Home made air bag leveler.

ChopperBill

I thought I would share this recipe for making your own air bag for leveling the trailer. It got me all exited about a new project! The original Air Leveler apparently is out of business. Home Made Air Bag

jpmorgan37

Bill:
Do you have any idea how much air pressure it would take to lift your coach two or three inches? It sure looks like a neat idea.
John

jpmorgan37

Thanks Bill.

I could throw away some of my 2 x 10's, which wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. Looks like a great idea, especially with some of the uneven sites around.

John

ChopperBill

The neat part is you can get your level perfect by adding or letting air out. With my Lynx levelers I seem to still be part of a bubble off.

christianson

When I was A fire chief we had this type of devise in our rescue truck ours were not home made but we could lift a fully loaded water tanker with them with not much air presure neat idea.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
ChopperBill said:
The neat part is you can get your level perfect by adding or letting air out. With my Lynx levelers I seem to still be part of a bubble off.

I've been about a half a bubble off for the last few years!:D

chardel

You mention the "device" is about 24" long - Is that enough to get both tires on it before adding air to lift one side to level? I guess I am also assuming that that is how it would work (which may not be the case - please correct me if I don't understand) This looks like a great idea but I don't have enouigh experience with this type of thing to really know just how it would work. Also, do you know how much leveling could be accomplished with the device? Again, I am asumming that with 8" flat hose, the max would be something less? Thanks for putting up with limited knowledge on some of these subjects.

ChopperBill

One should be enough. They raise the trailer about 4 inches. No reason why you couldn't make them as long as you wanted too. Some folks use two, but it you do you are not suppose to tie them together. Here is a link to an outfit that make another style. Leveling Solutions I think they look like a saddle UNDER the sow!

ChopperBill

Like I said most folks only put it under one tire. It is kind of like those ramps you pull up to change a flat. One tire goes up in the air while the other tire goes up the ramp. After making one and you think you need more just make another. $20 a pop is not a bank buster.

Uncle Rog

That is a great tool Chopper, if you can raise the rig four inches that would be a great thing, with little effort. I agree with your saddle under a sow assessment. Two of that design would be a clean deal, no place for "critters" to hide and surprise you......

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
ChopperBill said:
Like I said most folks only put it under one tire. It is kind of like those ramps you pull up to change a flat. One tire goes up in the air while the other tire goes up the ramp. After making one and you think you need more just make another. $20 a pop is not a bank buster.

CB - won't this cause the tire that is on the flotation to exceed its weight rating as it now has the entire weight of the one side on it?

slaytop

How solid is this under the wheels? Does the trailer move more while moving about inside with flexible springs, tires and air bags supporting the weight on the one side? Although I have stabilizer jacks in the rear, they don't prevent the trailer from some movement as the springs & tires are still able to flex. It would seem that the air bags would be less solid and be more likely to permit movement under the tires.

5erWonk

Bill,

Great info, I too will be chopping up my 2x10s for the camp fire.

I was just thinking it might be nice to rig up the same kind of compressor I have on my truck for the Firestone air bags to use on these levelers....Ah another project!!

ChopperBill

These air bags arnt something new. If you go to RV.net and do a search you will find lots of folks that wont use anything else. I wasnt interested at first because of the price. I can throw $20 bucks at the rig after all that I have spent on it.

Forrest Fetherolf

slaytop said:
How solid is this under the wheels? Does the trailer move more while moving about inside with flexible springs, tires and air bags supporting the weight on the one side? Although I have stabilizer jacks in the rear, they don't prevent the trailer from some movement as the springs & tires are still able to flex. It would seem that the air bags would be less solid and be more likely to permit movement under the tires.

slaytop,

The air bag under the tire will add more bounce to the already bouncy system of wheels, springs, etc. The air bag can be compressed as load increases just by someone walking in the RV.

I have checked into hydraulic jacks from Lippert that can be powered by the existing hydraulic slide motor. Two hydraulic jacks mounted behind the rear axle would level side to side, front to rear, eliminate the wheel/suspension bounce, and lift the rig high to change/rotate all 4 tires at once. The alternative is to install two electric or mechanical 7500 lb scissor jacks in lieu the hydraulics jacks. Hydraulic jacks cost about $800 vs $125 for mechanical scissor, plus labor to install either system.

Forrest

slaytop

Forrest,
I can see a great advantage of having a system to level, stabilize and give safe emergency jacking all in one package. Please let us know if you ever follow through with the idea.

ChopperBill

Harbor Freight offers a Electric Scissor Jack For around $70 bucks but it is only 2 ton. Could use two. They also have an air over hydraulic that would be put to work that may be the best way. Trouble is if you want to mount these things you are going to have to buy two of everything. Any post I have read about the air bags no mention of more bounce. I know the air bags with 30-40 pounds in 'em make the truck as solid as a rock.