What to Tow a LM San Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.

doxiecouple

kary, what is your suggestion for the correct Ford tow vehicle for the Landmark San Antonior Ours is ordered and now I am researching the best Ford to buy. Leaning towards the F250 SRW FX4. I towed a 38 ft Montana 4 slides with a 2006 F-250 FX-4 for two years with no problems. Any thoughts are welcome.

jnbhobe

Re: New San Antonio

kary, what is your suggestion for the correct Ford tow vehicle for the Landmark San Antonior Ours is ordered and now I am researching the best Ford to buy. Leaning towards the F250 SRW FX4. I towed a 38 ft Montana 4 slides with a 2006 F-250 FX-4 for two years with no problems. Any thoughts are welcome.

You need at least a F-350 SRW LB with an 11.5 GVW, but a F-350 DRW would be better.

danemayer

New San Antonio

Spend the extra $1000 on the F350. The F250 and F350 have the same towing capacity, but the F350 has significantly higher payload. The San Antonio will overload the rear axle of an F250.

Some people make it work because they already have an F250, but since you have the option, why take the risks caused by overloading?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jimtoo

Re: New San Antonio

Since we have gone to tow vehicles,, I moved thread to the correct area. :)

Jim M

sengli

The san antonio is 41 footer, which weighs in at the 16000 pound GVWR. You might be able to move the coach around with an F250, but it will be over loaded. You have stepped up to a large caoch, so you need alot more truck, to be safe. We recently went from a smaller coach to one similiar in size to your new one. We went with a 3500 DRW.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Another vote for a 3500/350. But not just any year will do. You need to verify the weights.

Check out this site: http://bybrv.com/

Even though we have a 2004 GMC 3500 dually, It doesn't match up with the weights of a San Antonio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

We have the F350 SRW with our 3055RL Big Horn and fully loaded for 6 month travel, per CAT scales, we are within 100 lbs. of our max payload...... You definitely need the F350 DRW.... WIsh I had gone that route and will on the next truck.....

ihsolutions

I doubt you would regret getting a DRW unless you live in a city downtown and it's your daily driver. On the other hand, speaking from experience, there's a good chance you will regret the SRW.

I've used both to tow my 38' Big Horn, and there's just no comparison.

MTPockets

Just another factoid FYI - My tires (most will be the same) are rated for 3415 lbs. per tire at 80 PSI... That's 6830 lbs. total on the rear axle which would be the limiting factor for the SRW regardless of what else you do to the truck.

dave10a

F350 SRW with the max factory installed suspension is the minimum truck. I heard Ford up'd the tow capacity of the 2013 models, but I have not been able to varify that. My 2012 diesel F350 SRW does a great job pulling my San Antonio from coast to coast and border to border. I got the SRW because it will fit in my garage, handles better in the snow than a Dually and it parks better while shopping. It is the minimum truck to pull a Landmark, handles the load very well and it is within Fords design specs. I am very happy with this truck....

marvmarcy

Many folks tow with trucks that are just adequate for the load, most of them likely tow shorter distances on flat roads at moderate speeds for vacations. Braking is my primary concern because I tow in mountains alot and am a fulltimer (more exposure on the road). The electric brakes on our trailers are adequate but will fade in hard braking or on long downhills, and if they fail, your truck must safely stop everything. I wouldn't consider any 3/4 ton pickup, especially with single rear wheels, to be safe for my circumstances (and I also have a big Landmark). I heartily concur with the 1 ton dually for your trailer, and make sure it has a strong exhaust brake. JMHO

BTW: If you look at my signature, you will see what most folks consider overkill, and I'm not recommending a big truck. However, I've had incidents where I was thankful that I had the Volvo; one was being rearended by a Silver Eagle bus that totaled the previous trailer and would have pushed the trailer through the truck if not for the massive hitch and truck.

Birchwood

Go with the F350 DRW and you will never look back.The F250 is a cute truck but not met for hauling a Landmark

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
As long as you have traction. There is no difference from a 3/4 ton to a 1 ton DRW during braking with a load. Same breaks, so how can a DRW stop better?

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Matt, could it be that you have more tire on the ground?

Braking doesn't come from the tires. Tires only transfer the stopping power to the ground. As long as you have traction (2) more tires will not add to it. If the tires aren't sliding then you can't benefit from more traction. Keep in mind, 70% of stopping force is at your front wheels.

Benefit would be upgrading your pads and rotors. Such as EBC Green Stuff #7000 and their drilled/slotted rotors. I am a huge fan of their stuff. It was a night and day difference on my Dodge. The other is EOH disc brakes on the trailer.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Matt, as an auto tech for over 45 years ...I do understand what you are saying. But the amount of rubber contacting the pavement does help stop a vehicle. With anti-lock brakes......sometimes its a mute point. The application pressure will only do what it will do under hard braking.

Status
Not open for further replies.