Oven venting

back2nature

Okay, two years with this BigHorn, and I recently noticed that when the oven is on the hot air vents out at the back of the top of the range. It gets really hot there. I've had a couple of things melt that were sitting on the stove cover, because first I didn't know, then later I forgot. I never used the oven much before but now that we are full-timing and it's winter, I'm using it more. So we have to also open a window for oxygen.

I guess it's not a question here, but we were surprised there isn't a better vent for the oven.

Sent from my cell using Tapatalk2

Speedy

The vent hood does quite a good job of pulling the hot air out but nothing for reducing the temp of the back of the oven. Looks like a newer model of oven needs to be called out that would include external venting. Electronic ignition would be a huge improvement as well.

Doubt it will happen since most people use their ovens for storage based on the fact they are disappearing from Landmarks. Big Horns and Big Countries next???

VKTalley

This is a rumor that I heard, maybe Jim Beletti can verify it for us.....convection/microwave ovens have become less expensive to make so they are replacing the gas ovens with only a cooktop and the convection/microwave units. We recently upgraded our basic microwave oven with a Maytag convection/microwave unit after discovering that our gas oven is 50 degrees too cool (i.e. 350 degrees on the oven dial equaled 300 degrees on the oven thermometer inside the oven), that makes for some interesting baking. I personally like the idea of no gas oven and having the storage space there. I have used our convection oven several times now and love it. Much easier to use than the gas oven that I hate lighting. As for the heat coming out of the gas oven back...I just open the window over the stove top while I'm cooking.

jbeletti

I have no idea on the cost trend of convection/microwave ovens, but I know a large percentage of RVers do not use the gas oven. A good many have requested storage in lieu of the oven. So, it has now become an option. That's all I know. We prefer the storage but I completely understand and respect that many like or prefer using a gas RV oven. Glad we offer it both ways.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If I remember correctly, even our home oven vents heat at the rear of the cook top. It gets pretty darn warm too. The heat has to go somewhere. Remove excess with the vent hood and try to remember not to leave anything on that little ledge in the back.

back2nature

I'm glad we have the choice whether to use the convection or the gas oven. I had a convection oven in my stick house for the last 15 years and used it all the time, but the one in the rv seems to cook differently. I find that certain things, like cookies, seem to cook better in the gas oven in the rv. The thing about using the convection oven, it's so darn noisy, so I will sometimes use the gas oven because it's quieter. Mostly I use the microwave or stove anyway.

Westwind

If you have a vent your lucky, our 3070RL doesn't. The vent on our microwave vents into the trailer through a filter. Guess we would us the fantastic fan to take heat out.

back2nature

Our microwave/convection vents outside, but the gas oven vents inside the rv. Makes the kitchen pretty hot.

Birchwood

We use our stove oven 3 or four times per week and heat has never been an issue.Our convection /microwave oven
failed and we replaced it with a 30 in microwave.We are full timers,my wife is an excellent cook and would never use
a convection oven for her dishes.

aatauses

We are full timers and my wife uses the oven quite often. Yes, it will get warm, sometimes very warm on top of the stove--we run the vent fan to minimize the heat.
al
currently in Kenai, AK