Looking for a way to take cookers along with us?

wildwolfproducts

Looking for a way to take our cookers along with us. Not both at the same time, but one at a time. Both weight more then I care to try and load after backing up to hook up.
One is this fish cooker. Holds 9 gallons of oil and does a great job cooking at our fishing Gatherings each year.
700-709-9-gallon-bayou-fryer.jpg150966_10151322346424137_700654092_n.jpg

Other is a Smoker and also gets worked out when were at gatherings for our fishing group. It has cooked 120 lbs of boston butts then pull those off and store in a cooler . Then smoke 70 lbs of Chicken leg Quarters.
https://id34137.securedata.net/smok...ager/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=152

Thought about putting a hitch on back of the camper and hauling one of them back there. Weight is around 150 lbs. But don't think I want to trust them bouncing around back there.
If I move up to a Class 8 Tractor to tow the camper. I will add a swing arm and winch to load them on the back of the truck and store them inside a storage box on back then. But for now looking for a better ideal.

jbeletti

Funny - we're both in TN and we're both thinking of ways to haul the cookers with us! I woke up about 6:30 am today and could not go back to sleep as I was thinking of the Sept. TN rally and bringing my small smoker to the rally.

For me, ideally, I'd have a double, 2" receiver hitch built and installed on the rear of the coach and slip a platform into the receivers to haul the smoker laying down on its side. Alas - I can't do that sort of thing to my demo coach :(

You're right on the 1-1/4" single receiver - I just wouldn't put a platform on that.

If you upgrade to the class 8 tractor - loading the cookers behind the cab will perfect!

Squatty

I'm not sure how to haul the cookers, but I want to place an order for 1 pulled pork sandwich and 1 chicken dinner. You making me hungry, and that's dangerous.

jbeletti

I'm not sure how to haul the cookers, but I want to place an order for 1 pulled pork sandwich and 1 chicken dinner. You making me hungry, and that's dangerous.

Don't stop there - how about a half slab of ribs? Back ribs or spare ribs? :)

oldmannj

Do you have the clearance in the truck bed for the cookers?? Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive truck crane rated at about 500 pounds. mounts to rear of bed but just load b-4 you hook up and unload after you unhook. Beyond that I've seen but never looked into wheeled platforms that move with the trailer advertised in trailer life. Thinking that's gonna be WAAAAYYYY expensive though. Hope you find a solution, and then It's Ribs and corn on the smoker for me ;) !!!!! ED

jbeletti

I have an aux fuel tank in the front of my truck bed and only about 14" of space between the tank and the front of the 5th wheel hitch. So - no room in the bed for me.

jnbhobe

For me, ideally, I'd have a double, 2" receiver hitch built and installed on the rear of the coach and slip a platform into the receivers to haul the smoker laying down on its side. Alas - I can't do that sort of thing to my demo coach

I have just the thing for ya JB, I can take my generator off any time, but we will have to weld on your coach. LOL

dglatta

We removed the generator prep from our new Landmark Key Largo and now carry a Bradley Smoker in the front storage. Works like a charm!

wildwolfproducts

I have a 5.5 generator in the front of the camper so thats out plus trying to fight something this big in that would never work. It weights around 140 lbs or so. And would have to load it after hooking up to the camper. That or set the pin high and back up then drop it back down after clearing the smoker. As the smoker is even with the top of the bed when laying on its side.
Bought this one 10 years ago when they first hit the market. Was looking at one half its size. But when you get a chance to buy from the factory at less then half price new. I went with the big one rather then paying within $125. of what the smaller one cost. I have had 120 lbs boston butts on it. 70 lbs of chicken leg Qtrs 8 whole Briskets. Can do 32 sides of baby backs on it at one time. Its a cooking machine for sure. But guessing we will just buy the middle size like it to take along with us camping. Hate to do without the smoker. It makes life easy and turns out great BBQ.

Squatty its on its way new style. Called DSL delivery. LOL

Pete

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Most of us carry some sort of portable grill.
HERE IS SOMETHING that is an add on to the grill. Watch the videos.
A little over a hundred bucks, but wont take up much space, and installation is easy.

Peace
Dave

Phatkd

Most of us carry some sort of portable grill.
HERE IS SOMETHING that is an add on to the grill. Watch the videos.
A little over a hundred bucks, but wont take up much space, and installation is easy.

Peace
Dave

Now THAT is cool!! I wonder if it would work on a portable table top stainless steel bbq?