Residental fridge

bpe

Wished Heartland would offer this in these "full time units". The gas absorbent units have never worked as well as a compressor unit. With these new "energy efficient" models an extra battery and a small inverter is all that would be needed to run it.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I asked this of a technician that was working on my Dometic RV fridge and he said that residential units with a compressor don't like riding down the road. The jostling is very hard on the compressor.I know that there are manufacturers that install them OEM and there are people that have replaced their's, but what about the long-term results?

bpe

I belong to several rv forums and many have replaced theirs with residential units. Never heard of a problem. Just praise for how good they work. Never read of a failure either with one. I am fixing to buy a new unit and wish I had this option.

porthole

Retired
I asked this of a technician that was working on my Dometic RV fridge and he said that residential units with a compressor don't like riding down the road. The jostling is very hard on the compressor.I know that there are manufacturers that install them OEM and there are people that have replaced their's, but what about the long-term results?

Our boat is a 1980, has the original "residential" fridge in it yet. And there is nothing like coming off a 10' wave to "test" your appliances.

mikeandconnie

We looked at many motor homes last year and they all had residential refrigerators. Open Range has a fifth wheel model with one from the factory.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
drv and redwood also offers them.

Another manufacturer using residential fridge is the Trilogy by Dynamax. It's a 22.6 ft. Side by Side with Ice & water in the door. It's powered by a 1000 Watt inverter while underway.

Birchwood

When my Dometic 4 door requires replacing the cost will be approximately $4000.This cost is unacceptable for a fridge.

bpe

Especially for an inferior unit. Before energy efficient models were made these were necessary. Older units used way too much energy. It is time for these manufacturers to wake up and offer the better units. It could be the deciding factor on me buying a landmark unit.