Converted Satellite System to SWM (single wire multiplex)

jbeletti

I believe others on the forum have done this and now it was my turn.

What:
Convert existing Winegard SK-3005 satellite system to Single Wire Multiplex.

Why:
My home has a home dish on the roof that has SWM built into it. I have an RV garage as part of my home. At time, I like to have the TVs usable in the RV while it's in the garage. For my own use and for use by guest that may be using the RV while they visit (this we've already done).

I determined the parts needed (4) plus some shop supplies, ordered 3 of the parts off eBay and today was install day. I asked my friend, neighbor and Heartlander, HowardBJr to come over to assist. This install took about 2 hours from start to end, including testing and cleanup.

Parts Needed:

• 1 SWM8 Multiplex Switch
  • 1 Power Supply/Inserter
  • 1 Satellite Splitter (Needed a 2-way but an 8-way came with the bundle I bought)
  • A/B Switch (I had one that so far seems to work - though not tested to 2150 mHz)
  • Shop Supplies (RG-6 coax, RG-6 connectors, F-81 splices, marker ties, tie wraps, screws)
Tools Used:

• Coax Stripper
  • Coax Connector Compression Tool
  • Small Side Cutters
  • Screw Gun with Phillips Bit
  • Screw Driver with Square Bit
Steps:

1. My install was designed to be easily removed for when I move out of this demo coach as I want to take the SWM stuff with me to the next coach. I first determined where to mount the 4 items
  2. We removed the screws from all the TV wall plates in the UDC and pulled the plates out to expose all the cables/connectors. I had already previously toned all the lines and tagged them behind the plates. So one at a time, we removed the 4 satellite dish lines, extended them to the SWM8 and connected them up
  3. We removed the Living Room 1 and Bedroom 1 satellite lines, extended them to the satellite splitter and connected them up
  4. We added the A/B switch, ran a line from the B side to the jack in the UDC next to the Cable TV jack
  5. We ran a line from the A side of the A/B switch to the IRD port of the power supply
  6. We ran a line from the common port of the A/B switch to the input of the satellite splitter
  7. We ran a line from the SWM port of the power supply to the power input port of the SWM8
  8. We connected to home satellite signal to the jack in the UDC that connects to the B side of the A/B switch, set the switch to B, plugged the power supply into AC power and went inside the RV
  9. Turned on the TV and HD DVR and viola! It worked!!
Note:
I had already previously reconfigured the satellite receiver for my dish and switch type

Here are some pictures from the project:
Install - zoomed out.jpg Install - zoomed in.jpg SWM-8 Multiswitch, Power Supply and 8-Way Splitter.jpg AB Switch for RV vs Home Satellite Systems.jpg Winegard SK-3005 SWM Conversion.jpg

I've attached a PDF of the wiring diagram for easier printing. It's from the Winegard website. I added the A/B switch to it.

Attachments

• Winegard SK-3005 SWM Conversion.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 39

mobilcastle

Very nice setup. You have a great schematic for a roof top setup. Could you modify the drawing for a temporary ground dish setup and post. I am streaming video from a computer at my home and it works great (no satellite or cable service needed). I am going to try to set that up in my Bighorn with a hot spot when we decide to go full time. If it does not work well I will need a setup for a dish which can be moved around.
Thank you
Steve

skyguy

We would love to do that as well, however, many of the RV parks we stay in have LIMITS on the amount of data you can download over your internet connection. Doesn't this put a big crimp on streaming video??

Al

danemayer

I am streaming video from a computer at my home and it works great (no satellite or cable service needed). I am going to try to set that up in my Bighorn with a hot spot when we decide to go full time.
If you have a hot spot tethered to a cell data plan, it better be unlimited data or it will be hugely expensive. If you're planning on using campground wifi, forget it. They either have limits, or they don't have enough bandwidth to support video streaming except maybe at 3AM.

For a standalone satellite dish, unless it's SWM, you don't need any of the stuff that Jim installed. Just connect the dish to the UDC satellite connector for your living room and connect the receiver to the satellite connector in the entertainment center.

There are COAX wiring layouts in the tools/manuals section of the forum.

jbeletti

Hi Steve,

My project, converting my RV satellite system to SWM was done only to make it easy for me to connect the RV satellite receivers to my home satellite system. Most people won't need to do this sort of thing. But for those that do - hopefully my documentation will inspire them to do theirs.

If you were to buy a ground mounted dish now, it will be SWM - so you won't need my conversion.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We converted our directv dish for the big country to the swm system mainly to have only one line from the portable dish to the coach. It wasn't hard to do since we don't have the roof mount. More power to you Jim for tackling a roof mount.

porthole

Retired
JB,

Since I am in the SAT world now all of this makes sense - didn't before.

So, have you looked into the Genie upgrade?

That is what we have. In the house it is one DVR and 3 "clients" for 4 TV's.
#4, the spare bedroom relinquished it's client to the Cyclone's bedroom TV where it will stay for the season.

