SOLVED: Plastic water heater nipple broke - How to remove

MTPockets

The plastic nipple on the Hot Water Heater was leaking and it broke during removal, all I got is the plastic male end still in the cast iron threads... I have the bronze replacement, but what's the best way to get the plastic piece out and not damage the female threads?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Re: Plastic water heater nipple broke - How to remove

I did that, but all I can get it to do is shave off some of the plastic.... It won't turn the nipple so i'm getting a thinner piece on the front edge due to the taper of the extracter.

Use the skinniest taper that will make contact inside the nipple and give it a little bump to kinda of jab it into the plastic the slowly crank it counterclockwise (lefty loosey) with steady pressure. It should come out, although not easily as you are experienceing.

Gaffer

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...ter-on-3055-rl?p=277844&highlight=#post277844

Some of them come out easy. Mine was a real *****. See my posts on the above thread to see what finally worked for me.

hillsonwheels

My solution was to use a hack saw blade to carefully cut plastic down to threads in four places. Then used a hooked probe to pry plastic out of threads. Once it starts coming out, it's a piece of cake.

Good luck!

MTPockets

I did that, but all I can get it to do is shave off some of the plastic.... It won't turn the nipple so i'm getting a thinner piece on the front edge due to the taper of the extracter.

Got it out - what a pain! ..... The extracter didn't work, but it shaved off enough plastic to allow me to use an old kitchen knife (well it is now) to cut the remaining plastic, (Didn't want to use one of my good pocket knives) then I used the same knife to pry off small pieces until it was mostly all out.... I used a finishing nail to clean out the threads. After I got it done, I thought about using a tooth brush, which I may do tomorrow, to remove any remaining grit. (Just hope I can put the brush back before she notices it gone)

roads64

im going through this problem right now. what a pain!!!! ive tried numerous things even the nipple extractor and still no luck. its just shaved all the plastic down but the threads are all still clogged. its almost like its cemented in there. plastic fittings are garbage. i dont have patience for this

tmcran

Used a propane torch. Heated the plastic .till it softened some. Then tapped the extractor in then let it cool. Came right out.