Insulation on 09 Big Country

I was told that my Big Country had the arctic package but during the winter it is extremely cold. I decided to remove the bottom cover in one section of the living room. Much to my surprise there is no insulation and there appears to be several areas that cold air can get in. I am going to insulate and was wondering if anybody has put insulation below the floor and what kind of insulation should I use. I was going to use foam around the corners and then use household floor insulation and make sure I seal the bottom cover. Any ideas?

Jim Bonhote
2009 Big Country
2006 F350 Crew Cab

mobilcastle

In my Bighorn the floor is made up of two boards that sandwich a thick foam insulation board. If you have no insulation you could use foam boards under the floor. If it would happen to get wet it will not be a problem.

danemayer

I just replaced and added insulation under the front bedroom in our Landmark. I got a roll of thick attic insulation and 4x8 sheets of 1/2" foam board insulation with foil on one side. Cut the foam board to the inside dimensions of the frame (6'6" on ours I think). Taped strips of the attic insulation to the non foil side of the foam board. Then pushed one side of the foam board above the lower edge of the frame, flexed the foam board a little and pushed the other side above the lower edge of the frame on the other side of the rig. The frame holds it all nicely and the coroplast goes back in place.

sengli

From the factory currently the "artic package" basically means they cover the underbelly with the coroplast, and there is a layer of that foil insulation in side that. Thats it. I believe you have to go to the high end landmark for there to be any batt insulation added in the belly.

GOTTOYS

Every time I read about "The Arctic Package" I get a chuckle. Probably the most over hyped term in the industry. Most of time it's not much but it does include the all important decal by the door. I would go right to the Manufacturer and see what it really is before listening to all the baloney you will get from a salesman about how great it is (and who knows more about baloney than me?)...Adding your own version of "The Arctic Package" sounds like a great idea to me. There's plenty of room to install at least some additional insulation and sealing up the coroplast certainly won't hurt anything. Just don't expect too much..Don

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We used spray foam to seal up holes around the slide rams and holes where wires come through the frame. I used blue painters tape on the outside of the frame to make a flat surface, and sprayed the foam from the inside of the frame (underbelly Coroplast was taken down). Wait for foam to dry, then remove the blue tape. Hit with black spray paint if you want it to be less noticeable.

Just don't seal the holes that are for the manual slide operation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I dropped the coroplast and installed 2" hard foam everywhere I could with construction adhesive and screws and doubled it where possible. Best 3 days I ever spent under the Horn. While your under there, add extra 2" flex to the duct from the heater that "heats" the underbelly. Run it along the frame and cut slits in it every 8-10". It will help keep water lines and the holding tanks from freezing. As a personal note, I got carried away with it and now have rediant floor heating. Our heater will now run you out of the Horn.