Towmax replacements - Questions

Zoomzoommo

My 3110 has arrived, and after reading the various postings about the Towmax's propensity to fail, I feel the need to replace them for peace of mind. So I've been reading up on the Goodyear Marathon's, the Maxxis, and other tires, including LT options.

Does anyone know the max psi rating for the wheels used on the Cyclone's 7,000 # Dexter axles? Is anyone using LT tires on Cyclones?

Gaffer

The Goodyear Marathon is not a good tire. Stay away from it. Go with the Maxxis or open the wallet and get Goodyear G614's.

Zoomzoommo

This one ? Anyone else running these tires ?

ABF6BF0B-4F82-44A8-80DF-B6635ECB3F38-12050-000007E4034746F6.jpg

danemayer

This one ? Anyone else running these tires ?

ABF6BF0B-4F82-44A8-80DF-B6635ECB3F38-12050-000007E4034746F6.jpg

Thats the one. Most Landmarks have them. Your Towmax are probably load range E with wheels rated to 80psi. G614 is load range G. You'll need to upgrade the wheels at the same to also handle 110psi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

57chevyconvt

The pressure rating of the alloy wheel is cast into the inside of the wheel, i.e., back side of wheel. My 2010 BH was supplied with #6000 axles and TowMax tires, the alloy wheels are rated for the 110 psig as noted for the GY G614 tires. I am throughly pleased with the G614 tires. I have been running the G614 tires since Oct 2011 and have ~ 16,000 miles on the tires, including a round trip to Alaska of 12,000 miles. Very little ware on the GY tires.

jnbhobe

Thats the one. Most Landmarks have them. Your Towmax are probably load range E with wheels rated to 80psi. G614 is load range G. You'll need to upgrade the wheels at the same to also handle 110psi.

If you have the right wheels the G-614 is the tire to use, if not invest in 17.5 wheels and tires.

Zoomzoommo

So I'm going to run by the dealer this afternoon and crawl under the Cyclone to check the psi rating on the wheels. If they are 80 psi, I'll check with the local trailer parts distributor on 17.5" wheel/tire pricing. Depending on the price, I may just replace the TowMax tires with Maxxis tires and call it good. Although I do like the idea of an LH tire like the G614 with a higher load and speed rating.

Who has moved up to 17.50" wheels? Is there plenty of clearance for this this upgrade? Does this size open things up on tire choices?

tmcran

So I'm going to run by the dealer this afternoon and crawl under the Cyclone to check the psi rating on the wheels. If they are 80 psi, I'll check with the local trailer parts distributor on 17.5" wheel/tire pricing. Depending on the price, I may just replace the TowMax tires with Maxxis tires and call it good. Although I do like the idea of an LH tire like the G614 with a higher load and speed rating.

Who has moved up to 17.50" wheels? Is there plenty of clearance for this this upgrade? Does this size open things up on tire choices?

I have used the Maxxis on two RV. Never had problem and will again if need replacement tires.

GOTTOYS

You may have to remove a wheel to see the rating on it. Mine is cast in the center of one of the spokes and it is is not visible because the brake drum is in the way...Don

scottyb

You can also go to Treadit website and find your wheels. It will give you the load capacity but not the pressure rating. In my case they are the T07 8-spoke with 8 hole and are rated for 3750 lbs. Treadit confirmed that they are 110 psi rated. I chose a different path and went with Michellin XPS Ribs, but I have 6 tires.

lwmcguir

The Goodyear Trailer tires G/H are both slightly less in diameter than most 235.85.16 Space for the tire/wheel won't be an issue

Zoomzoommo

You can also go to Treadit website and find your wheels. It will give you the load capacity but not the pressure rating. In my case they are the T07 8-spoke with 8 hole and are rated for 3750 lbs. Treadit confirmed that they are 110 psi rated. I chose a different path and went with Michellin XPS Ribs, but I have 6 tires.

3,750 #, 110 psi. Time to price shop the G614's :)

08ea5e70fa18182e3f891a1e13e34c09.jpg

Phatkd

I went to my dealer today to look at the tires I have on the BH 3010RE. They are indeed the towmaxx :( I was told by the sales guy that he hasn't seen issues with those tires,..but I trust this forum alot more than a salesman. What are you guys paying for a set of 4 G614's? I don't know this for sure, but I am just assuming that the stock aluminium wheels will work right?

I'm not very happy about having to replace all tires before my first trip, but if there is one thing that I don't want to happen,..Its a blowout causing severe damage to my rig.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I went to my dealer today to look at the tires I have on the BH 3010RE. They are indeed the towmaxx :( I was told by the sales guy that he hasn't seen issues with those tires,..but I trust this forum alot more than a salesman. What are you guys paying for a set of 4 G614's? I don't know this for sure, but I am just assuming that the stock aluminium wheels will work right?