When we leave the main receiver is moved to the trailer and sits on angle brackets behind the TV, not visible.
The newest stuff comes with RF remotes, usable as either RF or IR. RF means no line of site and hidden is possible.

What is a pretty neat feature is programming your TV to the remote. Besides giving you remote access, is that the remote, when using the main power button supplies a RF signal to the receiver followed by an IR signal for the TV.
And it is smart enough to only turn on the TV if the receiver happens to be on. There is a separate button that only powers "off".

Unlike several universal remotes I have tried over the years.

jbeletti

JB,

Duane,

Last time I checked (year ago), they wanted around $5-600 for the Genie and $100 for each client. So I just bought a regular HD box for the guest bedroom.

I'll have to look into it again to see if they'll treat me better.

porthole

Retired
Since it was a new account for me, the DVR and 3 clients were no charge for equipment. The 4th or more clients would have been $49.
Each additional above the main DVR receiver is $6 a month for the service.

Might have to hit them up with the "I am switching to Dish" routine.

Theresau

You can get the latest Genie DVR on eBay for $299. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIRECTV-HR4...US_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item43bc8badc2

Advantage of getting through eBay is it is for sure brand new and what you want. I used this method for both of the HR24's. Directv had no problem with this - called them and they activated.

However, my contract is coming up - I'm going to try to do the "dish" routine as well first...

Duane,

Last time I checked (year ago), they wanted around $5-600 for the Genie and $100 for each client. So I just bought a regular HD box for the guest bedroom.

I'll have to look into it again to see if they'll treat me better.

wdk450

We converted our directv dish for the big country to the swm system mainly to have only one line from the portable dish to the coach. It wasn't hard to do since we don't have the roof mount. More power to you Jim for tackling a roof mount.

You know, I have a Dish Network 1000.2 dish antenna with the triple LMB, and I have ALWAYS had 1 cable from the dish antenna to the receiver. Maybe it would have been easier to just go with Dish Network.

Theresau

Very interested in the new remotes and the Genies. Do you have the HR34 or HR44 Genie? The HR44 has an entirely different remote. The HR34 has the same remote per se as Directv has used before but can be IR.

Hoping we can get a deal with Directv when our contract comes up in September.

JB,

Since I am in the SAT world now all of this makes sense - didn't before.

That is what we have. In the house it is one DVR and 3 "clients" for 4 TV's.
#4, the spare bedroom relinquished it's client to the Cyclone's bedroom TV where it will stay for the season.

When we leave the main receiver is moved to the trailer and sits on angle brackets behind the TV, not visible.
The newest stuff comes with RF remotes, usable as either RF or IR. RF means no line of site and hidden is possible.

What is a pretty neat feature is programming your TV to the remote. Besides giving you remote access, is that the remote, when using the main power button supplies a RF signal to the receiver followed by an IR signal for the TV.
And it is smart enough to only turn on the TV if the receiver happens to be on. There is a separate button that only powers "off".

Unlike several universal remotes I have tried over the years.

porthole

Retired
Very interested in the new remotes and the Genies. Do you have the HR34 or HR44 Genie? The HR44 has an entirely different remote. The HR34 has the same remote per se as Directv has used before but can be IR.

Hoping we can get a deal with Directv when our contract comes up in September.

I have the HR34

The HR44 is the newest. It is a bit smaller, less fan use and uses an external power brick. The power brick is the reason for the size and fan use change.

The remotes can be either. I have all the older styles. After reading about hte changes I would opt to keep the older remotes, supposedly there are a couple buttons less that people miss, especially a "favorite" button.

As mentioned above, my remotes are the IR - RF version which can be purchased separately.

Just an FYI, DirecTV just put up on the website a wireless version (no coax) of the Genie client.

Theresau

Interesting on the wireless client - HR34 and 44 must have wireless capability built in as well - that is a great enhancement - wonder if you have to run this through a computer network or if the DVR and client can communicate directly. I really like the standard capability of the Directv remote (another "small" reason we've stayed with Directv) - good to hear could still use with the HR44.

My guess is needs to go through network and response could be slow depending on such.

Just an FYI, DirecTV just put up on the website a wireless version (no coax) of the Genie client.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
The units communicate with the house router, but I also have a DECA, whatever that is, in my system. That is for all the extras like the apps certain download-on demand stuff.

I also have a separate, connected to the router, device that allows me to copy anything on the DVR to a portable device. Haven't tried that yet to see if it works with apple TV.
Apple TV BTW, will not stream Amazon movies from the iPad to your TV

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I had DTV come to the house a few weeks ago and I now have the new HR44 and a client in our bedroom. The installer gave me an extra LNB (SWM with the green label) for my portable dish and all I have to do is move a few things to the rig and we should be OK. We won't worry about changing networks until we go south for the winter. I also acquired an extra power supply so I can leave it in the trailer ready to go. The dish pointing is the same so I shouldn't have any issues with that. I'll know next week if all is well when we go to the WI Rally.