Solar Panels for charging battery

I would like to have a solar panel installed on the roof of our 11' Cyclone 3612 to keep our deep cycle battery charged when we aren't using the TH. So here are my questions: 1. Can I use the factory deep cycle battery or do I need two 6 volt batteries instead? 2. What size panels would be needed just to keep the battery charged up when not in use? 3. How would I keep the LP detector from using the charge from the panels and not allowing the battery to stay charged? Has anyone else done this to their TH and is it a big job to do? We live in the mid west and during the time we don't use the camper I just thought it would be easier to keep the battery charged using the panel. How does storing the camper in the winter inside a pole barn affect the panel if I pull the battery out during that time. If anyone has done this, could you pass some information along so I know what needs to be done to possibly make this happen this spring.

jlb27537

I would like to have a solar panel installed on the roof of our 11' Cyclone 3612 to keep our deep cycle battery charged when we aren't using the TH. So here are my questions: 1. Can I use the factory deep cycle battery or do I need two 6 volt batteries instead? 2. What size panels would be needed just to keep the battery charged up when not in use? 3. How would I keep the LP detector from using the charge from the panels and not allowing the battery to stay charged? Has anyone else done this to their TH and is it a big job to do? We live in the mid west and during the time we don't use the camper I just thought it would be easier to keep the battery charged using the panel. How does storing the camper in the winter inside a pole barn affect the panel if I pull the battery out during that time. If anyone has done this, could you pass some information along so I know what needs to be done to possibly make this happen this spring.

Hello Willie: I'll try to help. 1. Solar can be used to charge any type of re-chargable battery, so no, you do not need to change batteries. However in a house battery use, true deep cycle types are better and the golf cart batteries fit that. 2. As to size just to keep the battery up while in storage, if you are thinking like a trickle charger a small 15 watt panel will do that. 3. Most of the LP detectors are in the 45-75ma of current draw so I would not worry about trying to un-hook it.

It looks like your frig is mounted in a exterior wall with a vent on the roof. IF so: mount the panel to the roof, run the 2 wires down behind the frig and connect to the 12dv wires in the back of the frig. We are talking about a small 15 watt panel connected this way. Use 12ga wire and put a 5a fuse in line.

The solar panel has to be exposed to sun light to make electricity, so when you park under a tree, in the shed, etc. it will not work. Winter storage, just take the battery out, keep it in the garage, charge it up once a month.

Jim
'96 Sahara, 300 CAT, 520W Solar

dave10a

I installed my 4 80 watt solar panels with unistrut to make them properly secured because Heartland's roofing on my trailer is not adequqate to mount the panels directly. Also I removed the two exide batteries and installed the type of batteries (4ea) that do not require venting behind the basement wall. Then I installed a 3kw sine wave inverter to make quailty power. Now I am fully capable to dry camp when needed. If one only wants to trickle charge their house batteries for storage then a 10 watt panel mounted on top of the air conditioner is adequate and that is the best place to mount a small panel. Dometic sells the panel and hardware for trickle charging.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have not been able to afford a decent solar setup on my current BH yet.

On a previous SOB, I purchased one of these very affordable setups from Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/solar-panel-kit-45-watt-68751.html

I thought if it doesn't work, I won't be out much cash.
Much to my surprise, it did work very well.

I mounted the panels permanently on my roof. I used a slightly upgraded regulator and hooked it to 2, 6v deep cycle RV batteries in series. Since it is plug and play, more sets can be added for more power.

If I was careful with my useage, I could go about 5-6 days without running my genny, or hooking up to shore power.
This was with only 45 watts. By adding another set of panels, it undoubtedly would be more efficient.

This would easily keep your batteries charged while in (outdoor) storage and would also be useful when you are out in your rig.

I may get another one for this rig. It's a good bang for the buck. Trace

Last edited:

Duramax1

http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-chargers/SP-5.html

This is the first storage season that I have used this solar charger and so far it has kept my batteries fully charged inspite of the fact that I live in Vancouver which typically is quite wet and dreary during the winter months, much like Seattle.

I simply place it on the roof of the trailer and use a rope to tie it down so that it will not be blown away.

I do however have a disconnect switch for my batteries so that there will not be any parasitic load during the storage months. In the abscence of having that, simply disconnect the positive battery cable.