I'm not very happy about having to replace all tires before my first trip, but if there is one thing that I don't want to happen,..Its a blowout causing severe damage to my rig.

They run about $375.00/tire. As far as your wheel goes, you need to make sure your wheels are rated at 110psi in order to handle the G614's.

Zoomzoommo

I paid $345 a tire locally, so with sales tax, the price was equivalent to the online resellers. The Heartland dealer mounted them as part of the 'deal'.

Garypowell

I am sorry that I missed this posting yesterday and maybe this is a dead thread but I feel compelled to tell my story concerning my purchase of 4 G 614's. Basically I will copy what I wrote to the company. I will take out the company name because I think it was not really anyone's fault....but rather their "book" of information was wrong. Which meant everyone at the store was trained incorrectly.

The bottom line statement I will make here since you might now want to read my saga.....MAKE SURE THAT THE PEOPLE WHO ARE PUTTING ON YOUR TIRES KNOW WHAT THEYARE DOING!

First I will say that everyone at the store today was very professional and courteous. And in many respects no one did anything wrong but I showed up at my 10:30 appointment on time and have just arrived home at 4 PM....so as you can imagine there is a little bit of a story.

I purchased 4 Goodyear 235/85R16's last week and had them installed on my RV today.

I had been forewarned by the rim manufacturer/distributor be sure and get valve stems rated at a minimum of 110 pounds. I was also told they would be all metal except for a rubber washer. Your crew was gracious enough to let me watch. I noticed that they used a valve stem that was part rubber and part metal. I asked if they were good to 110 pounds and was told "yes".

To your managers credit he approached me about 5 minutes later and said, "We don't have any 110 pound valve stems" and he showed me the little book that has such information in it. So again I was impressed that he took the initiative to correct himself....and of course this is an obvious safety issue so I was certainly pleased about that.

Of course his statement begged me to ask the obvious question "how can you sell me a 110# tire if you only have 100# valve stems?". He said it was a good question. He ventured the opinion based on my rim that I might not be able to find 110 pound stems as these kinds of stems are more for truck tires.

As you can imagine we stoped production at that point to figure out what we were going to do since something was wrong. BUT I was also blocking one of the bays so they finished the two tires and I backed the Rig out of the way while we figured this out

I called Tread it Tire who was the supplier of these rims to the RV maker to get to the bottom of it. Tread it told me that my rim took a 22mm valve stem and while maybe not plentiful they were available from them for $1.27 each. But not wanting to wait for shipping I called around and was told that XXXX Tire in Cocoa Beach was the place to call. I was told they had what I needed and they were like $7 each. I made the decision to go get them. XXXX told me that they were good to 250#

I brought them back and showed them to your manager and he said "Oh, we have those but they are only good to 100#". Once again dragging out that little book. So I called XXXX back to confirm and was called back in 5 minutes after they called their supplier. Sure enough 250# was the answer.

So one of the clerks looked up your valve stem and on their web site it said it was good to #200 pounds.

As you will know the two mounted tires had to be taken off and revalved.

So as I said....everyone was considerate, etc.....and frankly the book was the culprit! And your people are trained by that book.

Another thing happened and other than wanting you to know the problem with your book something else actually irritated me more. It seems you have an automated system to inflate tires to 60 PSI. But as already established I needed 110 pounds. They tried to rig something but could not fill my tires more than 90 pounds with a manual system.

Which once again begs the question of why do you sell me a 110# tire when you can only fill it to 90#'s?

AS I STATED ABOVE....MAKE SURE YOUR SUPPLIER/INSTALLER KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING. If I had asked a few more questions up front it might not have taken all day to install 4 tires.

And next time I am going to XXXX Tire in Cocoa Beach.

lwmcguir

Any tire shop that sells and services truck tires will have the HP valve stems. (both metal and rubber) If they just do car LT tires then you may run into what Gary did. We have never had an issue due to all the trucks out in the heartland using HD tires for the last 40 or so years. There are some rubber valve stems that are rated to 110 or above as well and that is all that will work in some OEM wheels. There is a lot to know out in tire/wheel land and apparently many are still learning.

dalspot

Just ordered 5 Maxxis tires for our Sundance 3300QS. I can't wait to get them swapped out. We ran two seasons on the TowMax and when I noticed a line in the sidewall of one that looked like a long dimple I got very nervous. Especially after reading all the posts on here.

Luckily the tire place that will do the install is only a half-mile down the road. It's a shame as the original tires had less than 2,000 miles on them, but we're not taking any chances!

I also had a bit of a hard time finding them online. I suspect after the review in Trailer Life that they've become quite popular.

Karen