'12 LM Key Largo Mod - Added Light in Bathroom

jbeletti

For as many lights as there are (5) in the 2012 Key Largo bathroom, you'd think I'd have enough light :)

But, I felt it was a bit dark on the commode side of the room. The fix was to add a ceiling light on the south side of the ceiling vent fan - to match the one on the north side of the ceiling vent fan.

Took me about an hour today and I got it done.

Parts Needed:
  • 1 ea LED Ceiling Fixture with Glass Shade (order from Heartland Customer Service)
  • 3 ea Screws (to mount fixture to luan ceiling panel)
  • 2 ea Red Wire Nuts
  • 6 ft DC Electrical Wire (pair)
Shop Supplies Used:
  • Wire Coat Hanger - though a stiff wire or fish tape could be used
Tools Used:
  • Phillips screwdriver (medium point - for removal/re-install of vent fan trim)
  • Phillips screwdriver (small point - for light mounting screws)
  • Tape measure
  • Pencil
  • Drinking glass that was 3.5" in diameter (or compass set to 3.5" or equivalent template)
  • Utility knife (or 3.5" hole saw, sheet rock hole cutter or similar)
  • Wire Stripper / Cutter
Steps:
  1. Switched existing ceiling light off and removed the light to determine wire routing (pull down on fixture, carefully pull down spring-clip on one side and pull it out of ceiling hole, then do same to other side - unwire and replace wire-nuts on coach wiring)
  2. Removed ceiling fan trim (4 screws - then pull straight down)
  3. Determined where I wanted light by measure existing light. Marked location in pencil in ceiling panel
  4. Drew around a drinking glass that was 3.5" to mark exact hole location for new light
  5. Used utility knife to carefully cut circular hole, then removed round piece of luan. Used my finger to remove foam insulation to a depth of about 1"
  6. From the new light hole in ceiling, pushed metal hanger with small hook on the end, through foam insulation and out through an existing hole in the vent fan framing. Pulled wiring back through hole with small hook in end of hanger
  7. Routed wire around outside of vent fan plastic trim - the part that is attached to the fan in the ceiling
  8. In my coach, in the corner of the vent where the manual operation knob is, there is a small tube with some DC wiring that goes through the vent fan framing. I was able to poke an end of the hanger through that tube and into the foam insulation. I then pushed the other end of my new light wiring into that protective tube and into the ceiling, near the existing ceiling light
  9. I then poked the small hook end of the hanger from the hole where the existing light fixture was mounted, over to where I pushed the new light wiring into, hook it and pull it out
  10. Using the yellow wire nuts removed from the existing light, I wired in and installed the new light in the new location
  11. Using red wire nuts, I wired back in the existing light and the wires for the new light
  12. I reinstalled the existing light
  13. Tested lights, admired, cleaned the mess up!
Here are some pictures from the project:

Before
Before - Note dark corner by cabinet.jpg

After
After - Note well lit corner by cabinet.jpg After - Note well lit commode area.jpg

Project Pics
Bathroom Vent Fan - Trim Removed.jpg Hole I Cut in Ceiling for Light.jpg New Wire Pulled to Existing Light between Medicine Cabinet and Vent Fan.jpgLED Light and Shade.jpg After - Light Installed - Vent Trim Re-Installed.jpg After - Ceiling View.jpg

jnbhobe

Re: Landmark Key Largo Mod - Added Light in Bathroom

Nice work and documentation Jim, so is this comsidered a reading light. lol

jbeletti

Not a reading light Jon - no room in this bathroom for a magazine rack :)

jnbhobe

No rack needed Jim, we have a carry in carry out policy. per Patti

jimtoo

Kindle works good also for reading...but the pages don't tear out in emergencies. :)

Jim M

rick_debbie_gallant

Landmark Key Largo Mod - Added Light in Bathroom

Very nice job JB, but just one question
How does one determine which is north, south, east and west in a moving home? Unless the pin box is assumed to be north, the rear is south which would make the drivers side east and the passenger side west.

But then would that work if you are in Australia?

I am sure boaters would agree that port and starboard makes more sense. But then so does DS and ODS as well as PB and REAR.

Just wondering. Guess I have to much time on my hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Rick - as common as DS and ODS are in an RV, not yet quite as common is North/South. North being the front of the coach and south being the rear - regardless of what direction the coach it's pointing or how many beers one's had :)

porthole

Retired
North - roof - south bottom????

At the firehouse, north and south refer to up and down and have a very specific meaning and expectation!

Cyberdave

Bow or Stern, Fore and Aft.. Wife just looks at me when I say something like it feels like she's down at the bow...

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Jim...why not ask the factory to move the stool light from it's current position, between the fan and the vanitylights, to where you plac ed the additional light....then a second light would not be needed in New units??

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The lights have a color range of 3200K +/- 200K. Just about right for me.
They put out 197 Lumens, have 15 LEDs and they are 110°cooler than the halogen fixture.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mmomega

AnyTimer
The lights have a color range of 3200K +/- 200K. Just about right for me.
They put out 197 Lumens, have 15 LEDs and they are 110°cooler than the halogen fixture.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the info Dave.