llc from montana

danemayer

Here's a past thread on this topic. As you'll see, there are mixed opinions and reported experience.

Maybe you should consult a tax attorney in your local area to find out how your local people will view it if they find out.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Our BH and TV are registered in Montana............but we own property their. You might have to do a LLC in Montana to pull it off.

doxiecouple

My CPA did a Montana LLC with his Class A in 2011. Early 2012 he had a visit from the tax boys from Alabama wanting their money. He laid some tax laws on them, stood up to them and they have never returned nor sent him a bill. Also, I have found out that very few financial institutions want to finance a rig with Montana LLC status. I even called two LLC attorneys and both, to their credit, advised that I get the approval from the bank before doing the LLC.

marvmarcy

Too much depends on your circumstances and the laws of your state of residence; therefore, I recommend contacting a local TN tax lawyer and then contact Bennett Law Offices in Missoula, MT for their evaluation (usually no charge). I believe it costs around $1,000 for Bennett to set it up, with a small annual fee thereafter. In general, a motor vehicle must be licensed in the state where it is primarily garaged, so LLCs work best for fulltimers that don't spend much time in any state.

I'm a MT reident, and my wife has a MT LLC for her business (corporate recruiter). Our vehicles are registered in our names in MT, not through the LLC. A MT LLC costs $50 initially (if you file the easy paperwork) and $15 annual fee.

MT has no state sales tax but has some local sales taxes on lodging, resturants, etc. No motorhome registration (tag and title including all annual taxes) costs more than $300 no matter how expensive the rv. Trailers, powered watercraft, motorcycles, and cars/trucks 11 years old or more can obtain a permanent tag with no additional fees (except watercraft).

Do your homework well, or you may have serious problems, but many rvs are legally registered to a MT LLC.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The only thing with a financed vehicle in MT is you have to have the finance company fill out a MT form stating that its OK to register it in MT. I did not have any problems with either vehicle doing this. We have always had an out of state delivery done when buying a vehicle. This way have never paided Ca. sales tax or registration fees. The one thing to remember is that, what ever county it is registered in, thats the court house you have to contact for any information. Ours is Musselshell County. Very nice people in the court house.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Skinnyrabbit why would you want to register it there when you live in Tennessee. Our plates cost us 18.00. No state income tax, insurance rates are low.

i dont know about motana tags but my 2013 bighorn tag cost 687.00 dollars .that was for tag and advalorem tax on the trailer.this cost only comes down a few dollars each year.a very high cost for trying to have a nice camper

mobilcastle

Skinnyrabbit why would you want to register it there when you live in Tennessee. Our plates cost us 18.00. No state income tax, insurance rates are low.
No sales tax?-I think that is the idea to eliminate sales tax. Think about a $300,000 MH at 7% sales tax which is what it is here in Ohio-it's highway robbery! $21,000 (tax)