Turnkey Solar

readytohitheroad

We plan of living in a 40' fifth wheel and since we tend to boondock exclusively we desire to have the ability to run our rig off of solar to the greatest extent practical.

I also would not desire to do the initial install of the solar equipment

Who would you recommend to do the install (would also like them to provide sizing input)?

Also what should we expect to invest in this modification?

jbeletti

I have no real experience in this but I've seen some really nice, large capacity systems. I'm going to toss out a number... $10,000 might be what you can expect to hire out to have a system done that will allow you to largely live off solar recharged battery/inverted power.

There are some great resources online. Hoping others will weigh in on them.

Some of the items that may be in a larger capacity system:
  • Solar panels (maybe 4 of them??)
  • Charge controller
  • Battery bank (3 to 4 very large Lifeline brand AGM type)
  • Magnum or similar inverter
  • Fuses, wiring etc. (lots of heavy duty stuff)
  • Generator backup for when you have days and days of little sunshine to replenish battery bank

When you get it all sorted out and installed, circle back here with pictures and specs. What you do may inspire others.

Jim

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I can give you two places that came recommended to me. One in the SoCal desert and one in the Southern Arizona area.
I have not used either yet, but one came recommended from an Escapees Boondocker with a setup the caliber of the one Jim mentioned.
Please PM me if you are interested. Trace

Last edited:

jasons09cyclone

I just finished mounting and wiring up the second panel on my fifth wheel. For about two years I had been using just one 145 watt. 7.5amp Panel, charging two 6 volt deep cycle batteries from a 25 amp go power regulator.. In the summer It felt as if that one panel was all I needed to keep basic usage of the coach.. I will see with adding the additional 150 watt 7.9 amp panel to the mix.. I purchased the two panels, regulator all the wiring and mounting equipment from RV solar electric based out of Scottsdale Arizona for around 800$.. Next would be to find someone to install it if you don't want to do it yourself..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360481678.554596.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360481678.554596.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 112
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360481743.765629.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360481743.765629.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 116
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360481773.444524.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360481773.444524.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 117