'12 LM Key Largo Mod - Added Light in Switch Cabinet

jbeletti

I saw this in another Heartlander's coach and just had to flatter him by doing it in mine. Wish I could remember who I stole this idea from :)

Anyway - you know how when a good many of the light switches are mounted in a switch panel of sorts behind a kitchen cabinet door? Unless it's really bright in that area, it can be hard to read what switch controls what.

Here's a cheap mod to add light just when you need it. The light I used is a battery powered, LED strip with a light sensor - from Ikea. No more Ikea near me now that I moved to the hills, so I ordered online from them. I bought 3 of them, gave one to a friend and will use the 3rd somewhere in the coach.

Took me about 15 minutes today to install this.

Parts Needed:

• 1 ea Dioder LED Light Strip from Ikea (p/n 501.266.05) - about $15
  • 1 foot of Velcro
  • 6 AAA Batteries
Tools Used:

• Scissors (to cut Velcro)
Steps:

1. I cut equal portions of both sides of Velcro to fit the back side of the light
  2. I affixed fuzzy portion of Velcro to the back of light
  3. I mated the other portion of Velcro to the fuzzy side on the light
  4. I test-fit where I wanted the light, then I remove the protective strip and firmly affix the light to the switch panel area (make sure that the sensor on the front corner of the light does NOT face the back or side of your cabinet - it should face towards the center of the area - in the direction of the light)
  5. I insert the batteries into the battery tube and installed it on the light (note polarity when placing the tube on the light - it only goes on one way)
  6. I tested the light by shutting the cabinet door. Viola! The light came on when I opened the door
Here are some pictures from the project:
Ikea Battery Powered Light Sensitive Light - Dioder - 501-266-05 - .jpg Light Installed and Off.jpg Light Installed and On.jpg

back2nature

I like this idea. So you are saying without any extra wiring the light will come on when you open the door? What trips it?

Sent from my cell using Tapatalk2

jbeletti

I like this idea. So you are saying without any extra wiring the light will come on when you open the door? What trips it?

Yes Laurie - that's what I am saying. There's a built-in photo-cell that sense lights and turns it on. Then I think it times out and turns off.

jbeletti

I may experiment with different mounting locations to get the best light on the switches. May even try it on the cabinet door, near the hinges.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We did something similar inside the hall cabinets of our new 3585RL. Mark found some flexible LED light strips to use in the washer/dryer cabinet, but that has a switch. He has a couple of motion sensor ones in the hall and a couple of puck lights you just push to turn on. They all do the job but the motion sensor ones are really cool.

Kristy

rick_debbie_gallant

Very nice. I have motion sensing battery operated lights on the indoor steps and outside steps. They are programmable to stay on 10 sec, 30 or 60 sec also plain old on. Many other uses for these lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

back2nature

Well, this looks like something to add to our to do list. Mike saw your photos and said he'll trade you for your nice, big, switch panel. :) He's not happy the way ours is a bunch of oddball little ones in different colors.

By the way, in that panel there is one switch for the outdoor security lights, both sides of the rv. Mike is going to split them, so we can turn them on individually. He ordered a three hole switch plate from the dealer yesterday. It will be switches for Porch, Door Side and Off Door Side. It will be simple because there are already two wires behind the security switch. That way we won't bother neighbors when we want a light on the door side.

Sent from my cell using Tapatalk2

Cyberdave

Jim,

Great idea, I was just looking at how to do this last night! Looks like a trip to IKEA in Houston is in order. Wife's already smiling.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Had the opportunity to see this mod up close and personal in Florida last week. It works great. Think I'm going to copy it also!

jbeletti

I have modified this mod since the initial work was complete. Gus - what you saw was the latest. For others, what I changed was to relocate the light to the inside of the cabinet door itself. I placed it vertically inside the door, just above the bottom hinge. In this manner, the light that is cast is much better than what I did at first.