How long will my propane last?

StuartT

We are new to this 5th wheel and are wanting some winter adventure. With outside winter temps running around 40-45 degrees days, 20-25 degrees nights, and having 30# propane bottles, how long will we likely go on these two tanks if we do some winter camping without hookups? We would try to be reasonably conservative, but do not want to be uncomfortable? I just don't know it two small tanks like this make it worth heading out.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It's a guess but I would say 10 days on the high side. Hot water usage, cooking and the furnace all consume LP plus the refrigerator at a bit lower rate of consumption. The furnace will be the highest usage of LP.

danemayer

Use one tank at a time and keep the 2nd tank shut off until the first one is empty. It'll be inconvenient if the 1st tank runs out at 3AM, but you'll know when you've used 1/2 of your propane. Or you can leave them both on and assuming your regulator has a color indicator, check it morning and evening to find out when the primary tank is empty.

If you plan on having water in your fresh tank and holding tanks, you'll need to keep the thermostat higher than you might otherwise tolerate, because you need to pump hot air into the underbelly to keep tanks from freezing.

FlyerChief

You will also need to watch your battery usage.....the furnace blower will use up a battery in a hurry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

StuartT

I do have a sight indicator on the regulator I will keep an eye on.

10 - 14 days? Wow, I would love to see that, but staying up late at night kills that possibility for us I would think.

The batteries are fortunately new. And as I said, we stay up late at night watching TV. With satellite, and therefore the receiver, TV and inverter, we do draw some extra power. To compensate, I plumbed a 12-2 extension cord from the 110V panel to the front cargo bay so I can pull it out and plug into a EU2000i in the bed of the truck to recharge the batteries each day. That will help offset the heater fan consumption.

GOTTOYS

You biggest problem will be the battery. With the furnace running and a couple of lights I doubt a single battery will last one full night. Best to run your genny until bedtime and have at least a couple batteries in service...Don

StuartT

You biggest problem will be the battery. With the furnace running and a couple of lights I doubt a single battery will last one full night. Best to run your genny until bedtime and have at least a couple batteries in service...Don

The new batteries are (2) 6 volt Interstate GC2-XHD-UT with 475 amps reserve capacity. THat should easily handle an overnight demand.

MTPockets

I do have a sight indicator on the regulator I will keep an eye on.

10 - 14 days? Wow, I would love to see that, but staying up late at night kills that possibility for us I would think.

The batteries are fortunately new. And as I said, we stay up late at night watching TV. With satellite, and therefore the receiver, TV and inverter, we do draw some extra power. To compensate, I plumbed a 12-2 extension cord from the 110V panel to the front cargo bay so I can pull it out and plug into a EU2000i in the bed of the truck to recharge the batteries each day. That will help offset the heater fan consumption.

I thought you were talking propane only.... Didn't realize you had no Elec.... That is the weak point... You'll run out of battery long before you run out of propane...

jnbhobe

If you have a 2K Honda just leave it run all night, it won't run out of fuel and you can't hardly hear it. You won't have to worry about a low battery.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
From experience...make sure your tanks are full! Absolutely, positively, no doubt about it FULL!!!! Don't take anyone's "word" that they are full...watch them fill them/weigh them...and have a third FULL tank for a spare!!!! [And make sure your battery(ies) is/are in excellent working order.]

Wharton

I would consider a catalytic heater purchase. They are much more efficient than the hot air furnace and consume 40% less propane plus you don't consume battery power. Would not run overnight but great for during the day.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Running on propane for heat, water heater, and refrigerator you might get 3-5 days on 1 tank in those colder temps. If you can run the refrigerator and water heater on electric you would be on the higher end of the 3-5 days. IMHO

StuartT

There is quite a spread in the numbers. From a low of 3 to a high of 14 days per tank. I would understand some difference due to variables in owner usage, but 3 - 14 is huge. Are all the tanks likely to be 30# tanks, or are there larger/smaller tanks on various models here that might be affecting the numbers?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There is quite a spread in the numbers. From a low of 3 to a high of 14 days per tank. I would understand some difference due to variables in owner usage, but 3 - 14 is huge. Are all the tanks likely to be 30# tanks, or are there larger/smaller tanks on various models here that might be affecting the numbers?

We have 2 40# tanks on the Landmark. We had 2 30# tanks on our previous 5er (Alfa Gold). We use a Polonis electric heater to supplement the furnace. We keep the furnace set on 65. The 40# tank will last 5-7 days in 20 degree weather, and 14-20 days in 50 degree weather. Much of the length of time a tank lasts depends on the setting of the thermostat and what is using the Propane. Using it just for the furnace you will get the upper end and using the furnace, refrigerator, and water heater will be on the lower end. If you want to keep the RV at 75 degrees you will go thru much more than by keeping it at 60-65. Remember you can always put on a sweater or sweat shirt.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We're currently in Durango, Co. Been here 6 days. We are on full hookups, keep our thermostat at 63, with a small forced air fireplace in the living area (much like the ones that come in 5vers) and a Vornado heater in the bedroom. The fireplace and the Vornado do not run all the time. The furnace runs about every 15-30 minutes, for about 10-15 minutes at a time. We changed out the thermostat to a digital Honeywell, which helps keep the temp more accurately regulated. We use about 1/4 to 1/3 of a 30# tank per day. Temps range from 38 degrees high, to 7 degrees as a low. We are quite comfy. (Also note fridge and WH on electric, but we have cooked about one meal a day on the stove.)

Now the ElkRidge doesn't have the insulation of the bigger 5vers, but probably has more than a TT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: