lock and key. I will modify my schematics to foil those nasty thieves! Lol