Black tank problems

soilmovers

My husband and I took delivery on our '08 3055 in June. We use it for our business and set up on job sites- most of the time dry camping. It has been a pleasure to come in from the job to our "home". No more hotels and restaurants!
Now, done to business. From the beginning, the black tank did not want to drain completely. When I opened the valve, water gushed out (clear elbow) for a minute or so and then it stops completely. It took multiple fresh water fills to finally get solids to come thru.
YES, we use plenty of water, single ply paper (even tried no paper in the tank- ugh) and switched chemical additives to find one that would work. No success.
A call to Heartland confirmed my biggest fear. It has to go back to the dealer. It appears the valve is not opening up all the way or it could be partially blocked.
At this time, it is impossible for us to pull up stakes at the jobs. Until we can get it in for repairs, it was recommended to try a "better" chemical that would break down the solids quicker.
We empty the tank about every two-three days and haul in fresh water in a 300 gallon tank. I need to find an additive that works quickly and effectively.
This forum has been a terrific tool! I have found many answers to questions and problems we had with the rig. I accept that it takes awhile to get the bugs out of any new piece of equipment. We are happy with the quality and comfort of our new Bighorn- see pics on our web (current locations page)
Thanks in advance!
Cindy

jpmorgan37

Cindy;

The best black tank additive that I have found is SeaZyme. You find it at larger marine dealers for use in boat/yacht holding tanks.

John

snuffy

Is it possible that it has the cut-out disk lurking in there blocking the flow or is Heartland the only one that doesn't let the disk fall in the tank. Several folks I know with another brand has this problem.

ChopperBill

I had a slow drain problem and ran a hose down the toilet and filled and flushed a bunch of times. What ever was in there finally let loose and it drains fairly good now. I say fairly because if you look at the holding tanks the all have a bulge in the bottom that is a hindrance to get all the stuff out. Just takes a lot of flushing to clean 'em. Oh, I use Happy Camper tank chemical and throw a dose of Calgon and dish soap down each one now. Sensors seem to work good and no smell yet.

HappyKayakers

I had to tear into mine when some TP got stuck in the valve seat. I found one of the infamous cutouts in the pipe just before the valve. Drains much better now without the 'butterfly valve'. But I still fill at least twice every time I dump to make sure everything washes out.

nscaler2

Ours has similar problem. It was a bad valve as well as the cutout plug still left in the tank. I don't know why they can't seem to do someting as simple as remove the cutout. It seems Heartland as well as all the others spend mor e time and money fixing simple things like this than it would cost them to do it right in the first place.

ChopperBill

nscaler2 said:
Ours has similar problem. It was a bad valve as well as the cutout plug still left in the tank. I don't know why they can't seem to do something as simple as remove the cutout. It seems Heartland as well as all the others spend more time and money fixing simple things like this than it would cost them to do it right in the first place.
Because there are dummies like me that fix 'em ourselves and it don't cost 'em a nickel. Upside is that we got trailers that are fixed right! :D

soilmovers

Thanks for the quick replies.

Until it goes back to a dealer, I will try these suggestions. I appreciate everyone's input!
Cindy